How To Pass the Life, Accident and Health Insurance Exam ?

I don't know how it works in NJ but in NC you have to get a certificate for passing a class certifying that you took 40 hours for the life and health exam. If that isn't the case in NJ then sure. But if it is, then the book is a good review but you need to take a certified class or at-home certified correspondence.

Im really not sure but Ill check with DOBI it should be up there somewhere.

Hi folks,

I just wanted to give my two cents worth on how I passed the L&H Exam the first time.

First of all I want to say thank you for this forum. It's been quite enlightening.

On July 23, 2011, I registered for my insurance class with Kaplan. I didn't have a whole lot of money, so instead of choosing to do the class in a classroom, I registered for the online class. They have a fantastic and very thorough online program. There is ALOT of reading.

I read through the whole program the first time through. I didn't necessarily concentrate on sections. I just read and read and read till I completed my first read through.

Then I watched the videos they offered about the different type s of insurance out there. I also listened to the audios they had.

Then I read through the entire Reading section again. This time I could conceptualize further what they were talking about.

After completing the Read-thru again, I started taking the practice tests. I took at least 3 tests a day.

I carried the mentality that I was going to take the next test beating the score of my previous test, competing against myself. With each test I took, I read the comments that were given for each wrong answer that I had. I probably took a total of 50 practice tests. This comprised a month of studying total.

Once I felt that I was averaging a passing grade ( I wanted to make in the 80s of better) I braved the course test. I passed with a 92.

I scheduled my Exam through Pearson Vue for 8 days later, so I continued my practice tests until 3 days before. Then I rested. I also prayed throughout this time.

I passed on first go round (Sept 3, 2011). I was so pleased with myself. Quite an accomplishment for me.

This process takes DISCIPLINE! You have to WANT IT that bad. But you can do it.

I hope this encourages and helps others out there.

Zeo

I failed the test the first time (by one pt...), and then passed on the second. What worked for me was going over my notes and not really focusing on the practice online tests. IMHO, they weren't worth it...I aced them every time, but failed the real test...seriously??? I wish I would not have paid more for the online testing....

It was really overwhelming for me since I had no experience in the industry. So I just went back to basics for test #2...understanding term/whole/universal, etc, vs trying to just take practice tests. The questions were all different the second time (2 weeks later) so don't focus on the test so much as getting the basics. And read the questions really well. It's all a tricky word test if you know your stuff. Take your time, they give you plenty. Hope this helps! I only wish they told you your score when you do pass.

I failed the test the first time (by one pt...), and then passed on the second. What worked for me was going over my notes and not really focusing on the practice online tests. IMHO, they weren't worth it...I aced them every time, but failed the real test...seriously??? I wish I would not have paid more for the online testing....

It was really overwhelming for me since I had no experience in the industry. So I just went back to basics for test #2...understanding term/whole/universal, etc, vs trying to just take practice tests. The questions were all different the second time (2 weeks later) so don't focus on the test so much as getting the basics. And read the questions really well. It's all a tricky word test if you know your stuff. Take your time, they give you plenty. Hope this helps! I only wish they told you your score when you do pass.

Allison which company did you go with to provide you online service...

Sorry, I think that my comments were a little misleading. I took the pre-licensing course in person with a company called Pat Scanlan here in Atlanta. They offered an online tool for an additional cost where you could take sample tests and go over study questions.

It's true that the test questions are different than the test. The key I believe is understanding the principles when reviewing the explanations of the wrong answers. And YES, watch the key words, NOT, EXCEPT, and etc... They are huge key to your success.

I too was disappointed that they didn't reveal the score when passing. They said they only reveal it if you fail.
DRATS!

I will take the test in the next few days. I took an online course and have passed the practice exams with high scores. I have been trying not to over study, but some of the posts have me concerned.

Well I went and took the Missouri Health test this morning at 8am and PASSED!!
The test itself was not all that bad there were defiantly things I would not have recognized if it not been for A.D Bankers instruction.
80% of the test was about provisions and there were even about 6 or so questions about life. The main thing you might want to look at is know the numbers and time limits.
I studied the numbers as 15,30,60 and 90 and so on but on the test it kinda tripped me up when they were listed as fifteen,thirty,sixty and ninety. Just a little thing I had not trained myself to look for and readily recognize.

I took the test Monday and easily passed. The exam questions mostly were exactly like the practice exams I had. I was definitely smiling through the exam since only 4 questions were unfamiliar. I only missed two questions! Now, just waiting for my license number to show up on the DOI website.

@sdmillar: Thanks for the support. Unfortunately, I am unable to send any PMs. I will be semi-captive. I will be focusing on my companies products, but the office has a GA agreement
so that I can place clients if they don't met the underwriting guidelines. Also, it's encouraged to
get placed with health insurance companies since the company doesn't sell health.

Last edited:
Back