Internet Lead Process/Script

"I make sure I call at the appointed time. Either I get them or I don't."

You had them, you let them go.

"I don't chase people, manipulate them, or beat them up and drag them across the finish line."

There's none of what you mentioned above in my approach.

"My approach suits my style and has been effective for many years. It allows me to close business the "closers" can't and quite often take business away from "closers"."

Effective doesn't mean there's no room for improvement.

If closers close sales, and you're asking permission to do your job, and then you politely let them go and might never get them back on the phone, who gets the sale? Another agent does. Because don't kid yourself, when you let someone go and then they don't pick up or return your call, in many cases they're still buying insurance, just not from you!

The best and only time you can sell is when you have them on the phone, so try, if they tell me it's not a good time, different story I respect that, but if they were looking for insurance and put their info online, isn't that permission enough?

PS: By you reminding them that they had an appointment with you is merely a parting shot on your behalf.

To many agents set themselves up to not write the app.

Their 1st sentence is normally wrong:

"I see you're looking for quotes."

wrong

"I see you're looking for health insurance."

Agents also don't even try:

prospect: "can't you just email me quotes - you're the forth agent to call."

agent: "oh, I'm sorry and yes, I can email your quotes."

wrong

"only four agents have called already? Wow, typically I'm the 8th or 10th to call. Listen, this is really very easy and simple. Give me a few minutes and getting a policy will be one more thing off your plate."

I truly respect both you John, and Somarco but here's the thing:

By saying this.

"Give me a few minutes and getting a policy will be one more thing off your plate."

You're still implying that by speaking with you they'll have to make a decision. Why do this before they have a reason to think you'll be any different than the other agents?

How about this?

How come you haven't come to a decision yet?
Is there something I can assist you with, maybe a question that you have?

I can only imagine (and do only receive) a much more relaxed, positive outcome from those questions.

There's a training freebie for y'all.

We'll we're missing something that can't be trained - building rapport...which is either natural because you care about your clients or forced because you read it in a book.

I LOVE to chat with people...it's why I got into sales. Trust is established when they see you take a real interest in them.

Do they have two kids?

Or do they have two kids ages 6 and 8?

Or they have have one six year old daughter, Megan, who just got into dance and eight year old son, Ryan, who has a soccer game this coming weekend.

Does she have a "husband, age 46" or does she have Tom - married 16 years and just started his own roofing company two years ago.

And there in lies the real difference.

Last edited:
Rob -

Not sure who you are trying to sell, or train, but it isn't working on me. If you are not-so-subtly pitching your services to others, fine.

I know exactly what I am doing when working with a prospect. My style is something that cannot be taught. Either you have it or you don't.

I give my client ample opportunity to buy but I never sell them a thing. I gently direct them to look at things in a different light while always making them feel as if they are in control. They never feel pressure but that does not mean that I do not give them reason to buy. I lay out the consequences of delay and ALWAYS give them a choice.

As I said earlier. What I do drives trainers crazy because I never do the same thing twice. I have learned canned sales pitches and it always comes out unnatural. I have used props, flip charts, power point and eventually get back to what is natural.

A yellow pad, asking questions, then listening and taking copious notes.

Most folks are too smart to be led around by a fancy pitch . . . at least, that is the way it is with my clients. I sell folks you and John never could and vice versa.

So what?

This is not a game where the guy with the most toys wins.

At least not to me.

You guys have fun thumping your chest. The only reaon I responded is because Josh asked for someone who has an 8:1 ROI to share what they do.

I do and I did.

I feel no need to justify my approach to anyone. And I seriously doubt there are more than a handful of guys on this forum who do what I do with my clients.

No big deal.

PS: Another reason this is bad.

Do you have 2 minutes for me?"

Does your sales presentation combined with submitting the policy take two minutes?

No way!

So you're possibly misleading them ("I thought you said two minutes") and also giving them an out after they entertain you for 'two minutes.'

