What Amway Taught Me!

What Amway taught me was to avoid MLM companies like the plague!
Agreed 1000%.

I sold Amway in my younger years for about a year. Loved some of the products and it was not hard to sell them to people. I had a regular and growing customer base.

The flaw, for me, is the MLM and the business building design of the business. 6 and 6 and 6 and so on....blah. I just wanted to sell soap and a few other good products but you could not make much commission because you had a limited markup ability with these rather expensive products.

I could sell SA-8, LOC and the air fresheners no problem. But they don't want that, they want you to recruit. Hated the idea of recruiting, loved the idea of selling--bad match with Amway.

Today they hardly even sell to the public. They buy internally for PV and recruit. I have yet to be able to find anyone in the last 2 decades willing to sell me a box of SA-8. Very sad commentary. And if I could find someone to sell me a box, they'd likely want to recruit me to "join their team of successful dream-building entrepreneurs" (most of whom aren't selling anything outside of their pyramid and making less than minimum wage anyway).

I wanted to be Bill Porter, but they wanted a recruiter.

Agreed 1000%.

I sold Amway in my younger years for about a year. Loved some of the products and it was not hard to sell them to people. I had a regular and growing customer base.

The flaw, for me, is the MLM and the business building design of the business. 6 and 6 and 6 and so on....blah. I just wanted to sell soap and a few other good products but you could not make much commission because you had a limited markup ability with these rather expensive products.

I could sell SA-8, LOC and the air fresheners no problem. But they don't want that, they want you to recruit. Hated the idea of recruiting, loved the idea of selling--bad match with Amway.

Today they hardly even sell to the public. They buy internally for PV and recruit. I have yet to be able to find anyone in the last 2 decades willing to sell me a box of SA-8. Very sad commentary. And if I could find someone to sell me a box, they'd likely want to recruit me to "join their team of successful dream-building entrepreneurs" (most of whom aren't selling anything outside of their pyramid and making less than minimum wage anyway).

The top dogs of NAA were top dogs with Amway. Pretty easy to see the similarities.

People who are in MLM also need financial products. There are a few who do make a sizable income....

http://www.whyjoinus.com/top_400_earners.pdf
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Agreed 1000%.

Can't you just go to the corp. or any associate's site and order what you want?

Last edited:
Last time I tried that it took over six months to get the people to stop calling me about trying to "sign me up for a great business opportunity".

I just wanted to buy some damned soap. Not worth the effort nor hassle.

Last time I tried that it took over six months to get the people to stop calling me about trying to "sign me up for a great business opportunity".

That just stinks (no pun intended). :skeptical:

Have you tired the dish soap? I can get you some of that if you agree to join my team...

Nevermind.

My high school basketball coach retired in his 40's after a hugely successful amway career....that was back in the 70's

My high school basketball coach retired in his 40's after a hugely successful amway career....that was back in the 70's

Now I see Amway owns the naming rights to a stadium in the midwest. Plus I see lots of adertisements for them now. They must be growing again.

It's not that the concept is bad. People can and do have success in MLM businesses.

For me it's simply a matter of mis-match in terms of the way the business works. I want to sell a product or products to customers be it soap or insurance. I don't want to have people working under me or over me. I don't want to have to recruit someone else to try and do what I do in order for the model to produce results.

Back