Text Messaging Leads

ZboyleHST

Hey guys, just had a quick question for your thoughts.. Recently I have been trying a new calling system to reach out to leads from our database. It usually consists of calling the lead and then disposition it with a text/email. As I haven't had much luck (Many leads were unprepared to talk), I wanted to try something new.

It isn't much, but I decided to disposition with a text first that states.. "Hi this is Zach with XYZ. I'll be reaching out to you today/tomorrow (Depending on when I get the lead) from xxx-xxx-xxxx about your health insurance needs."

Has anyone tried something like this? So far I've had better luck with getting responses.. however most are saying that they've already been helped or are no longer interested. I do worry about laws about this, but I'm assuming my company wouldn't give the option in our system unless the lead has opted in to be contacted in such ways.

My thoughts are that if I was one of the leads, I would prefer to receive a text before a call to know what number to look for, and have a chance to prepare or decline without an intrusive phone call.

I appreciate any advice!

If you're going to text these people you better be DAMN sure you have the opt-in information where they explicitly state you can reach them by text or you'll be spending some time in court.

Yes, your system will give you the option to break the law. My car gives me the option to do 110 mph in a school zone, but that doesn't make it legal.

Damn, yeah I'm really new to all of this so still learning what restrictions there are. Didn't exactly get the best training when I started, simply "Here's our lead database and these are the ways available to contact them, go crazy." lol I'm sort of confused though, is there a difference between automated text blast marketing and me sending one text as a heads up that I will be calling in the same day? I just feel like that is more respectful to ones time where they can decline versus a random call out of nowhere. Thanks for responding by the way!

is there a difference between automated text blast marketing and me sending one text

Without express permission clearly documented, legally it's no different than going 30 over the speed limit instead of 95 over the speed limit.

I just feel like that is more respectful to ones time where they can decline versus a random call out of nowhere. Thanks for responding by the way!

That is a good point. Obviously you need to worry about legalities of it first and foremost. But after that, what about the success rate you have with it? It would be interesting to do a test on it.... but it is a lot easier for someone to say no on the phone than it is in person face to face.... it is also a lot easier to say no through a text vs. over the phone or in person (think about the dreaded break up text from a significant other).

So yeah, texting first would probably be more respectful. But it would also give people the chance to say "no thanks" before you ever get the chance to tell them how you can help them.

FCC rules ban text messages sent to a mobile phone using an autodialer unless you previously gave consent to receive the message or the message is sent for emergency purposes. The ban applies even if you have not placed your mobile phone number on the national Do-Not-Call list.

Unwanted texts, email and the CAN-SPAM Act

Federal rules require the following for commercial email sent to your mobile phone:

Identification – The email must be clearly identified as a solicitation or advertisement for products or services.
Opt-Out – The email must provide easily-accessible, legitimate and free ways for you to reject future messages from that sender.
Return Address – The email must contain legitimate return email addresses, as well as the sender's postal address.

I hope this helps. Typically, if a suspect has given you their email address, they are giving you permission to contact them by this method, as long as you give the ability to opt out. Texting, as the above posters have indicated, is forbidden (carries a monetary penalty) unless they have specifically opted in.

There is a dialer that can make the emails for you so that you can follow up with a phone call, if you have a large number of calls to make.

Randy

This does bring up a really good question regarding legalities. The double opt in process is always the same.. you send an email that simply states, you have opted into xyz list. Please respond by clicking the link below to continue getting information from XYZ. Now, can't you do the same thing with txt messages. Send a great offer to say 1,000 people stating if you would like your free,bla bla, or would like to go over options for, bla bla please respond with the word, XYZ.

This would allow you to at least open the door. Who is to say how you opted in originally. The double opt in process should exempt from further liability, correct?

Yeah, that may be the way I go about it then. Obviously I want to go the legal route. The reason I started looking into this is because I have a few clients who have actually told me that part of the reason they work with me is because I am available through text. It seems in this day and age most people don't have time to speak over the phone unless they have time set aside for an appointment, so being available through text has been a plus so far. Also, as it does give the prospect an easy out to simply text back no, I have also gotten positive responses of people either immediately calling or scheduling a better time to talk on the phone. It just seems to me that text has moved from its strictly personal use towards a personal/business medium.

For clarity, the double opt-in is NOT exempt from liability. It does keep your email list MUCH cleaner though. It also allows your email server to keep functioning.

The CAN-SPAM rules have no double opt-in requirement. In fact, like postal mail, it has NO opt-in requirement, but does have the rules that wrb stated above.

The problem is, especially on non-double opt-in lists, is the button that says report spam. Your service provider will shut your account down if to many people press this button. After a few people press this button, your email (and future emails) will go to the spam folder or worse, be blocked entirely, across all major email systems.

The double opt-in helps a lot if they opted in to you and then press the report spam button. Your service provider will ask for this info and will use it to keep from shutting your account down.

Dan

Because of the massive automated system we have here we are constantly checking our url's and ip address for black lists. We have someone here in the office that checks at least 2 times a week to make sure we don't fall into some type of spam filter. It stinks, but even if we were spamming, we could get around it with good proactive monitoring. I am not saying too spam, but even people who aren't can fall victim to spam blocking programs.

Last edited:
Back