Going to Take My Prelicensing Exam/class

Hello everyone,
My name is Benjamin and I am a newbie to the forum here. I am very very new to the insurance game but have a chance to get involved so I am taking the first step. I will be an agent in Chicago,Il and the greater area once I pass all the exams. I am a young guy(27) and a soon to be first time father. I am looking for any advice that can give be a heads up about what I am stepping into. I do have a mentor that will be coaching me.
By the way I will be selling different forms of life insurance. As of right now this is all I know.
Blessings,
Benjamin
:idea:enlighten me please

You are stepping into the hardest insurance sales job of them all but maybe it's your only hope if you need to make money in a hurry. The other forms of insurance sales are more heavily based on residuals rather than first-year commissions.

If you learn the secret of how to cross-sell life to P&C customers please let me in on it as my survival could depend on that knowledge.

Last edited:
Jeff,
I think my mentor wants to start me in life then teach me the others. My goal is to have multiple residual incomes... Down the road I will be considering Real Estate too. What are some other forms you feel a good.

Spend all of your time prospecting. Let your mentor close the cases. You'll learn faster and make more money is the process. I do not know what your commission arrangement is but remember that 50% of $$$$$ is better than 100% of $0.00.

Good luck on your test ... I'm in Texas, and the test is pretty hard for newbies. Study hard! The insurance business is very good for people who are willing to work hard. It ain't easy, but it is worth it! We sell health, life, and accident.

Regarding multiple choice questions, if you are unsure of the answer, look for the one that has nothing in common with the other three. If that still doesn't get it, pick C and there's a better than even chance you'll get it right.

In sales, it's all about features and their benefits. I memorize a lot of the brochure - think of yourself as an actor with a script to learn. Never make the mistake of deviating from the script. Make sure they get the facts that are needed along with some stories. Facts tell and stories sell. An educated consumer is the best customer.

Back