There Has to Be a Better Way!!!

I'm surprised to read some of these ideas about cold calling. Don't use peoples names and don't introduce yourself? Say good morning...no don't say good morning? Thinking you need to say something unique like "If I could show you how to grow your... or would you like to know how I can help you....are you interested in learning..?" Don't use this stuff, it doesn't work, creates distrust and anybody doing it can do soooo much better. I know you can. Plus, if you ask yes and no's, you will get folks who respond in kind with one word answers. More often that answer is "no" and then what? No matter what you say you will get a response and how well you are prepared for IT is what to analyze and get good at. How well can you handle that response and how well can you produce an appropriate turnaround?
If you are meeting w/ people at their home or office the purpose of your call is to set the appointment....Nothing else.
You need to anticipate these responses. "Not enough money, not interested, send me something in the mail, I'm too busy, already got it - or happy with what I got." Turn these responses into appointment and we are all doing something right.
I would love to hear responses, ideas, feedback. Learning is the greatest thing out there.

I'm surprised to read some of these ideas about cold calling. Don't use peoples names and don't introduce yourself? Say good morning...no don't say good morning? Thinking you need to say something unique like "If I could show you how to grow your... or would you like to know how I can help you....are you interested in learning..?" Don't use this stuff, it doesn't work, creates distrust and anybody doing it can do soooo much better. I know you can. Plus, if you ask yes and no's, you will get folks who respond in kind with one word answers. More often that answer is "no" and then what? No matter what you say you will get a response and how well you are prepared for IT is what to analyze and get good at. How well can you handle that response and how well can you produce an appropriate turnaround?
If you are meeting w/ people at their home or office the purpose of your call is to set the appointment....Nothing else.
You need to anticipate these responses. "Not enough money, not interested, send me something in the mail, I'm too busy, already got it - or happy with what I got." Turn these responses into appointment and we are all doing something right.
I would love to hear responses, ideas, feedback. Learning is the greatest thing out there.

I think it's especially helpful to have discussions about things like this because it can be so subjective. That said, I can't disagree with you more about most of your comments. This is based on years of direct marketing experience including having myself and dozens of agents run thousands of appointments set by hundreds of thousands of calls. This is across multiple states and multiple product lines. There are areas that things are different, for example, in the south, you really can get away with "Hi, my name is Josh, how are you doing today?" and have a discussion about it. In NY it will get you shut down hard. What I've seen work the most consistently across state borders and different product lines is what I suggested.

To put more fine of a point on it, the purpose of a cold call is to find interest and grow it, not to set an appointment. If you cold called for Medicare saying "I'm calling to talk to you about the recent changes to Medicare, would you like me to stop by" and you had 10 people say yes, at least half of them would probably have retiree benefits or tricare. If your goal is to just get your foot in the door and have people open the door when you show up you could probably be "successful", if your goal was to sell insurance and earn a commission by finding people you could help save money on their Medicare plans, you probably would be less successful. That is entirely different than when you have a lead card, but straight cold calling is easier and more productive when you're being direct with people vs trying to get an appointment just for the sake of getting in the door.

To talk specifically about Medicare cold calling, if you call someone say "I've been helping people save hundreds of dollars on their Medicare insurance and get better coverage, would you like to find out how much I can help you?" and they say no, on to the next. That's not a good prospect. If they say yes, you have very clearly established what you want and what they want so you can move along smoothly. It is a yes/no question, but there is a reason for that.

The other responses, not enough money, not interested, send something in the mail, etc, those are all rebuttals worth fighting with off a lead card/internet lead, etc, but if you dig in every time you hear that on a cold call it's going to be an emotional grind, unpleasant, and you'll get burnt out much more quickly than by simply trying to find folks that have an interest in your product because you've presented them with a hook or two they want to know more about.

Because of this thread I've decided to answer the telemarketer that asks me "ho are you today? to start the call. Had one call Sat. and I told him I was having a good day, we had just taken the in laws to breakfast and I was getting ready to do some yard work. He kept stopping me while I was trying to tell him how I was. I told him, "wait a minute, I thought we were friends, you called me by my first name, you wanted to know how I'm doing and now you don't want to know?"

He finally hung up on me. Then again this morning I had another one. I went through the same thing and he also hung up on me.

Seems they don't really care how I am today?:goofy::D:D

Those heartless jerks. :-)

Royal Neighbors of America.

----------

Looks like I was a few hours late on that answer. I didn't read page three on the thread.

Looks like I was too....I missed it all!

Not sure if I should laugh at that response or be offended?!?! Don't know y'all well enough yet to figure it out!:1confused:

Back