How to Market to Post Office Employees

Lepalms

Expert
I am interested in targeting individuals specific to the work industry they are in. Specifically, I am wanting to market directly to Post Office Employees.

Any recommdndations on companies to consider for directory information on Postal workers?

I am thinking that because they are government workers, there data should be public record. I could be wrong.

Any suggestion on how to market directly to these industry workers? :err:

My market is almost exclusive to Postal Employees...Easy to sell, if you have the right products, a little more challenging to contact this group than the general public...knowledge of their benefit programs and their payroll system is a must for credibility...I can put you in the right direction...It is a very warm market, since federal employees have no disability protection in their basic benefit package...

Before 9/11 you could show up at any postal facility and be waived in through the side door. I spent some time shadowing a buddy a few years back as he drove from PO to PO going in to the work area and sitting in the break room waiting for folks to come by. Sometimes he would wander around, glad handing and inviting folks to stop by and chat.

It was amazing to me the number of folks, including the PM, who seemed to have so much free time that they could stop what they were doing (except those in the customer service area) and chat about insurance.

He also went on army bases and did likewise. So many folks, in uniform as well as civilians with so little to do and willing to talk about insurance.

Some bought, but not many. Gotta talk it over with the wife, that kind of thing.

He made some money off DI sales but most came from FEGLI conversions. Even then, it wasn't a lot of money.

He was trying to recruit me and build an agency of sorts of sub-agents willing to fan out to the hinterlands selling payroll allotment plans. He had a buddy who made decent money, or so I was told, doing seminars on FEGLI conversion and pension max.

I lost track of Rudy for a while then he called me a few years ago and he was pushing option ARM mortgages coupled with and F&G UL product. They had an Excel spreadsheet program where you plug in some numbers and show folks how they can pay off their mortgage in 7 - 10 years by paying interest only mortgage payments and investing the difference in the UL product.

I never got beyond the recruiting seminar for that one. Must have been 100 agents in the room. Can't say how many of them ponied up the $1000 or so to buy in to the mortgage/UL deal.

The guy promoting was out of NV and supposedly had a mortgage company that would allow him to write loans all over the US. Each loan we did paid 100 - 150 basis points in origination fees. We could build in whatever we wanted but were advised to keep it at 150 or less.

The mortgage broker had 200 points for himself plus another 100 for recruiters and trainers between me and the loan officer. A fully loaded loan would have 450 points in origination.

Add in the UL commission and overrides (if you bought in at the recruiting level) and this was going to be a sweet ride.

Back to USPS employees . . .

Perhaps you can make money in that game. I can't say. Perhaps Tony T will shed some light.

Like any market, there are agents who excel and agents who will not succeed...It is important to have a steady flow of people to see whether in the federal market or the general public...I've done both and the difference, IMHO, is in the initial contact with the prospect...With Postal or Federal Employees, the prospect responds as if you're trying to help guide them through their employee benefit selections, rather than trying to sell them insurance...The closing ratio doesn't seem that much different than with the standard population but, the first call is much warmer...Also,The renewal commissions on the DI products in the federal market are generous enough to build a nice book...I'm not a super star producer but, in the past 5 years, I've been to the Galapagos Islands, Portugal's Azore Islands, and Argentina just on Federal Business through one agency...

I've had a few requests for info. on this market...The forum tells me I don't have enough posts to respond...If you are interested, I'll respond to an e-mail address...Tony

Tony,

I also attempted to send you a message, but the forum would not let me as well.
I can be emailed directly at [email protected].

I look foward to communicating with you.

Monica:)

I've had a few requests for info. on this market...The forum tells me I don't have enough posts to respond...If you are interested, I'll respond to an e-mail address...Tony

Tony did you get my email? I really need to talk with you ASAP. Thank you in advance for your help.

Back