Leads Input from FE and MedSupp Agents

Can't you guys just screen for who is paying more than $100 per month by asking that question?

That would eliminate most MAPDs.

Even that doesn't work. They don't know. Telemarkers ask that question and if person says "I don't know " bang you got a lead. Just part of the deal.

Even that doesn't work. They don't know. Telemarkers ask that question and if person says "I don't know " bang you got a lead. Just part of the deal.

I wonder if they asked Does the premium come through your bank account or out of your Social Security check?

If they don't know, it's an MAPD.

I agree that it is not a perfect knock out question. Some people who say "I don't know" aren't paying anything - others are paying a good amount and that's just what they say.

however, if anyone mentions MA on the call, or that they are paying less than $100 a month, we drop them. That would not count as a lead in my book ...

True it doesnt work all the time...but if someone were to say "I dont know", that isnt a lead. We pulled medsupp leads until we have a stable and predictable lead perfected. Just about there.

----------

Can't you guys just screen for who is paying more than $100 per month by asking that question?

That would eliminate most MAPDs.

Whaddya mean by you guys? I pulled our medsupp leads almost a year ago because we wanted to get it perfected. It is true that asking the question on monthly premium helps....I think it needs to be at least $125....but you will get MA people no matter what. The key is to not to try and generate leads in a MA rich penetration area.....if thats the case just sell MA during AEP and get leads another way for those folks.

True it doesnt work all the time...but if someone were to say "I dont know", that isnt a lead. We pulled medsupp leads until we have a stable and predictable lead perfected. Just about there. ---------- Whaddya mean by you guys? I pulled our medsupp leads almost a year ago because we wanted to get it perfected. It is true that asking the question on monthly premium helps....I think it needs to be at least $125....but you will get MA people no matter what. The key is to not to try and generate leads in a MA rich penetration area.....if thats the case just sell MA during AEP and get leads another way for those folks.

I'm not a lead vendor. I'm asking not telling. You guys means -lead vendors.

I would think that screening telephone-leads for 1. Paying the premium through a bank account and 2. Do you pay more than $100 per month - you would have very few Med Advantage people come through there.

I know with Med Sup direct mail I always got a LOT of Med Advantage responders.

True it doesnt work all the time...but if someone were to say "I dont know", that isnt a lead. We pulled medsupp leads until we have a stable and predictable lead perfected. Just about there.

----------

Whaddya mean by you guys? I pulled our medsupp leads almost a year ago because we wanted to get it perfected. It is true that asking the question on monthly premium helps....I think it needs to be at least $125....but you will get MA people no matter what. The key is to not to try and generate leads in a MA rich penetration area.....if thats the case just sell MA during AEP and get leads another way for those folks.

It's tough to get the perfect lead, I call myself when I get the time and unless you can keep them on the phone long enough to actually look at their card you are going to get some. Calling low MAPD areas is the first step and like fortune said the "do you pay more than $100" is another great filter. I use $125, but you still get some. I think it is just part of the cost of doing business, you have to deal with some.

It's tough to get the perfect lead, I call myself when I get the time and unless you can keep them on the phone long enough to actually look at their card you are going to get some. Calling low MAPD areas is the first step and like fortune said the "do you pay more than $100" is another great filter. I use $125, but you still get some. I think it is just part of the cost of doing business, you have to deal with some.

Area is everything ... Here are a few tips to selecting a good area when marketing for Medicare supplements (mail, phone, or Internet).

There will be good parts and bad parts to market to in any state.

My personal preferences for target demographic:

- Areas that are more 'Rural' (These folks tend to not be marketed to as much as the city folks).

- Areas with a Medicare Advantage penetration % less than 30% (If you also offer MA, this might not be as important to you).

- Checking that the carriers you offer and are contracted with are competitively priced in the area you are marketing to (This one sounds silly, but seems to be forgotten about by agents all the time).

Ok, I will be the one to say it.

Generally speaking, Medicare Supplement Agents are weak.

The reason most, if not all vendors who sell MS leads either stop or raise the rates is because MS agents want and expect too much. They are too weak to hire their own telemarketer or develop their own DM lead.

We say Medicare supplement like 10 times during conversation.
We ask which plan they have F,G, or N.
We ask do you pay over $123 per month?
We ask do you pay a co-pay when you go to the Dr?
We ask what is the name of the company you use for you MS plan?

We tested over and over and over and the highest close rate was with the leads that said "i don't know to most if not all of the questions".

The leads that answered the questions in a positive manner, meaning most likely a MS client, which was very few and would have made the lead cost more than an agent wants to pay, the close rate was significantly less that the "i dunno group".

I have been in hundreds of homes where in I ask the lead how much do you pay? "I dunno", who do you use for your health insurance? "i dunno", can you go grab your card for me, " ok" 15 minutes later they bring there Medicare card, No I meant your other health insurance card, they bring their Part D card, etc etc.

The bottom line is if a person goes thru a 4 minute phone call and tries to answer the questions and says they want a call back it is a lead, and we made sales from every catagory you can think of.

The difference between weak agents and not, is the ones that are not, figured out how to maximize the leads, which is easy to do.

FYI I do not sell MS leads to retail agents, I use them for my own call center, I learned the hard way that you can't make MS agents happy. But somehow the leads work for my call center.

We tested over and over and over and the highest close rate was with the leads that said "i don't know to most if not all of the questions".

Let me get this straight ...

JG says that would not be considered a lead in his book ...

But it has the highest closing percentage of any possible answers.... ;)

Sorry JG, you set yourself up for this one!!!

----------

Let me get this straight ... JG says that would not be considered a lead in his book ... But it has the highest closing percentage of any possible answers.... ;) Sorry JG, you set yourself up for this one!!!

My theory is - these people never thought about it, and after they get the phone call, they go check and get concerned they are paying too much.

I have seen that happen on multiple occasions.

"My premium is only suppose to be $155, why is it $205 now !!!!! "

Back