Overcoming the "I Already Have Insurance" Objection

IliaAlpharetta

I am a relatively new health broker and I try to set appointments by calling aged leads. Half of the time they don't pick up or the phone is disconnected (these leads are anywhere from a few months to a few years old). But when I do get somebody to answer the phone, I tell them, "At one time it looks like you requested some information on affordable benefits. I'm simply following up to see what interest or need you may still have in that." Usually they say something along the lines of, "I already have health insurance". After which I am stumped, ask them a few questions, tell them that I could get them something better, and proceed to TRY and set the appointment with no luck (that is If they don't hang up on me). Basically I know that I should convey the message of "what I have to offer is better and more affordable", and then proceed to set the appointment. But being new, I lack the ability to structure a proper response which would get them interested in meeting with me.

So I would like to ask more seasoned agents, how do you go about overcoming that objection and turning it into an appointment. Any input would be greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance!

here it goes...

"im glad you see the importance of owning a policy. But (insert lead name here) I am not calling you to sale anything but to provide you with an assessment that is going to discover one of two things.

1. that what you have in place is adequate for your situation

or

2. that what you have in place is inadequate and I can recommend something more suitable for you.

"how does next Monday work for you"

I am a relatively new health broker and I try to set appointments by calling aged leads. Half of the time they don't pick up or the phone is disconnected (these leads are anywhere from a few months to a few years old). But when I do get somebody to answer the phone, I tell them, "At one time it looks like you requested some information on affordable benefits. I'm simply following up to see what interest or need you may still have in that." Usually they say something along the lines of, "I already have health insurance". After which I am stumped, ask them a few questions, tell them that I could get them something better, and proceed to TRY and set the appointment with no luck (that is If they don't hang up on me). Basically I know that I should convey the message of "what I have to offer is better and more affordable", and then proceed to set the appointment. But being new, I lack the ability to structure a proper response which would get them interested in meeting with me.

So I would like to ask more seasoned agents, how do you go about overcoming that objection and turning it into an appointment. Any input would be greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance!

First of all, don't ask if they are still interested or mention that it has been some time since they sent in the lead.. Treat an aged lead exactly as you would a fresh lead. The majority aren't going to admit remembering requesting information anyway. Plus, many are serial mailers so they will think you have gotten their recent request.

As for the statement "We already have insurance", I reply, "Wonderful. In fact almost everybody we work with already has some insurance. But people's needs change over the years and companies are always coming out with new products. We work with you to make sure you have the most up to date coverage available... (then proceed to ask for the appointment as you normally would)

Last edited:
Here is the script I use:
Hey (name) This is (Agent) with (Company). You requested a life insurance quote on
the internet a while ago, and I am sure you got slamed with
calls. (Pause) I wanted to touch base with you and
see if you got taken care of with life insurance. (Wait For Answer.) The key with this is to get them talking. If you can get them talking you can get them to buy. Usually they tell me that they either gave up or that they already got insurance. My reply to when they gave up is: Well, let me just verify some pieces of info and I can get you some quotes and see what works for you. If they say that they already bought some, I say, "Do you mind if I ask who you bought it with? (after you ask this question, shut up and wait for their answer) Then ask them if you can get them a comparison quote to see if you can save money.
You can use this as a guideline, but don't say any script word for word. Make it yours with the type of language you use and it will work.
Hope that helps.

As for the statement "We already have insurance", I reply, "Wonderful. In fact almost everybody we work with already has some insurance. But people's needs change over the years and companies are always coming out with new products. We work with you to make sure you have the most up to date coverage available... (then proceed to ask for the appointment as you normally would)
wow thats a perfect rebuttal, im going to have to try that one out :)

To the Original Poster:

I am in the Atlanta area (Perimeter Mall area). I'll be happy to sit down with you, face to face, and answer your questions, as well as go through some hypothetical situations.

I will be available tomorrow (July 6th) in the early afternoon, or on Monday (July 9th) mid-afternoon.

Bob Levine
404-551-5339

I read some really good advice on the tpgforum. Ask a follow up question, because chances are they haven't sat down with a PROFESSIONAL life insurance agent (if ever), and their response is a knee jerk response to a qualifying question.

You can either ask one more question (effectively batting twice per touch) or walking out/hanging up/giving up.

Would you rather take an extra swing and double your prospecting efforts are start afresh with a new prospect looking for that low hanging fruit?

I was on an appointment that I knew had insurance and about 15 minutes in the prospect says excuse me for a second and "pretends" to call his daughter and ask her where she is. He goes on to say how he wishes that she could be there and that he will obtain the info from me and let her look it over. He then goes on to tell me that he is bi-polar and suicidal, even homicidal. At this point I am like "I am wasting my time." I guess you can't plan for everything.

Back