Help Getting Experience and Knowledge to Obtain License

lot2learn

I am planning on becoming an excess surplus licensed agent and it seems like it is going to take some time now that im learning about the process. I have a few interesting questions that are blocking my plans to do that in a short time.
Here are two of the requirements I am having trouble with in order to receive a license:
"Possess sufficient knowledge and experience in placing insurance with licensedinsurers to determine the eligibility of insurance for procurement of an
unauthorized insurer."
and
"Possess sufficient knowledge and experience in the field of insurance to collect and analyze financial and other data to determine the eligibility of an unauthorized insurer as a surplus lines insurer."
-
My question is How can I earn some knowledge and experience without a license, I doubt any insurance company or agency will hire me without a license or experience? I appreciate any ideas or any type of help.

That's called a "Catch-22." Sorta like, which came first the egg or the chicken. I am sorry, but I don't ave any ideas as to what to do about this situation. Hopefully there is a forum member who can advise you.

That is where I would like to start in a very acute field.

I understand that... but if you are asking for advice on how to get licensed then it is highly unlikely you are ready to jump into the E&S side of the business. Most E&S brokers migrated to that side of the business after 10+ years on the retail side of with stanard admitted carriers. E&S policies are much more complicated than standard ISO and BOP forms... which is why people rarely start their insurance careers in surples lines. Successful SL brokers have the knowledge and contacts that are usually gained after 10+ years in the industry. I am not trying to discourage you, just letting you know why you are running into difficulties.

I don't know much about surplus lines of insurance but can't you just go to your state's insurance division website and look up a seminar to attend? Or maybe google "continuing education surplus lines + (your state)?

Back