CPCU CIC Benefits for Agency Owner

iiinycboi

Guru
100+ Post Club
Do you guys see any benefits for an agency owner to get this kind of education and designation? Being an agency owner that just targets the local community mom and pop shops and ho policies.

How can this advance your career? I see the purpose of getting it if you want those big corporate accounts but do you think you can transition over from mom and pop policies?

What are your opinions?

There is always a benefit for education.

Promoting yourself with designations, not so much.

Richard S. Bronstein, CIC, MSAA, CBC, ACBC, CLTC, CSA

i agree, that getting the education that these designations provide is valuable and beneficial, but for an agency owner who will be doing mom and pop shops, can this more beneficial than years of experience of certain policies?

To the right crowd, designations add credibility as a door opener. Basically, its the same thing as a degree on your resume. Once you have the job, the degree is pretty useless, but it can definitely open some doors to getting the job.

These designations are supposed to work the same way. Unfortunately, there were so many of them that they have become totally watered down and nobody knows what most of them mean. Take Rick's for example, I have no idea what ACBC does for me.

Things like CFP which people may recognize are of high value, if you can use it. I think things like CPCU and CIC might mean something to other insurance professionals, but not much to the general public, though if you do an intro slide on yourself you can definitely mention what it means to the client, keeping it to under 10 seconds though.

Dan

CPCU isn't going to mean much to an agency, unless of course you are brokering big commercial accounts. CPCU is more important for those in Senior Underwriting Mgmt, and same with CIC in regards to Claims Mgmt. Most of the Executives (VP's etc) at these big insurers have them, but as far as an agent I don't see much of a need.

That's what I thought. It doesn't mean much to the average accounts. I need to do some ce credits and looking into cpcu and cic for credit. It wouldn't do much for me unless I either go work for a big corporate company or transition my agency into doing medium to big corporate accounts.

I asked a bunch of people and they don't even know what they mean.

Do you think a cpcu working for a big name agency writing big accounts make more money than a small agency writing average sized accounts?

I am a CIC and I feel like the program has value. You won't sell more accounts because of it but it can give you tools that allows you to close more accounts and do a better job of running your agency. The rubles seminars are excellent and I always feel like they are worth the time and money. Experience is good but I have run into a lot of people that have 2 years of experience 10 times instead of 20 years of experience. These programs are important if you want to evolve from a salesperson to a insurance professional IMO. I get a lot more out of them than I would sitting down and cranking out 30 hours worth of low level online CE just for the sake of dealing with my CE requirements. I look forward to my updates. I am in Northern CA so I will either take one of my agents to Reno or Las Vegas and have fun or I will bring my wife to Napa or San Diego.

Yes, i agree with you. I have decided to go for the CIC and CPCU even if it doesn't help me sell more accounts. I want to educate myself more and learn enough of the industry to be called an insurance professional/consultant.

Back