Do You Recommend or is It Worth the Designations? CIC? CPCU?

infoe

Guru
100+ Post Club
I would assume that most people would answer, that It won't make much of a difference in terms of getting more business, and that It can't hurt...just help our own personal knowledge...It's one of those questions where I can assume the answer...my question is more so geared this way:

Should I go for one of the designations now, while It's slow in my captive agency, and in the process of starting my indy agency?

Should I go for the CIC or CPCU? and why?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I see based on research and what I'm trying to achieve on my timeline...CIC would be the only way to go...and I'd have to gameplan to see if I would have enough time to complete it all without sacrificing prospecting time.

Last edited:
A survey conducted by The Institutes found the following reasons for earning the CPCU designation:

• CPCUs earn 29 percent more than their peer group (same functional area and time in the industry).
  • 91 percent of CPCU designees saw an increase in job opportunities.
  • 85 percent of program completers said earning the designation fast-tracked their career progression.
  • 74 percent believed earning the designation helped them gain a promotion.
  • 75 percent felt it helped them gain a salary increase.

Anything that makes the agent feel warm and fuzzy and increases their confidence level is worth considering. Does it really make a difference to the prospect? I would have to say that the vast majority of them neither know what it means nor do they really care.

I don't know what it is, don't care and it wouldn't make a bit of difference if my P&C agent had it. I want someone that is easy to talk to, calls me back and is knowledgable.

I have to say, I honestly dont know what most of the desinations mean, I have never had a client ask me about them.

I think on the commercial side, especially with large accounts, it might make a difference, or posibly large life accounts, but I honestly havent ever seen the need for them as an agent,

Now saying that, good for you for wanting to advance yourself and learn something extra, If I recall, you are considerng going IA, I would say, going IA and taking those classes would be too much. As an IA, you HAVE to learn all of the policies, some carriers have 5 sperate HO policies, and this is what you need to know,

JMHO

I will add, if you want to really advance your career, and become an insurance expert and get called into court cases, and become a consultant then I would think you HAVE to have these.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know none of these things really matter...we don't check up on our dentist to see what they do for voluntary education in their field. I guess as stated before this is just for personal betterment in the field, I'm curious to see if it's well regarded as being worth the time to do it.

Theres a post in the insurance journal forum, where most people seemed to really think they got something back from the CIC courses they took.

RBA yessir, going IA...was thinking of doing these courses during the transition period (resignation of captive agency...so I just dont sit around for the few months while I close up shop) I'd be moving states, and would still need to man the office until the end of my resignation term.

Brainstorm your weaknesses and make a list. THEN look at the course descriptions and see what you need the most. Most of these programs let you cherry pick the courses you take which saves money if you're only doing it for the education.

Infoe, WHy would you be sitting around? Most of your carriers should also issue you codes in the new state, also, I would call a couple of IA's in your area, and get some quotes to see who has the better rates, remember it can take months to get your codes with some carriers, Everything is online, so you wouldnt have to be there to work the business.

Latest posts

Back