How To Pass the Life, Accident and Health Insurance Exam ?

The difference between selling tangible and intangible products is no greater than the difference between selling life and selling p & c. (I'm a life guy, by the way)

Sure the technicalities are different, but the root skill is the same. Think about it this way: You can be the most knowledgable person in the world about human anatomy. You can have watched a thousand operations. But if you don't have a steady hand, you can't be a surgeon. Maybe ...MAYBE... you can practice and make your hand slightly more steady, but if you're a shaker you're a shaker and you're never gonna be a surgeon.

If you don't have the sales gene, you don't have it.

I completely disagree that the basics of P&C and Life are similiar. Life requires Much MUCH more showmanship. Here's my favorite trick with life. I bring in a loaf of bread, a pair of baby shoes and a picture of a house. after getting to know the people for about 5 mins, I set up the three items on the table and say the following:

"Mr Prospect, you work to put food on the table, a roof over your head and shoes on your families feet. What would they do if you're gone?"

The look is amazing....

Along with P&C I've dealt with the most boring agents and bought from them because I had to. Not wanted to.

I completely disagree that the basics of P&C and Life are similiar. Life requires Much MUCH more showmanship. Here's my favorite trick with life. I bring in a loaf of bread, a pair of baby shoes and a picture of a house. after getting to know the people for about 5 mins, I set up the three items on the table and say the following:

"Mr Prospect, you work to put food on the table, a roof over your head and shoes on your families feet. What would they do if you're gone?"

The look is amazing....

Along with P&C I've dealt with the most boring agents and bought from them because I had to. Not wanted to.

1) Can I keep the bread and is it fresh. I only eat light-bread or multi-grain.
2) What type of shoes. I only wear Cole Haan and Moreschi.....
3) Picture better be in color and framed....

I like your method....

It seems to me that the real trick to making it work in the insurance biz is not actually knowing everything, but knowing more than your client-- or making them think you know more. That's basically what sales are all about, regardless of what product your selling. I think you can apply the same principal to taking the test... i.e. don't second guess yourself. You'd be surprised how much you really retain from study when you don't stress yourself out. Stay calm and go with your gut, that's what I do and look how cool I am. ;)

It seems to me that the real trick to making it work in the insurance biz is not actually knowing everything, but knowing more than your client-- or making them think you know more. That's basically what sales are all about, regardless of what product your selling. ;)

I'm not sure I would agree with you. It's really not hard to know more than the prospect. Maybe if all you are trying to do is sell an insurance policy that may be true.

However, if you are really going to help them make a well informed, intelligent decision about getting the policy that is the best investment of their premium dollar, I think you need to know everything there is about what you are selling. Also what your competition is selling.

If you truly help someone get the very best policy they will not only thank you and keep it, they will tell everyone they know about "their insurance agent".

Pay for practice exams. The company giving you the exam probably offers practice exams for a fee. Buy lots of the those exams.

Try www.Promissor.Com. They do the exam testing in Washington state and provide practice exams for a fee.

I just passed my (Life/Disab) exams and the questions can be tricky.

if your company is paying check out Compu Cram for Life And Health, it's about $80 but the way it helps you review is well worth it, just my 2 cents.
Good luck on the test.

For what its worth, STUDY, STUDY, AND STUDY. I passed every one of my license exams (Life, Health, & Accident, Series 6, 63, 65, and 7) all on the first pop. Why? Because I studied my butt off. I scored a 93 on my Life exam.

I'm not sure I would agree with you. It's really not hard to know more than the prospect. Maybe if all you are trying to do is sell an insurance policy that may be true.

However, if you are really going to help them make a well informed, intelligent decision about getting the policy that is the best investment of their premium dollar, I think you need to know everything there is about what you are selling. Also what your competition is selling.

If you truly help someone get the very best policy they will not only thank you and keep it, they will tell everyone they know about "their insurance agent".

Agreed. I want all of my clients to talk about me as being the health insurance expert/successful small business owner. Ideally, I hope to keep the majority of my clients for life because I LOVE the small business market.........and true entrepreneurs persevere whereas others give up and fall, but don't get back up. I really don't want a client who tells me they only plan in being in business a year or two.

You can be a great salesman and make some very nice money without an extensive knowledge of a product or the market, but where is the fun in that!

Latest posts

Back