So How Many Calls a Day Should I Make?

benseattle

Expert
I'm fairly new to the life insurance field although I did have success prospecting and selling voluntary benefits. Yes, I'm tapping my small warm market but my main emphasis is on exit strategies, DI and retirement planning for small companies. Therefore, I'm doing plenty of cold calling. But how much is enough?

VERY interesting article about a young Merrill Lynch broker who spends 30 hours a week on the phone, making 250 to 400 cold calls a day. Really? Is that even possible?

Read it here: Cold Calling Is Back

So my question to this forum is: how many do you make a day? What are your ratios to dials/appointments/sales? To be frank, my manager thinks that if I do 50 dials a day, then I'll be very successful.

Input please!

X till you get the result you are looking for. If someone says to make 50 calls do you quit at 50? It is not the number of calls, it is the results. I do not make many calls and my calls are long winded. I would be lucky to make 50 a week.

Use the numbers from this forum as a guide only. There are to many variables to match numbers. That and a lot of these guy and ladies are really good on the phone. Their results may not be your results.

>>how many do you make a day? What are your ratios to dials/appointments/sales?

My numbers are going to do nothing for you. These are my numbers. there are many like them but these are mine.

That's one of the reasons I would never be a stock broker.

50 isn't enough per day when you are just getting started, if that is your primary marketing approach.

That's one of the reasons why it's nice to diversify your approach. Can you really stay sane for long making 100 cold calls per day?

I think 50 is a good number as long as you are staying busy and productive during the remaining hours of the week.

I'm fairly new to the life insurance field although I did have success prospecting and selling voluntary benefits. Yes, I'm tapping my small warm market but my main emphasis is on exit strategies, DI and retirement planning for small companies. Therefore, I'm doing plenty of cold calling. But how much is enough?

VERY interesting article about a young Merrill Lynch broker who spends 30 hours a week on the phone, making 250 to 400 cold calls a day. Really? Is that even possible?

Read it here: Cold Calling Is Back

So my question to this forum is: how many do you make a day? What are your ratios to dials/appointments/sales? To be frank, my manager thinks that if I do 50 dials a day, then I'll be very successful.

Input please!

Your mgr. is way off base. 50 dials a day may yield you 0-3 presentations/conversations. My group easily make 100-250 calls per day per agent. Most people will NOT answer the phone on the 1st dial, and we work primarily the Sr. market.

It depends upon who you are calling. The Krumroy method is to send out 250 newsletters every week to 250 business propsects and to follow up the newsletters with telephone calls. That is 50 calls per day. However, this is a targeted mailer and list not a generic list.

Last edited:
For every 100 calls you will set 8.37 appointments and make 3.29 sales. :goofy:

Read Wino's post again.

Calling/using the phone is a learned, well practiced art. It just doesn't come naturally.

There are way too many variables from one agent to another to give a number. Does the agent know how to maintain control of the call and not let the prospect take control? Does he know the specific words to use to elicit the response he's looking for? Can he smoothly transition the phone call to a relaxed conversation? The weather can play an important part in the degree of success on any given day.

Pick up the phone, put your finger in the hole and turn the wheel. Keep turning the wheel until you get the results you are looking for. Selling insurance is work, it isn't for the person who only wants to work from 9-11 and 2-4.

If an agent can't call for an extended period of time then this may not be the best occupation for him. Eighty percent of this job is prospecting, only 20% is the fun part of writing apps and getting paid. This is a prospecting job not a selling job.

When starting out one should think in terms of ten hour days with 9.75 of those hours doing nothing but insurance related tasks. (Fifteen minutes a day is more than adequate time to go to the bathroom. :D)

Successful agents are those who will do what others won't.

Last edited:
"For every 100 calls you will set 8.37 appointments and make 3.29 sales."

Uh.....yeeeaahh. If that were the case I'd be making $500,000 a year with hardly any effort.

I've made over 750,000 life insurance cold calls in my career. And that's a conservative estimate. It can be an exhausting thing. Make sure you take a break from calling, then get back at it after 10 or 15 mins. I would say making 50 calls a day will NOT make you successful. If you're a new agent.......you don't have a client base that keeps you busy. You're constantly in the hunt for new clients. So what takes up your time during the day and evening? Nothing. Just the oursuit of new clients. Right? So if all you do in a day/evening is make 50 phone calls, which might take 1 hour and 15 mins........you will definitely not be successful.

Crank it up man, get on the phone and start making 200 calls a day. With 200 calls a day....you will likely be drumming up some good numbers.

When I make Calls I load up Callfire at the $2 per hour and I am on for 3 to 4 hours. often 200 to 250 calls per day easy.

As many as you can? When cold calling a lot of new agents think the goal is to get an appointment/sale, which is true, but another benefit is it's a great way to get a ton of experience talking to people and getting experience working the phone. Even if people are saying no, if you're getting comfortable on the phone then you're definitely getting something valuable out of it.

Back