Avoiding the Long Pre-licensing Course in NY

I apologize if I wasn't clear. It is likely that I will set up a part time office in New Jersey in the near future either way. So this isn't as unnecessary of a hassle as it sounds.

You don't get it boss. It doesn't matter where you'll be doing business, it matters where you live. You have to be licensed in your home state which is where your home is. You can't get licensed in NJ just because it's easier.

Let me put this to you another way:

If you're going to live in NY and want to sell insurance, you are subject to NY laws and have to get a NY license. If you want to move to NJ then fine, but you're going to have to get a NY license if you live in NY.

I apologize if I wasn't clear. It is likely that I will set up a part time office in New Jersey in the near future either way. So this isn't as unnecessary of a hassle as it sounds.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As someone who has done exactly what you are looking to do... I would say it's totally worth it. I used CT not NJ, but it should work the same way.

I cannot say how it will work if I switch my residence state back to NY, as I really haven't bothered. My primary is CT with NY license received by reciprocity.

NY needs to get with the rest of the states and allow online courses / condensed courses.

Another employee in my office recently did the same thing, but struggled with the online course, so they took an ADBanker classroom course. CT classroom course was 2 full days, and they passed the P&C test 1st try.

IF you have or plan to have a legit agency in NJ go for it. Don't play games if it's not legit, but honestly it doesn't matter which state is your "residence state."

I only want to work part time, so I only need part of the training...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As someone who has done exactly what you are looking to do... I would say it's totally worth it. I used CT not NJ, but it should work the same way.

I cannot say how it will work if I switch my residence state back to NY, as I really haven't bothered. My primary is CT with NY license received by reciprocity.

NY needs to get with the rest of the states and allow online courses / condensed courses.

Another employee in my office recently did the same thing, but struggled with the online course, so they took an ADBanker classroom course. CT classroom course was 2 full days, and they passed the P&C test 1st try.

IF you have or plan to have a legit agency in NJ go for it. Don't play games if it's not legit, but honestly it doesn't matter which state is your "residence state."

Rob,

Thanks for your post. I was starting to feel like bait for the newbie sharks.

What do you mean "IF you plan to have a legit agency in NJ"?

I plan on selling to NJ residents (but primarily NY). I can have an office set up there which I will visit on occasion (have a relative who will give me space in his office) but I will be mostly based out of NY.

What exactly did you do? Did you pick up and move to CT just for the licensing advantage?

Rob,

Thanks for your post. I was starting to feel like bait for the newbie sharks.

You're getting bad advice that is most likely illegal. Just because you don't like being told what you intend to do is likely breaking several laws, doesn't change the fact that it's probably true. You need to get your *resident* license which is where you reside. Look up the basic requirements, you have to actually be a *resident* of the state you intend to get your producer license in, not just an occasional passerby.

What you're talking about is fraud. Simply using an address in NJ is not enough. Less you think you're simply being picked on, here is the application: http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/insliced/indprodinitialapp.pdf

Your resident state is where you sleep at night and where you have your drivers license, etc. If you live in NY, that's your resident state. To get a non-resident license, you have to have a resident license in good standing in your home state (in your case NY). For you to lie on an application for a NJ license because you want to skirt a licensing requirement is fraud.

If you're really this fully committed to a bad idea, why don't you call up the NJ DOI and ask them what they think about your idea and if they'll issue the license under your plan. Put me down for $20 on them saying absolutely not.

If you want to get in this business, then you have to play by the same rules everyone else does.

+1 to all others.

Invest the time and do it right.

Yes, an online class may be more convenient, but an in person class.... you will absolutely get a better learning experience, on top of networking and meeting many new people.

99 hours of class isn't that bad, is there a reason why you want to skip and take a shortcut?

In the insurance business, there are no shortcuts, you gotta work really hard and build up your book, no one is going to just give you a book of businesses. if you're already feeling like you want to take a shortcut to get licensed to do business, the insurance industry might not be for you.

This is my opinion only.

The classes are just one of the costs of going into the business. Playing with the residence thing could be something that comes back to bite you.

Easy Killers.... What I am talking about is completely legal. Checked with both NY and CT Dept of Insurance. As long as my agency has a location in either state I can choose either state as my primary license.

Since my agency has mostly CT clients, and the course was quicker to get, it made sense to just take that course and than get the NY license after.

It is not at least in NY & CT where you sleep, that causes a primary license. It's where you do business.

Check with you dept of insurance for sure. But you should be fine as long as you have an office with company appointments e&o etc... in the NJ.

legalities aside, there is a reason why that licensing takes so damn long. NY is a really messed up state- no fault accidents for policies, fraud all over the place, having to go through the ringer when making endorsements to change cars, and all kinds of other BS. Some of it is the insurance company itself but a lot of it is the law in the area. Commercial is probably even worse. NY is a rough state (like MA or some other places) to learn insurance and if NY is requiring 99 hours then there is probably a reason why it is 2.5x longer than many other states.

You might sell in NJ but you sell in NY, too. Go do the training for both states because you would be amazed on how different things can be from one state to another. SC has electronic record filing at the DMV while NC does not, for example, and the coverages are LOADS different, as well as the reinsurance facility in NC. Those are 2 bordering states. You want to go do this right, DO IT RIGHT. Otherwise you won't have to worry about a 2-3,000 fine from the state when you have a 20-30,000 E&O claim because you didn't want to take a few extra hours.

Besides, this is going to be your career right? What are you doing in the meantime that you can't take 3 weeks of training for you CAREER? Did you spend 1-4 years in college? Well spend a few more weeks...

Back