Free Online Tools To Help Evaluate Lead Companies, Part 1

MikeLevy

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I've seen many posts from people asking the following type questions regarding lead companies: "Has anybody heard of ____? Are their leads any good? Can I trust them? etc. etc." Those are good questions to ask in this forum. However, there are also simple tools you can use online, for free, that will also help you investigate a lead company. Here are a few examples:

Most questions boil down to lead quality. One of the best indicators of lead quality is the source of the lead and the type of audience that makes up the traffic. This can be determined by the other interests of that traffic. Quantcast.com tracks visitor interests by tracking what a website's "Audience Also Likes" and "Audience Also Visits." What I feel is important is that you see other websites listed that bear some relationship to the type of insurance you sell. Keep in mind, it is not uncommon to see other lead company websites in these categories. People who are interested in insurance will visit multiple lead generation websites while shopping and lead generation websites push traffic to each other. Even small amounts of traffic pushed between websites can result in a high affinity score between the two.

What I feel should raise an eyebrow is when a website that you don't typically think of being related to insurance occupies a category and has a high affinity score. I personally don't believe there is a natural strong relationship between, for example, a lottery or prize website (incentive) and a natural interest in insurance. After all, insurance has nothing to do with prizes. Therefore, if you see websites like mypoints.com, bigwin.com, luckysurf.com, iwon.com, publishersclearinghouse.com, and/or rewardport.com you may want to ask that lead company what percentage of the leads they are selling come from that traffic. You also might want to ask if they give a discount on leads coming from that traffic (I don't know if they will give a discount but it is my personal opinion that it is not worth as much as other leads.)

Take a look at what two of those same three company's visitors also like and visit (MostChoice doesn't use any incentive websites and I am running out of space for this post, 10000 character max.)

netquote.com - Quantcast Audience Profile
Audience Also Likes
question_mark.png

The people who visit netquote.com are also likely to visit these categories and sites:

Affinity:Audience Also Visits
question_mark.png

The people who visit netquote.com are also likely to visit:
Affinityinsureme.com - Quantcast Audience Profile Audience Also Likes
question_mark.png

The people who visit insureme.com are also likely to visit these categories and sites:
AffinityAudience Also Visits
question_mark.png

The people who visit insureme.com are also likely to visit:
AffinityHopefully, this will help you in your search for a good lead company.

Yes thank you very much.

Your very welcome. BTW, now that I have enough space and for purposes of full disclosure, this is the same report for MostChoice.com. I believe you will notice a big difference in websites and affinity scores.

Audience Also Likes
question_mark.png

The people who visit mostchoice.com are also likely to visit these categories and sites:
AffinityAudience Also Visits
question_mark.png

The people who visit mostchoice.com are also likely to visit:
Affinity

Mike is there a website that will tell you which keyword searches . a vendor uses to get traffic?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Also Mike, on Quantcast are those Unique Visitors or just hits?

Last edited:
Mike is there a website that will tell you which keyword searches . a vendor uses to get traffic?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Also Mike, on Quantcast are those Unique Visitors or just hits?

Compete.com measures unique visitors. Quantcast does statistical tracking. They don't give a unique visitor number or hit number. They just calculate which websites are statistically significantly related by audience.

Keyword searches would be nice to know. I know Netquote uses "Dental" in some of their searches and it drives me up a wall.

I'll look and see if I can find a good free one that would be of value. The problem with keywords is that with tail term advertising you can drive a lot of traffic to your website with a keyword but that says nothing about conversion. In other words, lets say you can buy all the traffic you want with the term "dental" at a penny a click. However, only one visitor in a thousand fills out a form. It will look like that is a significant source of traffic but in reality it is a small source of leads. Thats the difference between search traffic and incentive traffic. The whole process is different because there is no other incentive to fill out the form other than what they really want.

What makes you think the problem is with a keyword and not a dental website affiliate? I'm sure we have some tail term advertising on some form of "dental" term yet we rarely get a lead from it. If someone is looking for dental insurance only and they land on a health form they will just hit there back button if they aren't interested in health insurance. Only a small percentage of people looking for dental are also looking for health. I would imagine they would do the same with any lead companies form, unless it had "Dental Insurance" only on it without a description that the form was for health insurance. To be fair, I have never seen a Netquote Dental form.

Back