I'm not trying to advertise my training, I'm trying to help others and it always come back to me in a positive manner.

A 'canned' or 'fancy' pitch is garbage, It's very different than a methodical defined series of events that lead to a predetermined result, which is what I do.

A pitch is for baseball players, a script is for actors.

A presentation is for salespeople.

I'm not saying you're not good at what you do but there is always room for improvement, if you didn't agree you wouldn't mention that you read Gitomer and stuff like that.

So why is it that you can't you believe that I might be the next Gitomer?

it's possible isn't it?

If you're style can't be taught, how did you learn it? And why are you trying to share it with others here?

Rob -

Not sure who you are trying to sell, or train, but it isn't working on me. If you are not-so-subtly pitching your services to others, fine.

I know exactly what I am doing when working with a prospect. My style is something that cannot be taught. Either you have it or you don't.

I give my client ample opportunity to buy but I never sell them a thing. I gently direct them to look at things in a different light while always making them feel as if they are in control. They never feel pressure but that does not mean that I do not give them reason to buy. I lay out the consequences of delay and ALWAYS give them a choice.

As I said earlier. What I do drives trainers crazy because I never do the same thing twice. I have learned canned sales pitches and it always comes out unnatural. I have used props, flip charts, power point and eventually get back to what is natural.

A yellow pad, asking questions, then listening and taking copious notes.

Most folks are too smart to be led around by a fancy pitch . . . at least, that is the way it is with my clients. I sell folks you and John never could and vice versa.

So what?

This is not a game where the guy with the most toys wins.

At least not to me.

You guys have fun thumping your chest. The only reaon I responded is because Josh asked for someone who has an 8:1 ROI to share what they do.

I do and I did.

I feel no need to justify my approach to anyone. And I seriously doubt there are more than a handful of guys on this forum who do what I do with my clients.

No big deal.

I want to be clear.

As I said before I respect you guys, I am not insulting you, nor am I questioning your character or sales ability. I am merely pointing out what I've seen work or not work throughout my travels in hope that it may benefit those who seek improvement.

There's more than enough money to go around.

You know I love you Somarco!!

PS: One of the best tips so far!!

"A yellow pad, asking questions, then listening and taking copious notes."

While I have never - nor will I ever - paid for a lead, I have gotten some for free, as part of a promotion from a company.

I tend to take the "talk to them as I'd want to be talked to" approach.

This is Bob Levine. I'm an insurance agent in Atlanta, Ga. I just received a (card/notification) with your name and number on it, for a quote for health insurance. Before I went any further, I just wanted to call and verify that it was you who sent the information.

The information I got was...(repeat all the height/weight/sex/address/name info). Is that all correct?

If no, then...

Excuse the ring. If I were you, I'd contact your internet provider. Someone's using your identity on the internet.

If yes, then...

Ok, then. Listen, if you haven't already, you're about to get a deluge of phone calls from insurance agents left and right. We're all going to sound alike, and ask you the same questions. If you're just looking to get the cheapest rate, I'm not going to waste your time or mine. That's not how I operate. I'll let another agent do that.

If, however, you want someone to actually put together a plan that works best for you, then I'll stay in touch. Which way do you want to go with it?

If they're just kicking tires...

Ok, then. Good luck to you. You won't hear from me again.

If they want a plan design...

Ok, great. Let me do some shopping around for you, based on the information I got. I may need to call you back. I'll try you back twice. If I don't get an answer, than I'll assume you either found someone else to get you what you needed, or else you were just BS'n me.

My number is 404-551-5339. Please do me the courtesy of calling me, if you've found something before I call back. Like you, I'm not going to work with someone who doesn't want to work with me.

Fair enough? Ok. Expect to hear from me within 48 hours with an update.

Because leads are not relationship builders, at this point, I don't want them doing all the talking. It's a waste of my time. I want to lay down the law as to how I operate. If they just want the cheapest rate, I'll pass them by and call back in 9 months.

Back