How To Pass the Life, Accident and Health Insurance Exam ?

Re: How To Pass the Life, Accident and Health Insurance Exam

I used examfx and passed the 6, 63 & 65 on the first try. I used their earlier versions for the Life, Health, Property and Casualty which were books and practice test CD's and passed the first time. Some people don't absorb the same way as others. I probably never spent more than 8 total study hours spread out over 2 or 3 days on any one test, but always timed the study so it was just before the test so the info was fresh in my mind.

As I said before, I skimmed the reading material and then started taking the practice tests over and over again until I had an average grade over 70pct. Average, which means I raised my first failing attempt up with much higher scores. I also used the book to look up answers as I tested, which forced me to read and study the material in a more meaningful way.

To each their own, but studying for weeks sure sounds like a waste of time to me. The object is to pass the test. If you want to really learn the business you have to get the license and then learn it situationally and in real life by doing it and researching continually to learn the nuances of everything you sell.

I had to take the exam twice. The first time around I failed the test by 1 question. Because I underestimated what would be on the exam. Three words..... "STUDY STUDY STUDY"

I spent hours in the library to eliminate any distractions. There is alot of information to retain and you must take in all in. But if you read it over and over again then you should pass. I read the book at least 3 times and used flash cards for some of the terminology.

Good luck

i took the course on exam fx and got the certificate then i printed the study material out and read it over a few times then took the test and passed

I found this old post and am posting for future newbies looking for advice and help like I was.

I passed the first time 89% Wooooooooooooooooo!

The test is HARD and it is TRICKY! Read the questions and flag the ones that you are not sure of and Re-read them again.

My best advice to anyone is to print out the Examination Content Outline for your specific test and KNOW everything on it!

The test follows a specific outline and the exact % of the test that each section counts for is listed on the outline.

Outlines are listed in the front of the Florida Life Health and Variable Annuity Study Manual that is put out by the Florida Department of Financial Services. Since my test was the 2-15 exam for Life (including Variable Annuity) and Health Insurance. I found the exact Exam Content Outline on the Pierson view testing website. Pierson view does the testing for Florida.

It was such a #%*&*&$ of a test that I resolved (while taking it) that if I didn't pass that I would choose another career. These people that say they studied for 2 weeks and passed are a heck of a lot smarter (or more experienced) than me! I knew absolutely nothing about anything to do with insurance and studied for a solid month just to read the book and answer all the questions on the content outline.

The one thing missing from this thread is....an actual answer to the original question!

"How to pass the L, A and HI exam" is knowing how to retain information, how memory works, and how to study properly.

Here is a crash course:

Learn about "Multiple Intelligences" and then take the test to find out your strengths. There are plenty of them on the net. Google is your friend.

Next, discover how you best receive information. Do you hear something and remember it forever? See something and remember it forever? Need to walk around and 'act out the information'?

Also, learn about Mind Maps, created by Tony Buzan. Great tool for learning.

Link Method
This is an advanced memory technique. I’ve found it works surprisingly well, but it takes longer to set up and requires practice if you want to do it quickly. The basic idea is that you link two ideas together by forming a bizarre picture that involves both of them.
If I wanted to memorize a grocery list that had apples, milk and beans, my goal would be to create two images that linked apples to milk and milk to beans. The first could be a picture of a giant apple milking a cow. The second could be a milk container that poured baked beans.

Peg Method

A variation of the link method, this one helps you memorize numbers. Instead of linking two pictures together, you use a system of phonetics to remember all the digits. From that you create short words and sentences to encode numbers. A Google search should give more depth if you’re interested.

Last edited:
hastur, you scare me!
Hope to get to know you better!
Can I have $10. worth of what you're on?:goofy: I'll try it on the dog to see how he reacts.
:D

I answered the original question = know what's on the test and study it. I thought I was clear!

... and it is TRICKY!

That is an understatement.

Although I can only speak for the test given in Missouri, it is more tricky than it is difficult.

Each question is designed so if you read it quickly you will automatically come up with what seems like the correct answer. I can almost guarantee that it will be the wrong answer.

Most agents I know who didn't pass it the first time was because they rushed through it and and didn't read each question very carefully.

Read the question, then read it again word for word, literally, then read it one more time. I think you will find that the first answer you selected will not be the ultimate answer you select.

When you take the test take your time. There is no prize for being the fastest person who has ever taken it.

I will second what Frank said on the Missouri test. I'm pretty sure it's been a while since Frank took the test, but, not much has changed. I took it in August and I would say that at least 80% of the questions had two of the four answers that could be correct. Some of the questions I had to read more than twice and it was usually one or two words in the question that led me to the correct answer.

Besides that. Study, Study, Study and take the practice tests, over and over and over until you are about sick of them.

hastur, you scare me!
Hope to get to know you better!
Can I have $10. worth of what you're on?:goofy: I'll try it on the dog to see how he reacts.
:D

I answered the original question = know what's on the test and study it. I thought I was clear!
"Study", unfortunately, isn't clear. I wish it was. There aren't many people that actually know how to study. The school system in America doesn't teach children how to learn. Most people go through life thinking rote memorization is the only way to retain information. :swoon:

Quantum Memory by Dominic O'Brien is a great Audiobook on learning specific number chains, peoples names, etc...

Also, these books:

The Photographic Mind by Dane Spotts
The Einstein Factor by Win Wenger
Accelerated learning for the 21st century by Colin Rose

P.S. - Regarding what I'm on: Sorry, all out!;)

I live in PA and just took the exam today for Life and Health and passed the first time. I studied for about 2 weeks consitently. I also used the Kaplan workbook, regular book, and the CD Rom that came with it. I took the 3 day in class course for the pre lic credits and it did nothing for me. I think what really helped me prepare for the test (other than pure memorization) was taking ever single practice exam in the material and on the cd-rom and reading the rationale if I got it wrong.. I mean every question! I did this over and over again. I found that most of the questions in the study material were harder than those on the test and some were very similar to the ones on the state test. Some tips that I can offer are:

First, and very important, print out the exam content outline from your state insurance department website. concentrate on studying the areas that have the greatest percentage of questions.

Take all the practice tests in the book and cdrom, as many as you can get your hands on.

Read the rationale if you got the answer wrong

Make charts comparing the life products and memorize it...

Make sure you are very knowlegable with your states regulations, especially time frames. 30 days. 60 days. etc
especially the powers of the commissioner and criminal laws.

STUDY an KNOW the Insurance for Seniors! especially memorize medicare parts A-D and what benefits they offer. There are many questions on Long Term care also.. such as respite care.

Each question on the state followed a pattern, two of the four possible answers do not fit at all, leaving two possible correct answers. Make sure to read the question carefully and slowly and use a process of elimination approach when choosing your answer. VERY IMPORTANT..

Finally, Use the whole allotted time for the test, if you rush you will probably fail. The more questions you answer the better chance you have of passing..

Good Luck:biggrin:

Back