2009 Health Insurance Lead Ratings...Midyear Update

CHUMPS FROM OXFORD

Guru
5000 Post Club
IF ANYBODY KNOWS HOW TO MAKE THIS PRINT BIGGER...LET ME KNOW!

A few changes in this year's ratings. Instead of using my personal experiences, I used many people's comments and input (from 16 different states). Thus, I may personally disagree with some of the generalized comments, but the majority rules.

Companies are listed in alphabetical order and I tried to stay away from comparing one company to another. Also...keep in mind that the comments posted are OPINIONS of many brokers and should not be construed (or misconstrued) with scientific factual data.

Your results may be different, so if your ROI meets your expectations…keep using that lead vendor.

And finally…many lead vendors sell their services on this forum. Clearly, they have an agenda. If their comments are not in the “Offers” section (where they belong), discount those comments and seek unbiased opinions from other experienced members of the forum. Exceptions are responses to questions or comments about their particular lead service.

OK…Here We Go!

ALLWebLeads Consensus is that leads are oversold and quality is sub-par. Some issues seem to be key words they use to attract customers. On April 15th, the VP of Corporate Marketing was nice enough to post on the forum. He said he “will look into what is going on.” That’s the last we heard from him.

ASAP Based in Texas, this relatively small company claims their leads are search-engine driven only. They say they do not use affiliates, but have "key partners" they do business with. Prospect Zone and Netquote may be two of those partners. Lead quality has suffered a tad over the last few months. Credit policy is still consistent, and response time to requests is good. They still get a passing grade, but concern still exists regarding their “partners.”

HometownQuotes Most brokers who use them have relatively little to say...good or bad. Lead quality seems to be diminishing and the pesky EHealth link is quite prominent (or, at least it used to be). Common complaint is that many more brokers are receiving the lead than what is stated. Most brokers are NOT located in the hometown of the prospect.

InsuraceLeads.Com (formerly QuotesAuction) Generally negative reaction. Leads are below average in quality and many brokers complain that leads are vastly oversold. Nothing stands out with this company and repeat business is low.

InsuranceLeadz.com Recent posts on forum indicated lead quality still in question. My experience with them was unremarkable. Not a lot of broker activity. Same company as Insuranceagents.com. Incomplete grade.

InsureMe Formerly Insurance Shopping Network. Similar to Netquote although not as much volume. Do they resell leads? It appears they have a "partner relationship" with ProspectZone, which should be of grave concern. Credit policy is immediate and fair. Base cost of leads is fair, but addition of filters raises their price to uncompetitive levels. EHealth quite prominent when customers receive emails. (NOTE- No update since Jan 2009)

LeadCo An innovative company that offers, in most cases. quality leads. Oddly, most brokers seem satisfied with Leadco, but don't buy a high volume of leads from them. Their target (at least the result) is NOT the self-employed, despite what is stated on their website. Lead availability seems to be an issue. They say some of their leads are “non-solicited.” I wonder how.

MostChoice Until a few months ago, the most talked-about lead company on the Forum. Brokers don't seem to like MostChoice (most, that is). And the $500 upfront fee scares away many other brokers. A small sampling of results indicates those that tried MostChoice did not stay long. Lead quality was the major concern from those that left MostChoice.

NetQuote Quantity is rarely a problem with them. In many states, you can expect up to 20 leads per day, unless you reduce your target area. Quality seems to be a concern. Major usage of affiliates, and often up to eight brokers receive the lead. Credit policy is no longer fair since health conditions are NOT credited. As I have said many times..."Some of the best leads and some of the worst leads come from Netquote." Until they clamp down on affiliates (not lip service), brokers will continue to complain.

PreciseLeads.com Not enough broker response to form an opinion.

ProspectZone Nearly unanimous that their shared leads are very low quality. Their exclusive leads are a bit better, but most brokers still shy away from them. It's fairly clear that Norvax has a great product...but lead-generation is not their forte. Speaking of other Chicago based entities such as Matt Forte... Thumbs down for PZ. (NOTE-No Update since Jan 2009)

Vimo Similar to Netquote, some leads are excellent, and others must have been searching "free health insurance for the disabled." Volume seems to shift, depending on the month. Credit policy is above average. Customer Service is generally done via email, but response time is above average. They say they cap the number of brokers who receive the leads at four. Many brokers disagree with that assertion. Passing grade.

Zipsearch Definitely a common denominator here. "I used to use them" is what most brokers said. Results seemed to be mixed, but lead quality and ROI were major concerns that were apparently not taken care of. (NOTE-No update since Jan 2009

Last edited:
Soooo, bottom line is internet health lead companies are all bad? We are going to have to start grading degrees of bad.

In truth, internet lead quality (in my experience, though this is mostly P&C) has suffered greatly over the last few years. Lots of reasons for this, but it has to do with brokers want quantity first, then quality. Don't believe me? Watch how many times people post 'I get great leads, just not enough of them', which indicates they will pay more or buy more.

There isn't enough people shopping insurance to support all the leads people want. Quality will suffer since lead companies end up turning over rocks to get people to put in some sort of contact info.

Note that there is not a single lead company in this list that is recommended..... that is a sad (but probably accurate) story.

Dan

Dan...I wouldn't say that none are recommended. A few got passing grades and I indicated that if you're happy with your ROI...keep buying from that lead company.

But you are dead on...quality has suffered!

Chumps,

My suggestion is to put the lead landing pages in with the reviews. I do well with one company that others have said not to use. I have a good ROI. If we had landing pages (the lead generation sites), we could test the response to our dummy lead in our area. That way, we could know which lead companies are overselling in our areas and find ones that are not oversold in our areas. We would also understand the relationships of the lead venders behind the scenes. I know I have submitted a lead with allwebleads and got info back from vimo, netquotes, and various others in addition to the other individual agents.

Russelltw

Oh, yes they do. I know allwebleads has TONS of them. They pretty much fall into 2 types. Location sites (city and state) www.ohio-health-insurance-plans.com and this site www.givemeinsurancequotes.com. I am sure there are others, but these are the typical ones I see.

By knowing where they are, you can test them in your zip codes and know what you are up against. That's how I figured out I was getting killed with their leads. I tested another vendor and was getting twice the ROI I was getting with AWL. I tested both and quickly figured out why I was getting a better ROI with the other company.

Thanks

With Allwebleads...upon completion of the medical information, a message is displayed indicating you will be contacted by brokers. On the next screen, an EHealth quote screen appears with your information already loaded for the quote. The "Get Quotes" tab is prominent.

One gets the impression that this is the final step of the process, and clicking on the tab finally gets you your leads.

Testing the response is something each person can do and perhaps should do before signing up with the lead company. This will vary greatly from agent to agent depending on where they are, the way the wind blows that day, etc.

What Chumps had done a good job of is working more on the policies of the company, with a bit of the overall general 'response' from that company. Face it, if they will oversell leads in one area, they will in another, though they may not be right at the moment.

Dan

I agree, I just suggested that the lead generation page would be provided so we could test the lead providers and how many times they resell. I guess it would also depend on an affiliate. If the affiliate sells the data to 3 vendors at the same time, then you understand why we get what we get. The VIMO guy told me the lead I created on allwebleads shows up on their database as being generated thru PPC campaign. Not sure how accurate that is...

I tried to be an affiliate sometime ago to generate leads, but who we sold it to required that the "landing page" transport the lead to the medical questions page on the lead vendors site. So there was no way to collect the data and resell it. We just found the lead thru PPC on google, then transferred it to the lead vendor.

Back