Getting a License with a Misdemeanor

usod

I am looking to obtain a life and health insurance license. I have a misdemeanor for possession of THC that I pleaded no contest in 2009. Does anyone know if this will be a problem to get a contract with insurance companies?

If you are in California you can forget about getting a license. I had some misdemeanors from 2001, 1997, 1992 and 1989, none of which were related to anything financial. I got my life back together, volunteered in groups to help others, got married and had a boy. Studied and passed the Life Agent exam. Fully disclosed the misdemeanors.

The California Dept. of Insurance flipped out over the misdemeanors, sent my application through the CDI Legal Department, delayed my app for a year. Finally I withdrew the application.

That was in 2004; I waited and in 2011 I re-studied, re-passed the exam, and the exact same thing happened again. I just withdrew my app on February 4.

CDI looks over the four corners of the Earth for arrests etc. but does zero due diligence for any other factors. They had (and have) no idea of my other activities and apparently don't care.

One irony is that I have been working for three years for a leading professional investigative firm, and I think I have an idea of what a thorough investigation is like.

I hope for your sake that your experience is different from mine.

If you are in California you can forget about getting a license. I had some misdemeanors from 2001, 1997, 1992 and 1989, none of which were related to anything financial. I got my life back together, volunteered in groups to help others, got married and had a boy. Studied and passed the Life Agent exam. Fully disclosed the misdemeanors.

The California Dept. of Insurance flipped out over the misdemeanors, sent my application through the CDI Legal Department, delayed my app for a year. Finally I withdrew the application.

That was in 2004; I waited and in 2011 I re-studied, re-passed the exam, and the exact same thing happened again. I just withdrew my app on February 4.

CDI looks over the four corners of the Earth for arrests etc. but does zero due diligence for any other factors. They had (and have) no idea of my other activities and apparently don't care.

One irony is that I have been working for three years for a leading professional investigative firm, and I think I have an idea of what a thorough investigation is like.

I hope for your sake that your experience is different from mine.

What was the offense?

Why not just request a hearing and explain the history and where you are now. Worse they can say is no again but they just might let you have a license for a trial period. Who knows?

Just be truthful on the application. I had 1 misdemeanor and was severly behind on child support where I had my drivers license suspended. Even owed the IRS a pretty penny in back taxes but I explained it all. I did have to jump thru a few hoops and provide alot of documentation but in the end, it was worth it. That was about 1.5 yrs ago.

If you are in California you can forget about getting a license. I had some misdemeanors from 2001, 1997, 1992 and 1989, none of which were related to anything financial.

They look for "crimes of moral turpitude" and violent crimes. Federal law does not allow violent offenders in the financial industry.

"Moral turpitude" includes most financial crimes but the scope is broader.

Some things will follow you for the rest of your life...

I know this is an old thread but I live in CA and want to chime in for fellow CA residents that are concerned about background issues. First off, I was licensed in CA back in 2012 with two prior misdemeanor convictions (a DUI in 2007 followed by reckless driving in 2009). The second conviction I expunged after I completed summary probation, however, I still had to disclose the expunged conviction per Penal Code Section 1203.4. I was granted my licenses after a slight delay due to an investigation (took 2 or 3 weeks longer than usual it seemed compared to other new agents I spoke to). Nonetheless, I was granted my licenses.

THEN... (I feel terrible about this) I picked up a second DUI in 2014, plead guilty, and was positive I would not be able to renew my licenses at that point. My insurance licenses expired Dec. 31, 2014. I had completed my continuing education prior to then, but I still had not paid my renewal fees (you actually have 1 year to pay so long as you pay the late fee). Long story short, another out of state agent convinced me to just submit the renewal application and low and behold it was approved within 2 days. So, in response to the earlier post which says something along the lines of "forget applying if you are in CA and have misdemeanors" - I'm living proof of someone who had 3 non-violent/non-theft or fraud misdemeanors; 1 picked up while actively licensed and I'm still able to go about being an agent. Something that's very important is YOU HAVE TO BE HONEST anytime you undergo a background check. The rest is on what the DOI and contracting agency you produce with thinks of you.

Back