Lead Generation Startup Help

As a lead gen vet I've decided to leave a large provider and go out on my own and solve some of the problems I see in the lead generation industry. I'm hoping to speak with a few agents who frequently purchase online leads to shape the final product.

I'll pose a few questions out in the open, though.

The #1 issue I've seen is simply an inability to get in contact with leads. Obviously source plays a major part, but in general leads get tired of answering calls or emails. We will be auto-crediting unresponsive leads.

What percentage of leads that you purchase are you never able to contact?

Of the leads you do contact, what % do you close?

What's the minimum amount of information to begin a conversation with a lead?

I'm excited to share some of the details, but I want to make sure we're developing a product that makes sense.

I honestly think that changing the approach to how you get agents to commit to your company. Why should their be a deposit? How about going with a minimum purchase to start. Maybe offer a discounted lead purchase price with a deposit. Trust is the # 1 thing as a new lead company. Think how can my company separate itself from the others. Think big be bold..

Also if you see that getting in contact with the person is an issue then draft a white paper with best practices leverage that white paper to build your e-mail list. If you really start to get good call me by that time I will be looking to purchase a couple of lead companies...lol.

Answers to your questions:

1. I don't have a problem getting in contact with leads but this also is not a measurement that I take into consideration. I measure return of investment period so if I spend 100$ and get back 3,000 that was a success. If I spend $2000 and get back 2300. that was a bust. (There is no such thing as loosing money on a lead buy, I know this happens I just haven't experienced it yet.)

2. The average close percentage of the leads I buy are 3% ..my close ratio is 15%. I also track my close ratio over a lot longer time span than most. To me a better question would be: How many leads can you close within 90 days or whatever the agreed upon time frame is. It also matters what type of leads that you are looking for life, health P&C etc.

If it's cheaper for you, then you should probably be a lead generator.

I understand where both sides are coming from on this topic. The truth is if you take into account the time it takes you to learn SEO keep up with the new trends. Learn PPC and google analytics while becoming proficient at it ...you have spent a lot of money. Obviously, if you pay someone to do it you have still spent a good deal of money which is worst because a lot of the time you haven't advanced your knowledge. Generating your own leads as I'm starting to see pays for itself over and over again. In other words it does cost more in the beginning but over a period of time it pays for itself x20.

The truth is if you are going to grow your business to the point where we would all like it you have to start exploring both options.

Back