Where to Find GROUP Leads for Health Insurance? (Aflac)

mfurlend

I have recently received my life/health insurance license and signed with Aflac. Basically the way we do business is not by seeking out individuals and trying to market to them, but by getting in touch with business owners and arranging an appointment to speak with their employees. So far, the only way I have to set these appointments is by cold-calling various companies and organizations.

My first day on the job, when I had just began to practice cold calling, I got super lucky and landed an interview with a 500 person group. However in the two weeks since then I have been having abysmal luck. I understand that its all a numbers game, and frankly I have no problem cold calling at all; but yesterday I called 230 businesses and was not able to set even one appointment.

I have been looking for more effective ways to set these appointments but found that most of the lead-generating services available only provide you with individual persons (or families) that are interested in major health insurance (not supplementary). What I need is a service that can provide me with interested businesses that I can convince into scheduling an appointment.

In the meanwhile, I dumped $100 bucks into insuranceagents.com, which is one of the many lead-generating sites. They have been sending me phone numbers of people in my area interested in major health. I did this because I figured that some of these individuals must already have major health with high deductibles and copayments that I could eliminate by signing them up with Aflac. I figured that if I could sell a policy to one of these individuals that I might be able to get an appointment with their employer as well. Unfortunately I have had no luck with this at all.

I have no problem cold calling people, and I am fairly sure that I am pretty good at it, but I could sure use some help starting up. Are there any services that provide business leads for supplementary insurance in NYC? Or is this too small of a niche? Is my only option (aside from cold-calling) to hire telemarketers? And if so, where should I turn for that and how much should it cost me? I am pretty broke at the moment but I will take a loan out if need be. I need to get this business of the ground.

I have recently received my life/health insurance license and signed with Aflac. Basically the way we do business is not by seeking out individuals and trying to market to them, but by getting in touch with business owners and arranging an appointment to speak with their employees. So far, the only way I have to set these appointments is by cold-calling various companies and organizations.

My first day on the job, when I had just began to practice cold calling, I got super lucky and landed an interview with a 500 person group. However in the two weeks since then I have been having abysmal luck. I understand that its all a numbers game, and frankly I have no problem cold calling at all; but yesterday I called 230 businesses and was not able to set even one appointment.

I have been looking for more effective ways to set these appointments but found that most of the lead-generating services available only provide you with individual persons (or families) that are interested in major health insurance (not supplementary). What I need is a service that can provide me with interested businesses that I can convince into scheduling an appointment.

In the meanwhile, I dumped $100 bucks into insuranceagents.com, which is one of the many lead-generating sites. They have been sending me phone numbers of people in my area interested in major health. I did this because I figured that some of these individuals must already have major health with high deductibles and copayments that I could eliminate by signing them up with Aflac. I figured that if I could sell a policy to one of these individuals that I might be able to get an appointment with their employer as well. Unfortunately I have had no luck with this at all.

I have no problem cold calling people, and I am fairly sure that I am pretty good at it, but I could sure use some help starting up. Are there any services that provide business leads for supplementary insurance in NYC? Or is this too small of a niche? Is my only option (aside from cold-calling) to hire telemarketers? And if so, where should I turn for that and how much should it cost me? I am pretty broke at the moment but I will take a loan out if need be. I need to get this business of the ground.

AFLAC offered me a job but I turned it down. Their approach in my area is to cold call businesses and when they get the gate keeper, they only try to get the name of the individual (owner, manager, hr, etc.) they really want to talk with, but they don't push to speak to that person on the phone. Instead, the drop by in person for an impromptu meeting. They say this works OK (though that comes from a recruiter, so take it with a grain of salt).

If it were me, I would probably subscribe to the Sec of State list on new Corporations, LLCs, and Trade Names. These would be new companies that haven't already been beat up by 10 other AFLAC agents. Just a thought.:1cool:

Leads Clearance will have some group supplemental leads sometimes. Its a la carte, so you can just go on the site, view what they have, and pick what you want.

