Door hangers-Real ROI numbers

I've considered doing a Value-Pak mailing. I get them 1-2 times a month and although I haven't called any of the inserts, I do open it and look thru the inserts. I've not seen an insert for health insurance. Does anyone have any experiences, success, with this type of lead generation?

I've considered doing a Value-Pak mailing. I get them 1-2 times a month and although I haven't called any of the inserts, I do open it and look thru the inserts. I've not seen an insert for health insurance. Does anyone have any experiences, success, with this type of lead generation?

With any of these types of marketing initiatives, you have to keep in mind who your audience is, and what your ideal client is, and whether they fit together.

To me, the Val-Pak system screams for the coupon:
Health Insurance - Family of 4 - $49.95 per month

(I could be wrong on this, just I see this targeting the 'high-value' type of shopper, high-value meaning very low cost, not good value).

If you want to attract that type of client, it is probably a good way to reach out and find some clients. On the other hand, if you want to attract clients that will pay a reasonable amount for health coverage (or whatever it is you are selling), then it might not be the best way to spend your money.

That said, it all depends what it costs. If it is a couple of hundred dollars, I might try it out to see how well it works. Keep in mind, the true cost is in answering your phone with the $49.95 type of shopper, and the time you spend screening these.

Dan

Where I live, each and every val-pak has a piece from kaiser and Anthem/bc.

The kaiser piece has a grid on rates. I forget what the Anthem piece looks like other thatn listing some benefits.

Perhaps you should try this:

1. Determine the part of town you want to market.
2. Contact your local pizza joint and offer to give them a free coupon in exchange for delivery of your ad piece.
3. Print flyer with your info on one side, and pizza coupon on the other.

For your ad, have them call for a chance to win a free pizza. Then send them a pizza if they buy from you.

If you really want to get fancy, hire someone to call on other businesses in the area and sell them coupons too.

Jesse McDonald (New Mind Fashion) tried ValPak and had very little success last time I talked to him. Like padthai, I see KP & BX ads in almost every ValPak envelope . . . and in the Sunday paper.

Sometimes they are carrier ads (particularly KP) and sometimes agent driven. One local agent pushes Coventry for everything. They used to push BX but have been on a Coventry kick for over a year now.

The carriers will subsidize a producing agent paying half or more of the advertising cost.

Like eHealth and over high vis forms of advertising, it takes a lot of money to run a campaign like that. Print ads are especially expensive with very low return.

The KP & Coventry ads are benefit rich and include a grid for a $3000 or $5000 deductible which keeps the premium low.

KP has an online app so you can quote and apply online.

Coventry has yet to come up with an online app and is not (yet) on eHealth. I doubt they will ever get their act together.

As for the pizza ads, someone on this forum suggested that a while back. As I recall they suggested printing your ad on a pizza box so that every take out and delivery pizza would have their ad.

Custom printed boxes run $0.40 - $0.50 per box in quantity. Figuring on the high end, 1000 boxes will run $500. A small pizza shop will probably go through (just a wag here) 2000+ per month.

I suppose with the right ad you could make it work.

Flyers with pizza ads would be slightly more cost effective.

Agents used to give out calendars with their contact information. I would think they would still be effective today and probably more so than throw away flyers. A nice refrigerator magnet given away early on in the year would be around for 12 months . . . sometimes longer. We have a plumber calendar on our frig that is 6 years old.

Thanks for your thoughts; the Pizza flyer idea is something I have never thought about. When I was working F2F in the rural areas, I would print place mats for resturants showing local ads, with prime placement of my ad and 800 #. This required very small $$$'s invested other than the time it took to find locals who wanted to be included,(they paid for the printing). The locals drew good from the ads, I got very poor results. My local market is very tourist oriented, condo and weekend rentals. Makes me wonder if the Pizza flyer would work here. After the tourist season is over, this seems like a great idea.

I'm guessing this would work for life and disability as well. Can you post what you used? I'm just looking for some ideas on layout and wording.

Also, I went to the other thread and read some feedback re: the web site. Could somebody critique mine? It's www.planfortomorrow.net

Thanks,

If you want to attract that type of client, it is probably a good way to reach out and find some clients. On the other hand, if you want to attract clients that will pay a reasonable amount for health coverage (or whatever it is you are selling), then it might not be the best way to spend your money.

Dan

It got better after you posted. "health insurance for no more than the cost of a pizza", no the slice of pizza. You should bring in some real doozies, maybe even some crank calls from drunk college students.

Back