Telemarketing for Appointments - Legal in Florida?

Woods Rider

Expert
Hi all,

I'm a licensed Florida 2-20 agent and want to hire a telemarketer to set appointments for me selling GL and other business coverages.

I know the FL insurance statutes are pretty hardcore about anyone other than a licensed agent discussing insurance in this state.

Can anyone share with me their approach or pitch that they use to get appointments that will not be in violation of the statutes?

I was thinking along the lines of "Hi Mr Business owner. We've been talking to other businesses in your area and we are finding........... I would like to set an appointment with our agent....etc.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I would make sure those business phone numbers are vetted and keep a record of where you sourced them. I'm in FL too, and a lot of small business operators down here list their cell phone as the business number. If you call that, you can run afoul of the TCPA rules - that'll set you back $1500 per call.

That being said, GL would be a tough pitch over the phone. Are you going after any type of businesses in particular? Are you trying to write this monoline? I don't know how well that would fly.

If I were you, I'd save the labor cost and buy leads. Call them yourself. As a consumer, I know I don't appreciate someone calling me to set an appointment for something I didn't request.

i would make sure those business phone numbers are vetted and keep a record of where you sourced them. I'm in fl too, and a lot of small business operators down here list their cell phone as the business number. If you call that, you can run afoul of the tcpa rules - that'll set you back $1500 per call.

That being said, gl would be a tough pitch over the phone. Are you going after any type of businesses in particular? Are you trying to write this monoline? I don't know how well that would fly.

If i were you, i'd save the labor cost and buy leads. Call them yourself. As a consumer, i know i don't appreciate someone calling me to set an appointment for something i didn't request.

how many businesses have you ever set an appointment for, let alone sold over the phone? You have 1 chance to make a first impression....do it face to face.

how many businesses have you ever set an appointment for, let alone sold over the phone? You have 1 chance to make a first impression....do it face to face.

None. I don't sell commercial. But I do buy it for my business. Face to face would be a great option, of course. Personally, my employees know better than to bring a sales guy back to my office. An appointment setter on the phone? Nope. I just think the leads route puts you in front of the buyer when they're researching or thinking about buying.

None. I don't sell commercial. But I do buy it for my business. Face to face would be a great option, of course. Personally, my employees know better than to bring a sales guy back to my office. An appointment setter on the phone? Nope. I just think the leads route puts you in front of the buyer when they're researching or thinking about buying.

If I believe it's worth the effort.....I "will" get a face to face....just sayin' ;)

I would make sure those business phone numbers are vetted and keep a record of where you sourced them. I'm in FL too, and a lot of small business operators down here list their cell phone as the business number. If you call that, you can run afoul of the TCPA rules - that'll set you back $1500 per call.

That being said, GL would be a tough pitch over the phone. Are you going after any type of businesses in particular? Are you trying to write this monoline? I don't know how well that would fly.

If I were you, I'd save the labor cost and buy leads. Call them yourself. As a consumer, I know I don't appreciate someone calling me to set an appointment for something I didn't request.

Complete horse hockey. If someone lists there business phone on a website, literature, registration with local authorities and it happens to be a cell phone you wont be violating the TCPA. Its totally legal to call any business pretty much any way you want to. If you can cite in the TCPA docs where you would find this I would be interested to read it.

Complete horse hockey. If someone lists there business phone on a website, literature, registration with local authorities and it happens to be a cell phone you wont be violating the TCPA. Its totally legal to call any business pretty much any way you want to. If you can cite in the TCPA docs where you would find this I would be interested to read it.

What's really funny is most telemarketers now disguise or hide their ID. Now, if you're ashamed of your company and/or reason for calling..... you've already LOST ALL CREDIBILITY! The first thing that comes to mind is ....SCAM!

What's really funny is most telemarketers now disguise or hide their ID. Now, if you're ashamed of your company and/or reason for calling..... you've already LOST ALL CREDIBILITY! The first thing that comes to mind is ....SCAM!

Wow, who are you and what did you do with K2S? That was actually intelligent and something I agree with.

I don't block my number and I don't take calls from blocked numbers.

Wow, who are you and what did you do with K2S? That was actually intelligent and something I agree with.

Wow, who are you and what did you do with the troll VolAgent???? Oops! Never mind.....you're still here! :twitchy:

Yep. Although I am in sales, I am still a consumer. At no time has a blocked number made me go "Gee...golly... this must be an important call.. let me answer it..."

I don't answer 99% of the calls that hit my cell that aren't from contacts anyways. Makes me seem busier than what I am at the moment.

Latest posts

Back