Aflac is a tough way to make a living, the market in most areas is way oversaturated with agents, either current or former. There are a couple of threads on this forum about them. I would take the time to look over them if I where you.
I would also look at expanding your lines of business. Its nothing to contract with a health company or two. Try using your health leads for actual health insurance!!! Then cross sell aflac.

The best way to get into businesses is cold calling though ... especially with supplemental sales.

If you called over 200 businesses and didnt set one appointment you have some serious work to do on your phone prospecting skills.... what exactly are you saying on the phone? who are you speaking to?

If other agents in the office are successful with phone prospecting then watch them, or talk to them about what your doing and how to improve.
There are also some threads on phone prospecting on this forum.

Last edited:
Cool thanks for the info I appreciate it. I was told that the market saturation in NYC is very low, 4%. And I guarantee there is nothing wrong with my phone skills, its just that out of all those I spoke to only 15 or so owners. If I actually have a person fully hear me out then I have an OK chance of getting an appointment.

Here's an idea. I've lost contact now, but I knew an AFLAC agent a few years ago that was #1 in my state at the time. He got to this level within 1 1/2 years, it took him about 6 months to figure it out.

He started doing the Duck approach like everyone else with horrible results. Then he started thinking outside the box, he started showing companies how to save money on their group health plans and got the employer to fund a "benefit bank" for the employees to choose what ever plan they wanted from the AFLAC platform. $50 per month, $100 per month, $25 per month, the amount depended on the savings and employer generousity.

He got 100% enrollment on the "benefit bank" money, and many employees would buy-up from there or purchase life insurance from him outside of AFLAC. If I started as an AFLAC agent tomorrow, that is exactly what I would do. However, you couldn't pay me enough!

Good luck!

Cool thanks for the info I appreciate it. I was told that the market saturation in NYC is very low, 4%. And I guarantee there is nothing wrong with my phone skills, its just that out of all those I spoke to only 15 or so owners. If I actually have a person fully hear me out then I have an OK chance of getting an appointment.

Um...... what you where told and what reality is, is a whole different story.
This is coming from a former Aflac agent!!
Their accounts might only be 4% of the market, but that doesnt mean that their current/former/flunkie agents make up 4% of the markets agents!

And no offense, but if you called 200 businesses and only spoke to 15 owners, your phone skills definitely need some work!!!!
That is a terrible contact ratio!!! Just ask any experienced agent on this board.
Over 50% of my business comes from business owners, so believe me I know from experience.
Im not trying to be rude, just honest. Your phone skills are lacking.

I suppose AFLAC didn't bother to tell you that they are in tank mode. Lost 70k accounts in 2009 3rd qtr alone...including Walmart.

I did this because I figured that some of these individuals must already have major health with high deductibles and copayments that I could eliminate by signing them up with Aflac. I figured that if I could sell a policy to one of these individuals that I might be able to get an appointment with their employer as well. Unfortunately I have had no luck with this at all.

Be very careful with this and check the group health carriers rules in your state. Especially small group under 50.

In California, any direct reimbursement of costs under a deductible (except for employer's direct funding of an employee's HSA account or use of an approved EPO/HRA plan) is strictly prohibited. Wrapping is also strictly prohibited. Groups who engage in this activity can have their group health coverage terminated.

Be very careful with this and check the group health carriers rules in your state. Especially small group under 50.

In California, any direct reimbursement of costs under a deductible (except for employer's direct funding of an employee's HSA account or use of an approved EPO/HRA plan) is strictly prohibited. Wrapping is also strictly prohibited. Groups who engage in this activity can have their group health coverage terminated.

I don't know CA HI laws, but last time I checked aflac was approved in CA. Most all aflac products benefits are direct payments to the insured, they are not considered a reimbursment, and they do not coordinate with health plans. So they are totally kosher to layer on top of existing benefits, usually, because they do not coordinate.

Back