Is a CPCU Good for Practical Knowledge in Commercial Ins?

well hell, you are ready to rock it then, GET TO WORK MAN!

GIT ER DONE!!!!!

I will say/add this.......pick 2 or 3 or 4 at the most, SIC codes and learn them up and down and target those, when you get comfy with everything, expand one or 2 more at a time, as you know commerical is difficult and complicated with so many different coverages, etc....just dont overwhelm yourself and then miss something,

GOOD LUCK MAN!

well hell, you are ready to rock it then, GET TO WORK MAN!

GIT ER DONE!!!!!

I will say/add this.......pick 2 or 3 or 4 at the most, SIC codes and learn them up and down and target those, when you get comfy with everything, expand one or 2 more at a time, as you know commerical is difficult and complicated with so many different coverages, etc....just dont overwhelm yourself and then miss something,

GOOD LUCK MAN!

So, what is your consensus on the designations? Do you feel that the CIC offers about as much street knowledge as the CPCU? Do you feel that the CPCU is leaps and bounds better than the CIC, assuming I do NOT advertise either one? How do you feel about the CLCS?

This is all for me, not anyone else, to get the ball rolling on a new field of insurance.

Hoob,

I will be 100% honest, I dont know the difference between the letters are, I have never researched it before.

But like I said previously, it can help you differeniate yourself from someone else and if you start getting into LARGE commercial policies, They may know what these letters mean.....

If your in a position to dedicate the time and money for it, then go for it! Go get them BIG ass commissions!

Great thread and great question...i'm up and running and greener in commercial than I'd like to be...dont know if doing clcs or cic class in commercial will actually help or just bang my way until i get really good at it.

will look into ordering clcs curriculum

Last edited:
Thank you sir!

Do you feel that starting in commercial, it would benefit me to get the CIC NOW or to wait until I learn a few more things?

I like formal training on things like coverages, exclusions, and things like that. I like being able to look things up as necessary until they become more intuitive. Do you feel that the CIC will prepare me as much as the CPCU for the *normal* things that we see?

What exactly is the difference in things learned in the CPCU vs the CIC? I see some things like accounting and agency management, some things on insurance business law, and then coverages for commercial and personal P&C. Shouldn't we know most of those things for the agency owner, or do these things go WAY more in depth than what it sounds like up front?

I don't want it to sound like my mind is made up on the CPCU, I'll do the CIC if that is better. I'm just curious as to what you mean about how there are things on there we don't need as agency owners. When you say insurance accounting, do you mean like large scale accounting for the insurance company itself?

I come from a biology and chemistry background. Would the CPCU be something I can self-study, or do I *need* a class room? That will make a large difference to me, too. I know the CIC is something you go to for a day or two to complete in a classroom.

I care more for relevancy than difficulty, but I like learning. I'd be just as fine as doing a CIC and CLU than a CPCU and CLU, for example. I'm still going to be learning things because I like to learn. The alphabet soup is for me and most people won't see it unless they ask for my credentials.

CIC is difficult for a new person because it is a lot of information in very little time. Then after your 2 day class you take a test that is ALL essay and written by your instructor just before you take it. It is also very subjective. You will also be in a room with mostly experinced agent and I felt like the instructor didn't want to take time with a newbie and his dumb questions, like me.

Give the CLCS a look before making a decision. CPCU takes some time to do. CIC imparts street level knowledge but it is done over a few days as you mention then you have the added pressure of having to pass a test on a lot of material covered in a short period of time. Also, CIC covers some areas that may or may not be beneficial to your situation such as life insurance or personal lines.

The CLCS focuses exclusively on commercial lines coverage and you take it at your leisure. The knowledge requirements to pass the test are stiff but you don't have to do it at the end of 2.5 days of cramming. A little less pressure. The CLCS costs about $510 as I recall and CIC sessions are $400 a piece not counting travel expense, lodging and meals.

By stating the above paragraph, I am not saying CIC isn't worth it as it is. The real decision on your part, at least in my mind, is do you want a broad general knowledge then CIC is the deal. Do you want knowledge extremely focused on commercial lines that gets you up and running quicker then CLCS might just be the answer. Who knows, maybe you will want to do both.

As for the CPCU, with your academic background, you can self study and do well. I self studied all of the parts myself and passed the exams and I'm not that smart.

Again, good luck with whatever you decide to do!

I recommend the CPCU - it will teach you quite a bit about the commercial side of things. I really enjoyed the CPCU program. It did not take that long to finish either. It's all up to you - I was really into the learning so I started and finished the entire program within one year. It was difficult but not to the point where it was impossible. Personally, I found the CLU to be the hardest out of all the programs I have taken.

If you have any questions regarding the program or if there is any way I may be of help, please let me know. Good luck in what ever you decide to do!

Latest posts

Back