Should Life Insurance Agents Become Financial Planners?

emptyeternity said:
What were the differences? I agreed with him on the biggest issue, prospecting via facetime. I would wager xrac got the ax lol.
I am in the middle of putting the best and brightest posts into a book format, more organized than my last gold mine threads. It will be quite the doozy....
Vol, it was funny seeing you guys grow up there, from your earliest posts in 2006 to the more recent ones.
Going there, and I spend A TON OF TIME THERE, I can't help to look at a many people on here and use the dread term (piker). That word rubbed me raw when I started reading that forum, now, I can understand the harshness of his tone and voice.
Anyone know if Rick comes over here to "piker central"?

Ah maybe you are the reason you can no longer right clink to highlight and print and save things over on TGPs. Rick has things setup over there as he likes them and its his right to run it any way he wants. I think he might have made a mistake running some people off as there are people that do things differently and its always good to learn from more than 1 mentor.

Designations are still designations and certain fields we require basic competency, IE Doctors, Engineers, Architects Lawyers, Accountants, so in the end it is better to stay away from promoting designation as a form of creditability. When I use to work in real estate people would say, the home has a new roof and windows, and I would kindly reply, well homes kind of need windows and a roof, sure new ones are nice but my client requires these items to consider an offer on your home.

Last edited:

Rick will come here if he is directed here. I had a post that he assumes I copied/pasted over here. Actually it as a summary of all the "life lessons" I had learned. Then he updated his rules to include the posting of anything you learn from him cannot be posted anywhere else.

When I was banished, I had over 2,000 posts on TGP. Part of me really wants to get back just to read the forum again, but I don't think I could put up with "Rick Blaine".

BTW, if you ever talk to him over the phone, he's really nice. Not at all what you would expect from his online personality.

Now, here's a bonus question:
- I am life licensed.
- I also hold an active ChFC designation.
- My securities licenses are lapsed.

Am I a financial planner? (Taking out the "Rick Blaine" definition of "failed planner")

If so, why?

If not, why not?

Rick will come here if he is directed here. I had a post that he assumes I copied/pasted over here. Actually it as a summary of all the "life lessons" I had learned. Then he updated his rules to include the posting of anything you learn from him cannot be posted anywhere else.

When I was banished, I had over 2,000 posts on TGP. Part of me really wants to get back just to read the forum again, but I don't think I could put up with "Rick Blaine".

BTW, if you ever talk to him over the phone, he's really nice. Not at all what you would expect from his online personality.

Now, here's a bonus question:
- I am life licensed.
- I also hold an active ChFC designation.
- My securities licenses are lapsed.

Am I a financial planner? (Taking out the "Rick Blaine" definition of "failed planner")

If so, why?

If not, why not?

I appreciate the story, I always wondered if he was a hardass in real life. What'S his handle on here?

So you got banished for that? Seems pretty efed up. I enjoyed reading all of the fours posting on it. Funny you would think that forum would be packed, but its so stale theres usually only 4 people on that forum at any given time, WHAT GIVES?

Did you learn alot there? Still working at a bank?

I think Xrac, DHK, Full Throttle, and Vol are the 4 evangelists of the topgunproducer forum, where over there, the saying, "failed planner", "this is what a failed planner does" etc. are repeated ad exhaustum, for good reason too.

Anyone know if Mr. Blaine visits this forum?

CFP = Can't Fxx?ix? Produce is the term and I think for the large part it is true.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What were the differences? I agreed with him on the biggest issue, prospecting via facetime. I would wager xrac got the ax lol.
I am in the middle of putting the best and brightest posts into a book format, more organized than my last gold mine threads. It will be quite the doozy....
Vol, it was funny seeing you guys grow up there, from your earliest posts in 2006 to the more recent ones.
Going there, and I spend A TON OF TIME THERE, I can't help to look at a many people on here and use the dread term (piker). That word rubbed me raw when I started reading that forum, now, I can understand the harshness of his tone and voice.

We did watch Full Throttle became a success.
I have learned so much at TGP and I think that is true of DHK. Rick is like a bottomless fountain of information, insight, and knowledge about insurance and selling insurance. Sometimes on the forum he can be real hard nosed but on the other hand you do not have to pick through all the garbage. TGP is not as entertaining but it has a lot more meat. I think this forum is the place to learn about Health, FE, and Medicare but I think TGP is the place to learn about Life and about selling in general.

Last edited:
CFP = Can't Fxx?ix? Produce is the term and I think for the large part it is true.

We did watch Full Throttle became a success.
I have learned so much at TGP and I think that is true of DHK. Rick is like a bottomless fountain of information, insight, and knowledge about insurance and selling insurance. Sometimes on the forum he can be real hard nosed but on the other hand you do not have to pick through all the garbage. TGP is not as entertaining but it has a lot more meat. I think this forum is the place to learn about Health, FE, and Medicare but I think TGP is the place to learn about Life and about selling in general.

Rick can be very hardnosed on the phone, he does this when he feels you are making a mistake that could open you up to being piked like Neasham down the road. I can attest that he preaches buidling your moat wide and deep not only on the forum but also on the phone. For the small amount of production I have sent his way he has spent hours on the phone with me always giving me a push to take my business to the next level.

Rick can be very hardnosed on the phone, he does this when he feels you are making a mistake that could open you up to being piked like Neasham down the road. I can attest that he preaches buidling your moat wide and deep not only on the forum but also on the phone. For the small amount of production I have sent his way he has spent hours on the phone with me always giving me a push to take my business to the next level.

Yeah, I enjoyed talking to him the few times I did. He really does care and wants to help people.

Now, there was one thing I caught him at and he never really gave a good explanation of.

He is big on ANICO and is an IMO for them. He put together a chart comparing their premiums to other companies and ANICO looked really good on it. So good I couldn't believe it because I had never seen them in that neighborhood before. So I ran the quotes myself, come to find out ANICO was run at preferred best and everyone else as preferred. I asked him about it, he just said something to the effect you can't replicate charts like that.

I found that somewhat dishonest.

Back