LUCTF, FSS, CLU, Etc...

agentjhc

Guru
1000 Post Club
Seems like the courses for designations are very expensive. Is the price worth the difference over other online training?

Already have a corner office in my house!!! Really though...newby...independent...looking for training opportunities..wondered if the clases were high quality or should stick with regular online, iliaa, etc

Good question; now let's see if you get some serious answers?

I think it depends on your career destination. I don't think they are worth the money and the big time commitment for the average independent agent. Now a guy wanting to move up in the Corporate Life structure? Then they are very valuable.

JHMO

I think they're only worth it if you have a company that will reimbursed 100% of your cost... and you can continue to produce at a good rate while you're studying.

They are academic courses... and even the LUTCF (a sales-based course) left me wanting more.

look ... if you are new spend the money on marketing... study at night... dont waste money on things that dont make sales... clients could care less if you have letters bhind your name..... i guess i could put Hon. in front of my name but who cares?

look ... if you are new spend the money on marketing... study at night... dont waste money on things that dont make sales... clients could care less if you have letters bhind your name..... i guess i could put Hon. in front of my name but who cares?

This is the direction I was leaning. No desire to work corporate...will be transitioning to ins as 2nd career over 24-48 months.

I earned my CLU years ago when I was an employee agent with Allstate. At that time, they paid for everything from the American College books, exams and also books from a company called "Insurance Achievement", which was like Cliff notes for the CLU exam.

Years ago I believed it would further my career and I would be able to use what I've learned in my practice.

Well, needless to say, I'm very glad I finished and that I didn't pay a nickel but it doesn't really do much for your customers, whether you are P&C are L&H.

They never will ask...what are those three letters after your name. In 17 years that I have my designation, I really don't remember customers being too interested in that.

It may carry some prestige with your peers, especially if captive or you work in a large office.....some seem to think you may know more than they do about the life business, which isn't necessarily true.

Bottom line.......independent sales people should not start that journey. If you are going to start in the financial planning field or with more learned clients, if anything....get your securities license and a CFP.

Otherwise, forget it and put that money (and that's a bundle today) into growing your business now! This is my opinion but necessarily the opinion of others.

Last edited:
As others mentioned, they're needed if you work in the Home Office and want promotions. You will be more knowledgeable with designations, but they won't do a thing to improve your production. I've met more than a few agents with half a dozen designations but many of them they were only mediocre producers.

Master the art of prospecting and just about every problem is solved.

Back