Long Term Care: where can I get leads?

johnrhoades

Hi. I just recently had a website built - i was hoping i didn't have to do as much work by having a lot of customers to the site. So far, they've just been trickling down, i seriously need to have more leads. Do you guys know where I could buy some for long term care? Thanks.

Who would be centers of influence for long term care? It's somewhat like medical coverage, you can't go to the doctors office to get referrals for individual plans, theres just something wrong with that. You can't go to nursing homes to get referrals for long term care, either. Okay, unless it's for the children or grandchildren.

The one center of influence that would have an impact is a financial planner, but then, guess who sells the most long term care insurance?

Dan

I'm kind of in the same situation and have pretty much come to the conclusion that I will have to create my own leads.

Right now I'm leaning towards a mail campaign to certain demographics, like age and value of home, using either my own material or material provided free by one of the companies I use. I think I might also use some newspaper advertising on a small scale just to see what results I get. However, newspaper ads typically get you a lot of non-qualified people wasting your time.

Only one way to find out. Mail campaigns can be quite expensive, by the way. Typically you can plan on spending 60 cents per piece. You can go cheaper with postcards which should be oversized if used at all. Oversized postcard mailings get up close to the same price range as regular mail.

In my own situation, I don't think I can justify the cost just for LTCI. I think I would include other product pitches at the same time. I know this can be overdone, but it is something I am thinking through at the moment.

Oh gosh if you think for one minute "financial planners" are selling LTC you have got to redirect your thoughts.... Don't forget about tax people. CPAs may be hard hit but then there's always enrolled agents and state licensed people as well. Then there's always attorneys. Especially the ones who claim to have done 19,000 living trusts (I should've kept that ad I saw today! Darn!) Those attorneys couldn't possibly be doing true planning. And start making friendly with the wirehouse people, because they truly don't want to be bothered with this stuff.

Its pricey and hard as hell to qualify for, so many seniors are ruled out. However, the 45-65 age bracket is probably the demographic to aim for (income qualified of course).

Easiest LTC to sell:

1) Allianz. Get minimal (therefore inexpensive) coverage at first. Policy lets you increase coverage every 5 years without further underwriting. "In good health now and don't want to pay big bucks for full coverage and an inflation rider? Then this is for you."

2) Penn Treaty. Overcome initial resistance to sale by taking application over the phone or in home with a simple 5 question health pre-screen. No up-front premium. Business is submitted to Penn by email or fax and they return a 30-day commitment and a full coverage proposal. You can even email the app in the presence of the client -they like that you are working fast and getting them answers as soon as possible.

Other points: Allianz has a 30% discount for both spouses if they apply at the same time. Most companies have some spousal discount that can be a good selling point if you make the customer aware.

Penn Treaty is more likely to write a serious health issue than most.

Other companies may have some or many of these features. I just find these the easiest to sell.

Back