New to Commercial; Critique my Script Please!

Mkookan7

Hello All,

I'm in my third month in insurance with Allstate and focus only on commercial. I've been calling to business, not directly to owners. To drum up business, I've used this script to call for BOP's:

Hello,

My name is ________, and I'm calling from _______'s Allstate Agency. I'm looking to speak with the person who handles your business insurance.

(...if I get to speak with that person...)

I was wondering if you were interested in a personalized quote for your business owners policy; I have one prepared that I would like to send over to you.

(From there I would more or less get an email address and best contact info)

Hello All,

I'm in my third month in insurance with Allstate and focus only on commercial. I've been calling to business, not directly to owners. To drum up business, I've used this script to call for BOP's:

Hello,

My name is ________, and I'm calling from _______'s Allstate Agency. I'm looking to speak with the person who handles your business insurance.

I was wondering if you were interested in a personalized quote for your business owners policy; I have one prepared that I would like to send over to you.

How could you possibly have a proper quote for a business you are just cold calling?

I wouldn't consider it a warm call, maybe if you know their xdate and current carrier...but a warm call, to me, is one where you've previously communicated with the prospect and they show some level of interest and you have some sort of rapport.

BOP's are easy to procure but I wouldn't come out of the gate saying I have one all ready prepared to send over. Especially given you don't know much about the business.

Maybe 'we have a new program for businesses in your industry and I'd like to offer you an alternative option. All I need to know is (insert 2-3 questions) and can email it right over to you'

Or 'we have a new program....and have helped out (insert recent success story of similar business) so I'd like to do the same for you. All I need to know...'

Just my opinion. If what you're doing is working for you then don't fix it, but maybe the above are useful options.

www.InsuranceXdate.com - Prospecting Data for Commercial Agencies

Hello All,

Hello,

Ugh! Never say this. If people were 'wondering' and 'interested'... they would be CONTACTING YOU!

There is no strength behind your question, nor is there any power behind it. Plus, by simply "giving a proposal"... you're giving the other person WORK. By requiring them to do more work, you are increasing their level of PAIN to work with you.

Work in something like this: "My name is DHK with XYZ insurance. We've been seeing a great deal of success in reviewing coverage needs of _______ businesses in the area. I would like a chance to talk to you about your current coverage and see how we can compete for your insurance business."

How are you quoting a business without any detailed information? My guess is most business owners will wonder the same. It's a bit presumptuous/arrogant on your part to assume you can quote a business without knowing much about it.

Ask for the opportunity to sit down with them and do a review.

Lastly, I would say get some experience to see if you want to stay with insurance, then get as far away from Allstate as possible.

Your are targeting small business I am assuming so always ask for the owner.
Shoot high and the get passed down - DO NOT try to work your way up from office managers.

You cannot possibly have a quote ready - My script is super easy

Hey ___ how are you? Great! I wanted to ask you what time of year you renew the business insurance and if you periodically will put it out to bid?

Make sure to ask for all lines you can handle. Commercial Autos personal everything!

You are too new to use some fancy pitch - If they are coming up for renewal gather the underwriting information or set an appointment... The premiums are low enough that you could probably quote on the spot over the phone.

Save every X-date you come across in a CRM - and set call back times 60-90 days prior. Over time you will have yourself a nice database and fresh x-dates every month to call on to supplement your cold calling.

All great advice, and I appreciate it.

I'm just curious why it is frowned upon to use Salesgenie information to provide a preliminary quote? I've sold two BOP's using this technique; neither of which wanted to change any part of the initial quote. Maybe just luck?

It can be misleading as you have no idea what their loss runs are, payroll in each class code, work mod, current liability limits, and etc. Too many unknowns. The fact they didnt have you change anything on your initial BOP quote is kind of scary.

I would say its probably a waste of your time as well. The time you are taking to do quotes could be used on the phone prospecting. Those that gave you the opportunity with your preworked quote woild probably have given yoi the opportunity without a preworked quote.

How are you quoting a business without any detailed information? My guess is most business owners will wonder the same. It's a bit presumptuous/arrogant on your part to assume you can quote a business without knowing much about it.

Ask for the opportunity to sit down with them and do a review.

Lastly, I would say get some experience to see if you want to stay with insurance, then get as far away from Allstate as possible.

Take all the education you can from them and learn. If you want to stay in the business great...then look to go on your own. They keep doing things to hurt agents.

----------

All great advice, and I appreciate it.

I'm just curious why it is frowned upon to use Salesgenie information to provide a preliminary quote? I've sold two BOP's using this technique; neither of which wanted to change any part of the initial quote. Maybe just luck?

It could be the type of business that made it ok. It could be they do not know any better. Business owners are not insurance people and may think what you sold them is what they have, but cheaper.

Back