Why Do You Need Insurance Continuing Education?

whether they are worth anything is up to you as an agent. If you want to just get through it, take what you already know. If you want to learn something new, kill two birds with one stone.

It can be a pain the ass, but you can also make it a situation where you can learn something new.

I agree.

The biggest problem with CE credits in our industry is that our CE course options tend to be pretty limited; and the regulations regarding approved courses is lengthy.

Compare that to accountants who have to get more CE hours than us (20 per year; 40 for your first year), but what counts as CE hours is much more liberal for them; most states do not require courses to be pre-approved unless its self study courses.

But think about if new agents were required to complete 20 or 40 hours in their first year in the biz.... I think that the quality of first year agents would go up considerably.

What I have experienced is I learned aot from these online courses, the best thing is I dont need to travel to institutes because I just need my computer to learn my course, even if I am at work, I learn the course in my lunch break. Online courses are such an ease, I am not sure if you guys will agree with me, but if any one of you have taken an online course then he/she will be able to share their experiences.

I agree.

The biggest problem with CE credits in our industry is that our CE course options tend to be pretty limited; and the regulations regarding approved courses is lengthy.

Compare that to accountants who have to get more CE hours than us (20 per year; 40 for your first year), but what counts as CE hours is much more liberal for them; most states do not require courses to be pre-approved unless its self study courses.

But think about if new agents were required to complete 20 or 40 hours in their first year in the biz.... I think that the quality of first year agents would go up considerably.

Maine DOI required 15 Credit hours for pre-licensees by doing the Life and Health book.

CE started when A L Williams had 240,000 (or whatever the number was) part-time agents that didn't know sh*t about what they were doing. Pre-licensing and CE was developed as a way to keep some of the riff raff out of the business.

CE started when A L Williams had 240,000 (or whatever the number was) part-time agents that didn't know sh*t about what they were doing. Pre-licensing and CE was developed as a way to keep some of the riff raff out of the business.

We know how well that is working. I wonder what the next "master plan" will be to accomplish that.

They give the DOI of various states a good feeling that they actually regulate agents.

The reality is, the CE is completely worthless and companies should be the ones assuring competence of their agents.

Rick

Completely worthless except to the companies selling them.

In order to remain up to date in the insurance industry, all insurance agents needs to take certification courses of specific credit hours so they can stay under the legal requirements prescribed by their state government.

But do you really think why are these courses required and how are they useful?

Insurance Continuing Education is a requirement for those insurance professionals who want to renew their license. Since topics and courses are changing each and every year, insurance agents/brokers/adjusters must be updated with the current trends and information. Ethics courses are also included in the CE package. But there is an exemption in many states for those who are licensed for more than 20 years.

Insurance Continuing Education is a requirement for those insurance professionals who want to renew their license. Since topics and courses are changing each and every year, insurance agents/brokers/adjusters must be updated with the current trends and information. Ethics courses are also included in the CE package. But there is an exemption in many states for those who are licensed for more than 20 years.

Hmmm, you wouldn't be surreptitously be promoting your own business, would you? We have an "offers" section on this forum for that type of posting.;)

Back