Survey For DOOR TO DOOR!

I was very unscientific with selecting neighborhoods. I would just select them by feel and seeing what signs of life there were during the day. I didn't have any info on them and that seemed to work fine.

There is nothing like starting in the trenches to learn the business. My beginning was a little more "scientific". I used a voter registration list to identify people 65 and over when I knocked on their door.

Do you think you would be as successful as you are today if you had started by using a telemarketer and purchased leads?

There is nothing like starting in the trenches to learn the business. My beginning was a little more "scientific". I used a voter registration list to identify people 65 and over when I knocked on their door.

Do you think you would be as successful as you are today if you had started by using a telemarketer and purchased leads?

No way. In fact the company I started with HAD telemarketer leads and they were FREE to us. I refused to work them once I had wasted my time on several of them.

I was always better at doing my own prospecting.

No way. In fact the company I started with HAD telemarketer leads and they were FREE to us. I refused to work them once I had wasted my time on several of them.

I was always better at doing my own prospecting.

I'll bet you could shout it from the house tops and a lot of new agents today wouldn't listen. All one has to do is read the hundreds of posts of those looking for a "good" lead company or a "good" telemarketing company.

I think that is the first step a new agent takes when they start down the path to failure.

"Don't follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail!"

I think there is also more intangible personal satisfaction in doing it without leads.

I'm still working things out in my own business - haven't arrived by any stretch of the imagination. I've come to a few conclusions:
1. If I "bought some leads," I'll make more immediate sales.
2. Making more sales is a good thing - short term.
3. If I "learn how to prospect," I'll make fewer short-term sales.
4. Learning how to prospect will help me towards a better, more satisfying career.

One guy sells 5 Med Supps a week using 40-50 internet leads @ 10%+ closing ratio.
The other guy sells 5 Med Supps a week using 0 "leads." He gets referrals & other marketing means, but he doesn't wake up and wonder what leads will come in.

Who will have a brighter, more fulfilling career?

I think there is also more intangible personal satisfaction in doing it without leads.

I'm still working things out in my own business - haven't arrived by any stretch of the imagination. I've come to a few conclusions:
1. If I "bought some leads," I'll make more immediate sales.
2. Making more sales is a good thing - short term.
3. If I "learn how to prospect," I'll make fewer short-term sales.
4. Learning how to prospect will help me towards a better, more satisfying career.

One guy sells 5 Med Supps a week using 40-50 internet leads @ 10%+ closing ratio.
The other guy sells 5 Med Supps a week using 0 "leads." He gets referrals & other marketing means, but he doesn't wake up and wonder what leads will come in.

Who will have a brighter, more fulfilling career?

I have to agree with you..Learning how to prospect can ensure longevity in this business. I go out in the field and prospect during the warmer months..(B2B D2D) Spent alot of money on leads looking for the quick sales, which were not fast closes. Hell I sold policies faster out in the field! The key is work ethic and balls to go out, and do what others are not doing. :1cool:

What a great thread! When it's not so hot out, I will try this. I can't do it when it's this hot, but it would be great for the rest of the year.

Thank you for sharing this!

:)

What a great thread! When it's not so hot out, I will try this. I can't do it when it's this hot, but it would be great for the rest of the year.

Thank you for sharing this!

:)

Knocking on doors when the weather is "crappy" is the very best time to do it. If it is way "too hot", too cold, raining, snowing or during an approaching hurricane or tornado.

Most people will at least invite you to come in "out of the weather". If it's blistering hot ask for a glass or water or if they have a cold beer. haha

I really did ask for a glass of water once and the guy asked me if I would rather have a cold beer. He and I sat down and had a couple. Ultimately did sell him a Med Supp on the second time I saw him. I came with beer the next time.

Many times doing what others won't can contribute to having a successful day.

I was always a fair weather knocker. It's not like other agents are out there knocking even on nice weather.

The worst time is when the kids are out of school. GRANDMA! Some guy wants to see you! Pause. She wants to know what you want.

Knocking on doors when the weather is "crappy" is the very best time to do it. If it is way "too hot", too cold, raining, snowing or during an approaching hurricane or tornado.

Most people will at least invite you to come in "out of the weather". If it's blistering hot ask for a glass or water or if they have a cold beer. haha

I really did ask for a glass of water once and the guy asked me if I would rather have a cold beer. He and I sat down and had a couple. Ultimately did sell him a Med Supp on the second time I saw him. I came with beer the next time.

Many times doing what others won't can contribute to having a successful day.

I think people are nicer where you live. I only had them do that maybe 2 times here if they were not interested in talking to me. Even when it is 115 out. And this was not door to door. This was with mailer cards. 30 minutes in 115 degrees and I would look like someone just dumped water on my head. Like I said somewhere else, maybe I could wear a sombrero! :twitchy:

I think people are nicer where you live. I only had them do that maybe 2 times here if they were not interested in talking to me. Even when it is 115 out. And this was not door to door. This was with mailer cards. 30 minutes in 115 degrees and I would look like someone just dumped water on my head. Like I said somewhere else, maybe I could wear a sombrero! :twitchy:

The people here are somewhat nice depends on what area you work..I go out and cold door knock and walk in businesses. I go out at 9:30am-2pm because 3pm is the hottest time of the day. Then I might go out from 5-7:30pm. The weather here reaches 90 plus, but were you are 115 goooood lawd! :goofy: I would say go out 9am-1pm, then call it a day. Work the phone the rest of the day.

Back