No More Cold Calling (How to Make Sales FUN Again!)

tjanusz

Has this happened to you?

I was going through my database, making cold calls. For the most part, I was leaving voicemail messages that ended with "call me back to set up a 30-minute appointment so that I can show you how we can help you improve your business."

As you might expect, nobody called me back.

Frustrated, I decided it was time for a radically different approach. So I set up a new program, not to get into new companies and give sales pitches but instead to simply provide lunch and valuable information for their employees. While the employees were enjoying their food, I would present a session on "Time Refuses to be Managed: How to Manage Yourself Instead."

Something marvelous began to happen!

For my first presentation, the CEO of a $54 million defense contractor attended the session. (When do you get an audience with the CEO for an hour on the first sales call?) Then, because I was able to build trust and because she felt she was in a safe, relaxed environment (rather than part of a high-pressure sales pitch), she came up to me at the end of the session to ask me for my help! We just had a follow up one-on-one meeting with her that could result in a contract of nearly $50,000, all for the price of a few pizzas!

Next, I conducted a luncheon session at which the vice presidents attended for whom I had left those same cold call voicemail messages (that were, of course, not returned). At the end of that presentation, they came up with ideas on how we could establish a partnership.

On that Friday I had a follow-up call after another luncheon presentation. This was a “warm” call, definitely not a cold call. It was the lowest pressure and most productive early sales call I had have been on in my 25 years of sales! I had already built trust.

The power of reciprocity is part of human nature - if somebody feels you have already done something for them, they want to reciprocate. In this particular case, the potential client was falling all over himself, writing a testimonial, and giving me the regional manager and national manager contact names. "But let me call them first for you," he said.

Simply amazing!

I got this idea from the original Macintosh evangelist Guy Kawasaki who said, in this current economy, to be effective, you need to provide "99% information and 1% promotion." Once customers feel you have provided content, they will listen to a small sales pitch. But certainly not the other way around.

Salespeople would feel less stress and be more effective if they were to use a method like this: Initially provide value to the prospect. Get them to trust you.

What topic could you offer to benefit employees of a local organization? Give them something of interest from their perspective, not yours. Let’s say you are giving a presentation to college students who will soon be entering the workforce (and looking to buy insurance on their own). You could deliver a session on “How to Become a Millionaire by the Age of 30.” Then include in the presentation all of the steps necessary to have a secure financial future. Rather than delivering a “sales pitch” to just one person, you can reach dozens even hundreds of potential clients at the same time.

Once you've built trust and a relationship, they'll want to buy from you. People love to buy but they hate to be sold. You won't need to sell them.

Sales can actually be fun again!

I think your "99% of information" is missing the "1% of promotion."

Where or where may be buy your books, recordings, turn-key system and personal coaching so we can become as successful as you?

Have you even sold insurance?

For the most part, I was leaving voicemail messages that ended with "call me back to set up a 30-minute appointment so that I can show you how we can help you improve your business." As you might expect, nobody called me back.

Wow, I'm shocked nobody called back from your compelling message...
So I set up a new program, not to get into new companies and give sales pitches but instead to simply provide lunch and valuable information for their employees. While the employees were enjoying their food, I would present a session on "Time Refuses to be Managed: How to Manage Yourself Instead."
A new program? The "Lunch & Learn" concept has been around forever. Glad you're having success with it.

I think your "99% of information" is missing the "1% of promotion."

Where or where may be buy your books, recordings, turn-key system and personal coaching so we can become as successful as you?

Me too....I'm excited
Can't WAIT to INVEST a small amount in such a wonderful innovative p/s....pleeeeeeeeeze
TELL us where we can get such a cutting edge
lotion....
I mean potion,
Sorry I meant...

What flavor is the kool-aid, again?:goofy:

I went to a Humana "dine & dash" meeting last year.

I got an invite in the mail and I wanted to see how the Humana crew ran the show. Okay, that and dinner was free.

As expected, the room was full of "plate lickers" and as soon as their meals were done, so were they. "Out the door and see no more".

I think they got a few leads out of it. But let's do the math:
Feed 20 people: at least $10 each
Direct mail advertising to get me there: lots of money
4 guys standing around looking like vultures: priceless !!

Yes the op is full of crap, but I enjoy putting on free Senior events every month or 2.

I do free events at communty locations. The harvest is not always immediate, but there are a handful of places that use me as their "go to guy". It turns into a couple of pieces of business each month.

Haven't ran into any defense contractor VP's yet :(

Back