SALES DATA PRO - Anyone Use Their Lists for P&C Cold Calling?

SueNami

Expert
I'm looking for a new list provider. The one I have now has WAY too many disconnected or wrong numbers.

Anyone have experience with them? What did you think?

I assume Homeowners...I have a list of 11,000 names in my state for high value property owners with working numbers scrubbed against the DNC, ready for the bad news?

-80-90% or more of the numbers will either ring with no AM, ring to a VM where a robot announces the phone number but you can obviously tell its never checked, disconnected(lot more than you think), you're frustration level is going to rise mightily.

I would ask you a question since you have a few threads but they seem similar in nature..."What do you want to hear?"

-I ask that question because bottom line I can tell you in my neck of the woods...100 calls, maybe talk to 5 homeowners max, maybe a couple of those will actually run an app with you. If the numbers were promising then everyone would do it.

I wish you well, let us know how it works for you. There are some data folks here that can get you lists for as little as $50 a month, I wouldn't overspend on phone numbers unless they have cell numbers plus emails, those leads might be worth a little more.

-White Pages.com, I got a monthly for $10 and I cross check a lot of folks, typically find more than one phone number.

They are all about the same quality IMHO.

There's a guy on here named Rick that claims to have the Glengarry lists.

Goes by GreenSky.

There's a lot of truth to that.

One of the challenges with getting a list is there isn't any standardization or transparency with where the data comes from or how frequently it's updated. If I haven't hit it already, I'm probably getting pretty close to 10,000 customers. When I first launched ListShack.com if we got a customer complaint about data quality we'd replace them with the "glenngary lists" you referenced, and what we found is that usually it was at most, marginally better. One lady in particular was upset when I provided the replacements from the allegedly better source and said all I did was waste her time because it was even worse. Because of that I think a lot of it comes down to just certain areas being more difficult to keep updated. Even between the big compilers a lot of them will collaborate on pieces of the data so ultimately it's not completely independent data sets.

The other side of the coin is there are a lot of inexpensive sites that aren't super committed to data quality. It's not cheap, but setting up a list portal and putting a data set in it can be done with an investment most companies can afford. The challenge becomes can you sell enough data to keep the platform stable, fix the unavoidable bugs, and keep getting updates regularly enough to be able to cover your expenses and still make a buck. I can't speak to the company originally referenced in the post because I don't know what their inner workings are, what I will tell you for sure though is that many companies that get into this and try to crack the market, end up not able to get updates/load them/etc and so sometimes it can go years without updates. So how can you tell the difference between just the fact that data quality can be hit and miss vs companies not updating regularly? Realistically, the best thing you can do is just try a few and see how it goes.

There's a guy on here named Rick that claims to have the Glengarry lists.

Goes by GreenSky.

Thank you! I have never heard of Glengarry lists. lol ... I will check it out...

----------

I assume Homeowners...I have a list of 11,000 names in my state for high value property owners with working numbers scrubbed against the DNC, ready for the bad news?

-80-90% or more of the numbers will either ring with no AM, ring to a VM where a robot announces the phone number but you can obviously tell its never checked, disconnected(lot more than you think), you're frustration level is going to rise mightily.

I would ask you a question since you have a few threads but they seem similar in nature..."What do you want to hear?"

-I ask that question because bottom line I can tell you in my neck of the woods...100 calls, maybe talk to 5 homeowners max, maybe a couple of those will actually run an app with you. If the numbers were promising then everyone would do it.

I wish you well, let us know how it works for you. There are some data folks here that can get you lists for as little as $50 a month, I wouldn't overspend on phone numbers unless they have cell numbers plus emails, those leads might be worth a little more.

-White Pages.com, I got a monthly for $10 and I cross check a lot of folks, typically find more than one phone number.

My different threads were along the same lines, but not because I'm looking for 'what I want to hear'. I'm asking in case there's a better way... and a couple of those threads really didn't get a response (1 maybe?).

I'm ok with it being 'what it is'.. I just don't want to waste time doing it poorly when there are better ways to do it.

If I got a couple quotes out of 100 calls I'd be thrilled! LOL The list place I was with was HORRIBLE. I mean... calling for hours before finding a right number. Just was not acceptable.

And maybe this isn't a good way to do it... OR maybe it IS and it's such a PITA that people don't stick it out long enough to find the way to do it that is profitable??? If it's the second- I'm going to find out! lol. Because I'm stubborn as hell.

Thanks for your insight though... I noticed you said 'high value homeowners'... That's certainly an ideal client- but maybe people with high value homes aren't as likely to answer a phone call when they don't know the number that is calling? Or maybe there's a correlation between likelihood to trust over the phone with people in one income bracket than another?

I'm thinking there HAS to be some type of pattern... I just don't know that the data is out there on it.... See how much time, money and patience I have to figure it out! LOL

There's a lot of truth to that.

One of the challenges with getting a list is there isn't any standardization or transparency with where the data comes from or how frequently it's updated. If I haven't hit it already, I'm probably getting pretty close to 10,000 customers. When I first launched ListShack.com if we got a customer complaint about data quality we'd replace them with the "glenngary lists" you referenced, and what we found is that usually it was at most, marginally better. One lady in particular was upset when I provided the replacements from the allegedly better source and said all I did was waste her time because it was even worse. Because of that I think a lot of it comes down to just certain areas being more difficult to keep updated. Even between the big compilers a lot of them will collaborate on pieces of the data so ultimately it's not completely independent data sets.

The other side of the coin is there are a lot of inexpensive sites that aren't super committed to data quality. It's not cheap, but setting up a list portal and putting a data set in it can be done with an investment most companies can afford. The challenge becomes can you sell enough data to keep the platform stable, fix the unavoidable bugs, and keep getting updates regularly enough to be able to cover your expenses and still make a buck. I can't speak to the company originally referenced in the post because I don't know what their inner workings are, what I will tell you for sure though is that many companies that get into this and try to crack the market, end up not able to get updates/load them/etc and so sometimes it can go years without updates. So how can you tell the difference between just the fact that data quality can be hit and miss vs companies not updating regularly? Realistically, the best thing you can do is just try a few and see how it goes.

THANKS JOSH! This is GREAT insight and it really does make sense. I was just sitting here earlier, how do you even screen a phone number for being disconnected? lol. So I can imagine there's alot on the back end that I don't see or understand.

I don't think I've heard of the List Shack, so let me check that out!

Feel free to PM me if there's anything I need to know!

----------

They're great lists - practically gold - but only for closers!

Soooo... when you say "closers"... Are you saying telemarketers wouldn't benefit from the list? Or are you saying the caller has to be serious and not just a random person making calls and hoping for the best?

Soooo... when you say "closers"... Are you saying telemarketers wouldn't benefit from the list? Or are you saying the caller has to be serious and not just a random person making calls and hoping for the best?

If you have to ask, PUT THAT COFFEE DOWN!

Back