Sources of Internet MediGap Leads

Thank you Frank...The best idea since...I won't ask when you sold your first policy. I know you are no spring chicken :D

Now my expectations are really high for this idea...we will see. John and the Insurance Guy dont know it but they helped design my card for me.
moz-screenshot.jpg

Kyle,

How about reposting that link so we can see the card.

Got an error msg that the file is too big...how do you post a screen shot on here?

Thank you Frank...The best idea since...I won't ask when you sold your first policy. I know you are no spring chicken :D

Sold my first Med Supp policy in 1993. I could have started in this business when I was 18 years old. I may not still be a "Spring" chicken but I'm still able to lay eggs though. :D

Kyle,

I don't necessarily want to throw a wet blanket on your enthusiasm, but be careful of the advice you give here.

Granted, I am a newbee, but I am a studious newbee, and I have read the Medicare Do Not Call Act, and have noted that several states have recently begun coming down on those who are ignoring this and other CMS regs. To wit, just last Tuesday an article in the New York Times told of how Oklahoma is all over Humana about compliance issues. Granted, they were also using unlicensed agents to sell plans, but the point is that they are holding the companies liable for compliance by their agents, and the investigations are growing, state by state.

Texas has indicted Lead Concepts for deceptive advertising because their lead solicitation did not conform to the law. If I were you, I would make sure my postcard complied with all state and federal requirements. It is not difficult.... the regs are short and to the point. All you have to do is follow the directions. I printed out the lawsuit and will use it as a guideline for the draft of my own mailer, checking it against my state's laws.

Basically, you can send out a mailer asking for a response with your phone number, then return that call within the rules for outbound telemarketing (times, do not call list, etc.) and make an appointment. You cannot enroll over the phone, but you also cannot tell them you have to have a face-to-face to explain the plans. If they want info, you are required to give it to them, and if they don't want to see you or have you call again, you have to respect that. Then you can't call them again for six months.

It is further stipulated that your contact with prospects requires that you disclose that you are an insurance agent, and you are compensated by the companies you represent. You then have to tell them who those companies are, and discuss in detail the plan you intend to present before you meet them. Ostensibly, these rules are there to allow them to say no, and refuse your offer. If they are truly interested, they will set an appointment. I don't see anything wrong with that. It will save a lot of wasted time and gasoline.

It appears simple enough for me to understand. I intend to follow the rules. I do not want to jeopardize my license.

Note: this is not a complete list of the guidelines. See the CMS website for further guidance. It wouldn't hurt to read your company's guidelines for marketing, also.

Last edited:
Kyle,

I don't necessarily want to throw a wet blanket on your enthusiasm, but be careful of the advice you give here.

Granted, I am a newbee, but I am a studious newbee, and I have read the Medicare Do Not Call Act, and have noted that several states have recently begun coming down on those who are ignoring this and other CMS regs. To wit, just last Tuesday an article in the New York Times told of how Oklahoma is all over Humana about compliance issues. Granted, they were also using unlicensed agents to sell plans, but the point is that they are holding the companies liable for compliance by their agents, and the investigations are growing, state by state.

Texas has indicted Lead Concepts for deceptive advertising because their lead solicitation did not conform to the law. If I were you, I would make sure my postcard complied with all state and federal requirements. It is not difficult.... the regs are short and to the point. All you have to do is follow the directions. I printed out the lawsuit and will use it as a guideline for the draft of my own mailer, checking it against my state's laws.

Basically, you can send out a mailer asking for a response with your phone number, then return that call within the rules for outbound telemarketing (times, do not call list, etc.) and make an appointment. You cannot enroll over the phone, but you also cannot tell them you have to have a face-to-face to explain the plans. If they want info, you are required to give it to them, and if they don't want to see you or have you call again, you have to respect that. Then you can't call them again for six months.

It is further stipulated that your contact with prospects requires that you disclose that you are an insurance agent, and you are compensated by the companies you represent. You then have to tell them who those companies are, and discuss in detail the plan you intend to present before you meet them. Ostensibly, these rules are there to allow them to say no, and refuse your offer. If they are truly interested, they will set an appointment. I don't see anything wrong with that. It will save a lot of wasted time and gasoline.

It appears simple enough for me to understand. I intend to follow the rules. I do not want to jeopardize my license.

Note: this is not a complete list of the guidelines. See the CMS website for further guidance. It wouldn't hurt to read your company's guidelines for marketing, also.

retread,

I think you may need to read Kyle's posts again. He is not marketing MA or PDP plans with his postcard or phone calls. Since he is marketing Medicare Supplements, the only things he needs to make sure he is in compliance with is if he mentions any specific product it must meet that carriers guidelines, and of course, the Do Not Call list. Other than that, he's good to go. The rules you mentioned pertain to MA and PDP plans.

Kyle,

Retread,
What part of my method violates CMS regulations?

I always:
  • Identify myself as an agent
  • Follow all DNC regulations--including operating with my SAN#
  • Keep my postcards generic...advertising me, not a product
  • Enroll in person unless requested otherwise by the client
I am well versed on Medicare compliance and am not giving any advice here that violates those regulations.

Oh, and I also publish my full name on my postcards...as well as on this forum. Nothing to hide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, Okay!

I am not condemning Kyle's method. I am just trying to warn everyone to look before they leap. It is meant to help, including Kyle.

As far as compliance being only required of MA plans, I should think that if one keeps his guidelines focused on the more narrow rules for MA plans, he/she will not slip up whether selling Med/Sups or both. I think you will agree that if you relax your guard when marketing med sups and then have an occasion to present an MA plan, you will fall victim to your own neglect.

I worked in an industry for over 33 years dealing with strict government regs. My company had more restrictive rules than the government just so that we would not get in a bind with government compliance issues. I think that is a good strategy.

Kyle,

Since I have not seen a reproduction or explanation of what you put on your cards until your recent post, I only offered a broad warning. I did not critique your cards, because I had no idea what was on them. Thank you for your information. I hope the best for you!

I am just trying to warn everyone to look before they leap.

Kind of like what we have been trying to do with the UTC Lead thread where you said,

"Hey, Senior... pipe down a bit! I think Mary is offering her comments for discussion, not to be assasinated. As a matter of fact, I have been considering this product myself. There are some who think this is a smart way to cover the expense of the Medigap policy should they go into the hospital. Kinda like the duck says, " it pays you cash, which is just like money!"

Thank you for your warnings. It's good to look out for one another indeed.

Yes, I know. But it is all in the attitude expressed. I realize it is very difficult at times to convey an attitude of helpful concern without being taken as a overbearing critic, but there are times when it is obvious as the hands on a clock! I try to step back and view my posts so that I don't offend. If I have failed to do that, I apologize.

Back