Stop Calling Receptionists "Gatekeepers"!

njinsuranceguy

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Calling a receptionist a gatekeeper had to come from someone who was trying to scare people so they would buy his/her sales course. Thats all I can think of.

A receptionist is a receptionist... thats it. She's not some scary guard holding a black iron key. Do you know what she is?.. she is a very nice person who is answering the phone and doing her job. And she can be your best friend.

At some point, some one made prospecting for business out to be this dark bad place. I have to think that someone selling a sales course needed it to be harder and scarier than it is so they had something to sell.

Look at prospecting for what it is... a way for you to generate business, find great customers and create the life you never thought you could have!

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Having worked as a "receptionist, gatekeeper" for over 9 years before coming to the insurance market as an agent, I confess that if you didn't convince me then you didn't get to the boss. It is a "receptionist's" job to man the gete, so to speak, and put telemarketers at bay before they get to the boss. If my employer were to have taken every telemarketing call we received (3-5 a day) that would have been a waste of his valueable time. And I have no problem with the term gatekeeper. In fact, it commands a level of respect for the multitude of receptionists out there today. By no means should you fear them. But you will not get by a "gatekeeper" without respecting their pivotal role in the company.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Having worked as a "receptionist, gatekeeper" for over 9 years before coming to the insurance market as an agent, I confess that if you didn't convince me then you didn't get to the boss. It is a "receptionist's" job to man the gete, so to speak, and put telemarketers at bay before they get to the boss. If my employer were to have taken every telemarketing call we received (3-5 a day) that would have been a waste of his valueable time. And I have no problem with the term gatekeeper. In fact, it commands a level of respect for the multitude of receptionists out there today. By no means should you fear them. But you will not get by a "gatekeeper" without respecting their pivotal role in the company.

I agree. Telemarketers literally harass businesses to death. On top of that throw in all of the local charities and civic organizations with a hand out. A receptionists/secretary's role us to help the bliss be more productive. gatekeeper is a part of most Receptionist's job description.

I would assume you made no more than $8 hour for that high profile "gatekeeper" job right? Sooooo important, is that why you left and went into insurance?;)

I would assume you made no more than $8 hour for that high profile "gatekeeper" job right? Sooooo important, is that why you left and went into insurance?;)

What is the point of belittling what a gatekeeper might be paid? :swoon:

What is the point of belittling what a gatekeeper might be paid? :swoon:

Whats the point of giving advice on this forum? Ive dealt with gatekeepers for 20 years. The majority of them had hitler fever and no power. The little control they did have they used it in a very unprofessional manner. All I am saying is that being called a "gatekeeper" or an "administrative assistant" (male or female) is the same thing as calling a janitor a "custodial and sanitation engineer" - It is just a title to make them feel better about themselves with no true authority on a final decision whatsoever. I made it a game on how to get around the "gatekeepers" through the back door and always made them look like fools, it was fun and easy.

My employer retired at the age of 76. My job ended. And as my leaving bonus I recieved a years income to help me get on my feet in the insurance business. I make more in insurance. But my position as a receptionist/sales assistant was more than enough to sustain my needs as a single parent of two girls for 9 years. I earned an hourly wage well above minimum wage plus commission on the sales I participated in. But even if I did make minimum wage. The job description would have been the same.

I think my post came out wrong. I definitely agree with everything you said. What I was trying to say is... don't fear them or label them. I think I have a post somewhere on here where I mentioned that I always say exactly the same thing to the receptionist as I do the decision maker and never lie to them etc... I am a strong believer that you need to sell them as much as anyone in the company. In fact, I keep thank you cards and $5 gift cards in my office so I can send them to receptionists where I felt I made a connection and want them to remember me the next time I call. Its worked great actually. Its not uncommon to get a thank you call or email after they receive them.

In any event, I agree 100% with what you said. :)

I made it a game on how to get around the "gatekeepers" through the back door and always made them look like fools, it was fun and easy.

It was fun and easy to make them look like fools? What a shame.

I've always thought it was easier to speak to the owner by getting the receptionist to be on my side as opposed to belittling them.

It was fun and easy to make them look like fools? What a shame.

I've always thought it was easier to speak to the owner by getting the receptionist to be on my side as opposed to belittling them.

I always thought that you work to win the gate keeper over by being friendly, interesting, open and enlisting their help.

Back