Considering a Move to L.A., CA Reqs for P&C Agent License???

I've been licensed in Georgia as a Property & Casualty Agent/Producer for Personal and Commercial Lines for several years. I am considering a move to the Los Angeles area at the end of the year- sort of a 'new start' or at least a trial run, since my cousin lives there and I'll be living with her and her familly until I find a job and commit to staying in California.

My Georgia license actually reads-

Resident Agent
Agent- Casualty
Agent- Property

In Georgia, you can't simply be licensed for Property or for Casualty individually, they're always combined even though they're listed separately. The P&C license is valid for Personal and Commercial Lines. It requires 40 hours or pre-licensing course study prior to takign the exam. Not to brag, but the pass rate on the first exam attempt is less than 12%, but I did it! =)

Looking at the CA Dept of Insurance website, here's how I am understanding the requirements-
Property Broker-Agent & Casualty Broker-Agent- 40hrs Gen P&C+ 12hrs Ethics & CA Ins Code Ed

But here's where it gets confusing-

There's a Commercial Insurance "upgade" to the P&C Agent-Broker above that requires another 20 hrs of Gen Ins Ed
***Based on that, I would infer that withot the Commercial 'upgrade' the P&C license is only valid for Personal Lines, correct?

BUT there is also a Personal Lines Broker-Agent licnese that only requires 20hrs Gen Ins Ed + 12hs Ethics/CA Code?

What is the difference between the Personal Lines Broker-Agent AND the Property Broker-Agent + Casualty Broker-Agent license???

If I'm only interested in selling Personal Lines (Auto, Homeowner, Renters, Landlord's (Dwelling Fire) would the Personal Lines Broker-Agent be the way to go? Just 20+12 hours of course study?

Also, what about Earthquake coverage, if you're licensed to sell Homeonwners are you also able to sell Earthquake? For instance, when I became licensed for P&C in Georgia, I could sell Homeowners insurance plus it also gave me legal authority to sell Flood Insurance....

And another BIG question- Can anyone recommend any books, websites or other source to learn about California Insurance Code and Law?

Any info or guidance will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

I've been licensed in Georgia as a Property & Casualty Agent/Producer for Personal and Commercial Lines for several years. I am considering a move to the Los Angeles area at the end of the year- sort of a 'new start' or at least a trial run, since my cousin lives there and I'll be living with her and her familly until I find a job and commit to staying in California.

My Georgia license actually reads-

Resident Agent
Agent- Casualty
Agent- Property

In Georgia, you can't simply be licensed for Property or for Casualty individually, they're always combined even though they're listed separately. The P&C license is valid for Personal and Commercial Lines. It requires 40 hours or pre-licensing course study prior to takign the exam. Not to brag, but the pass rate on the first exam attempt is less than 12%, but I did it! =)

Looking at the CA Dept of Insurance website, here's how I am understanding the requirements-
Property Broker-Agent & Casualty Broker-Agent- 40hrs Gen P&C+ 12hrs Ethics & CA Ins Code Ed

But here's where it gets confusing-

There's a Commercial Insurance "upgade" to the P&C Agent-Broker above that requires another 20 hrs of Gen Ins Ed
***Based on that, I would infer that withot the Commercial 'upgrade' the P&C license is only valid for Personal Lines, correct?

BUT there is also a Personal Lines Broker-Agent licnese that only requires 20hrs Gen Ins Ed + 12hs Ethics/CA Code?

What is the difference between the Personal Lines Broker-Agent AND the Property Broker-Agent + Casualty Broker-Agent license???

If I'm only interested in selling Personal Lines (Auto, Homeowner, Renters, Landlord's (Dwelling Fire) would the Personal Lines Broker-Agent be the way to go? Just 20+12 hours of course study?

Also, what about Earthquake coverage, if you're licensed to sell Homeonwners are you also able to sell Earthquake? For instance, when I became licensed for P&C in Georgia, I could sell Homeowners insurance plus it also gave me legal authority to sell Flood Insurance....

And another BIG question- Can anyone recommend any books, websites or other source to learn about California Insurance Code and Law?

Any info or guidance will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

You might want to drop you Georgia Lics and just get the CA license without taking the exam and once you get the CA licesne you can do a Georgia non- residence Lics without taking the exam as well. Call and check.:biggrin:

Call the CA DOI and check with them but you will have to take the ethics when you transfer. You can take that online. If you feel up to it, it might be a good idea to take the Life test in GA and transfer that also. If you don't get appointed with a life carrier you can just be inactive.

Before you call the CA DOI write down the questions you have that way you won't have to call back.

Latest posts

Back