Kaplan Vs. ExamFx Vs. AD Banker?

Re:what I might be getting at.

I have not yet learned anything about the costs, locations, content, time duration and frequency of the exams.

I did purchase an ExamFX life and health book (and also a prop and casualty book because the seller would not "break the set") at an online auction. The book has a 2013 copyright, but the seller said he had purchased it 3 months ago and then changed his career plans.

I am in a position of basically knowing nothing, I wanted paper in my hand vs being hooked to a computer terminal at this point. I was just trying to get a sense of how complete or incomplete my knowledge would be -- in relation to the test -- after I wade through it. I don't care about 100%-I am not of the intellect, memory, or test taking skills to be a 100%er; I just want to pass and be on the front end of holding a life and health license for a couple of years to then evaluate subsequent steps.

(I dont remember his exact words, so I will use the word register, the seller indicated he had registered the P&C book, but had done absolutely nothing with the Life and Health book-if that makes any difference in your response.)

At any rate, that's what was behind my question.

Last edited:

I have not yet learned anything about the costs, locations, content, time duration and frequency of the exams.

I did purchase an ExamFX life and health book (and also a prop and casualty book because the seller would not "break the set") at an online auction. The book has a 2013 copyright, but the seller said he had purchased it 3 months ago and then changed his career plans.

I am in a position of basically knowing nothing, I wanted paper in my hand vs being hooked to a computer terminal at this point. I was just trying to get a sense of how complete or incomplete my knowledge would be -- in relation to the test -- after I wade through it. I don't care about 100%-I am not of the intellect, memory, or test taking skills to be a 100%er; I just want to pass and be on the front end of holding a life and health license for a couple of years to then evaluate subsequent steps.

(I dont remember his exact words, so I will use the word register, the seller indicated he had registered the P&C book, but had done absolutely nothing with the Life and Health book-if that makes any difference in your response.)

Go get em' LD!:yes:

ExamFX updates their material every year, and the online portion would be the most updated, but you do not have access because he registered the code. If it is a 2013 book, I'd be concerned about a good deal of missing content, however, I specialize in L&H, not your concern here, P&C is.

L&H changes frequently especially since PPACA, but I do not know how often or how much the P&C test changes year to year.
The seller was less than honest with you. For example, the L&H is paired with the P&C, it's not a "Set" as he said.

If anyone in here does P&C with ExFX please offer feedback on the changes on any given year?

If you tell me what state, I can link you to the P&C student handbook from the state that shows the topics they test on and you can cross reference your book and see if there is a great disparity?

----------

Go get em' LD!:yes:
We're we fighting? I didn't realize. sorry if I offended you LD.

-------> deadslash
Thanks for the reply.

No fight. g----52 is encouraging me to continue the licensing process. It is primarily because of him that I have even decided to attempt the exam. (I came to the site (age 72) looking for info on a Medigap supplement-and one thing has lead to another. This whole situation is so odd to me that I think if I get a license, a way to use it may show up out of the blue in a few months.)

And-I should not even have mentioned the p&c book right now. My first and primary interest is in the life and health side to start with. Right now whatever I read is new info. If I can get my head around the foundation material, then I can deal later with changing fine points, either w examFX or someone else. (Kansas)

Is the online access limited in time? ie if I used the codes in the book to see if I can use them-and gain access-does that access then expire in 2-3 months?

And thanks again for the response-I know I switched directions of the information flow from what you wanted when you started the thread.

LD

Last edited:
-------> deadslash
Thanks for the reply.

No fight. g----52 is encouraging me to continue the licensing process. It is primarily because of him that I have even decided to attempt the exam. (I came to the site (age 72) looking for info on a Medigap supplement-and one thing has lead to another. This whole situation is so odd to me that I think if I get a license, a way to use it may show up out of the blue in a few months.)

And-I should not even have mentioned the p&c book right now. My first and primary interest is in the life and health side to start with. Right now whatever I read is new info. If I can get my head around the foundation material, then I can deal later with changing fine points, either w examFX or someone else. (Kansas)

Is the online access limited in time? ie if I used the codes in the book to see if I can use them-and gain access-does that access then expire in 2-3 months?

And thanks again for the response-I know I switched directions of the information flow from what you wanted when you started the thread.

LD

No, it's not that off topic, we are talking about the teaching materials, and it was a deadish thread... so it isn't like you killed it, you kind of revived it. ;) I got mixed up, if you have a book on L&H from 2013, it's very outdated. If it was a state we operated in, I could actually email you the addendums for 2014-2016.

This is the candidate handbook for Kansas for 2016 AND 2017, so it's good for you if you take it now or after the new year.

<Edit I have 18 posts and I need 20 to post a link> I'll try to PM it to you, if that rejects, I'll just post a few more times.

The EXFX code lasts 90 days. You really need another book if you are doing L&H, there is probably 25 pages of changes from your 2013 book.

The PM worked. So that handbook doesn't tell you the actual material, it shows you what topics they test on, so you can see certain things that are missing from your text. The problem is that the state doesn't necessarily test on reality. They test in general rules instead of exceptions, so if you go online for the info you might get the RIGHT info, but NOT what the state is looking for.

https://www.asisvcs.com/publications/pdf/121703.pdf

----------

Department of Insurance
This should answer most of those questions not covered in the handbook.

I have only ever used ExamFX. When I was with Primerica I looked at TestTeachers for the Series 6 and didn't like it, then I looked at Kaplan and found it terse.

I passed my life and health exams on the first try using ExamFX. Moreso than finding things ExamFX didn't cover, its the state asking questions that are context dependent with no context.

Both times I passed my test >=94% even with the weird questions.

I have only ever used ExamFX. When I was with Primerica I looked at TestTeachers for the Series 6 and didn't like it, then I looked at Kaplan and found it terse.

I passed my life and health exams on the first try using ExamFX. More so than finding things ExamFX didn't cover, its the state asking questions that are context dependent with no context.

Both times I passed my test >=94% even with the weird questions.

Yes, that is an excellent point, context plays a big role. 94% is a really good score, that is definitely a check in the box for ExFx.

If you don't mind me asking, how long ago was it? My main concern with ExFx is that they are declining, was your experience more recent? Complaints about uncovered topics are up and scores are down from 5 years ago.

ExFx recently bought TesTeachers, I'm getting a demo of how they are combining the two probably in January. It's interesting with your take on TT, if it will improve or possibly take them a step back.
I think a lot might be learning styles when comparing ExFx vs. TT, I used, and, preferred the style of ExFx when I got licensed, but many of my students complain that there is not enough video etc.

One thing I like about AD Banker is that the video is completely optional, you can use it for a supplement, or skip it completely and not miss anything. Hopefully it will satisfy both styles of learner.

Back