Is the L&H Exam Even that Hard?

Bod

Expert
I'm trying to get a feel for how difficult these exams are so I know how much I need to 'freak out' and how much time I need to spend on the material.

When looking at Pass/Fail percentages in certain states, the numbers aren't exactly inspiring. (Which leads me to think the test is challenging.) But it's hard to know how smart the people who failed are/how much effort they put into studying/how skilled they are at test taking....

I've read it's possible to study for a week and pass. In which case, maybe the test isn't that tough after all?

So on a scale of 0-100, if you were starting off with zero insurance knowledge and were slightly above average at test taking/learning, how difficult would you say the L&H exam is and why?

It's been nearly 13 years since I took my licensing exam. I took my 52 hour (live) class in one week and I think I took another week to study, and took the exam the following Tuesday.

If you take the test seriously, study seriously, and pay reasonable attention in your pre-licensing course... you'll pass.

The test is primarily about industry jargon and technical terms. Study the vocabulary and the other terms go with them... and you'll be much farther ahead.

Take practice exams. Know what the question is asking about - "includes all of the following EXCEPT", etc.

I seem to remember that you can 'flag' a question for you to review later before you submit the exam. Sometimes there will be a clue in another question that will bring clarity to your 'flagged' question, so that can help.

But really - take it seriously and you'll do fine.

I didnt think it was hard at all. But I did study.

Friend of mine took a 2 day class, took the test next day and passed. No insurance background. Not saying that is the norm, but she did it. And I was surprised honestly.

Pretty much depends on which state you are located. From what i heard, smaller states are easier. Larger states make it more difficult.

Get the pass/fail records to see what your success rate will be.

I became licensed in Health & Accident only in PA almost three years ago. That's all I needed to work in a call center that sold MA/Med Supps and PDPs. They paid for the required 24 hour training, which was taught by an-onsite instructor. We actually had 40 hours of training, then I studied every night at home for about two hours and another week on my own. I passed with an 84% on the first try.

Once I started working on the sales floor, I quickly learned from other agents that if I wanted to do anything besides work there I needed to add Life. So I bought an online course from ExamFX, studied for hours a day until I was bleary-eyed and passed by the skin of my teeth with a 71%. The annuities just about killed me!

I have since recently obtained my Viatical Broker license (no testing required in my state if your Life license is 1-year + old) and currently studying for the P&C exam.

Study for 100% but just pass the test. Just make sure you read the questions before you answer and watch out for the word except.

When I saw the word except and had no clue what the answer was I would look for the similar words that may be an answer and choose the odd one.

Pretty much depends on which state you are located. From what i heard, smaller states are easier. Larger states make it more difficult.

Get the pass/fail records to see what your success rate will be.

It's not more difficult. If it was, CA would limit the number of attempts to maybe 3 times. However, in CA (the most heavily regulated state other than NY), you have up to 10 times to pass the exam within a 12 month period.

http://www.insurance.ca.gov/0200-industry/0120-notices/upload/NoticeExamLimits.pdf

Thanks all.

I posted this before I purchased my prelicensing course. The material isn't hard to comprehend, but there's a ton of information to process (more than I expected). Being a slow reader doesn't help.

I'm pretty sure I'll pass my first time around, but I have yet to take a practice test. Just about to start on the Health section after going through General Insurance/Life.

One thing I noticed about my course...they say I need a proctor for my *course* exam. What exactly am I supposed to do? Have some stranger watch me take the test online? I don't know how they'd even know...so I'm considering just taking the test alone or in a McDonald's where I can bring in an impromptu impartial "proctor" if they call to speak to one or whatever their plan is.

My neighbor comes down to proctor me for my CE's, etc. She signs in, leaves me alone and when I'm done she comes down and signs again.

No sense in cheating on the PC or any practice exam while at home - not going to help when you get to the actual testing center and fail if you don't know you stuff.

Back