Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Insurance Pre-Licensing Forum

Reply to Is the L&H Exam Even that Hard?     
Old 03-20-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
Bod

State: Bod is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Is the L&H Exam Even that Hard? Is the L&H Exam Even that Hard?
I'm trying to get a feel for how difficult these exams are so I know how much I need to 'freak out' and how much time I need to spend on the material.

When looking at Pass/Fail percentages in certain states, the numbers aren't exactly inspiring. (Which leads me to think the test is challenging.) But it's hard to know how smart the people who failed are/how much effort they put into studying/how skilled they are at test taking....

I've read it's possible to study for a week and pass. In which case, maybe the test isn't that tough after all?

So on a scale of 0-100, if you were starting off with zero insurance knowledge and were slightly above average at test taking/learning, how difficult would you say the L&H exam is and why?
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Is the L&H Exam Even that Hard?

Old 03-20-2017, 05:38 PM   #2
DHK
Guru
DHK on Is the L&H Exam Even that Hard?

State: DHK is an Insurance Agent from California
DHK is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Is the L&H Exam Even that Hard? Re: Is the L&H Exam Even that Hard?
It's been nearly 13 years since I took my licensing exam. I took my 52 hour (live) class in one week and I think I took another week to study, and took the exam the following Tuesday.

If you take the test seriously, study seriously, and pay reasonable attention in your pre-licensing course... you'll pass.

The test is primarily about industry jargon and technical terms. Study the vocabulary and the other terms go with them... and you'll be much farther ahead.

Take practice exams. Know what the question is asking about - "includes all of the following EXCEPT", etc.

I seem to remember that you can 'flag' a question for you to review later before you submit the exam. Sometimes there will be a clue in another question that will bring clarity to your 'flagged' question, so that can help.

But really - take it seriously and you'll do fine.

Looking for great Retirement Planning Software?
Check out Torrid Technologies RetirementView Pro here:
http://tinyurl.com/DHKRetirementViewPro
Old 03-20-2017, 07:27 PM   #3
Guru

State: pfg1 is an Insurance Agent from Virginia
I didnt think it was hard at all. But I did study.

Friend of mine took a 2 day class, took the test next day and passed. No insurance background. Not saying that is the norm, but she did it. And I was surprised honestly.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:28 AM   #4
Super Genius

State: Mike Siegal is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Pretty much depends on which state you are located. From what i heard, smaller states are easier. Larger states make it more difficult.

Get the pass/fail records to see what your success rate will be.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
Super Genius

State: Northeast Agent is an Insurance Agent from Pennsylvania
I became licensed in Health & Accident only in PA almost three years ago. That's all I needed to work in a call center that sold MA/Med Supps and PDPs. They paid for the required 24 hour training, which was taught by an-onsite instructor. We actually had 40 hours of training, then I studied every night at home for about two hours and another week on my own. I passed with an 84% on the first try.

Once I started working on the sales floor, I quickly learned from other agents that if I wanted to do anything besides work there I needed to add Life. So I bought an online course from ExamFX, studied for hours a day until I was bleary-eyed and passed by the skin of my teeth with a 71%. The annuities just about killed me!

I have since recently obtained my Viatical Broker license (no testing required in my state if your Life license is 1-year + old) and currently studying for the P&C exam.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #6
Guru
goillini52 on Is the L&H Exam Even that Hard?

State: goillini52 is an Insurance Agent from Illinois
goillini52 is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Originally Posted by Mike Siegal View Post
Pretty much depends on which state you are located. From what i heard, smaller states are easier. Larger states make it more difficult.

Alaska's test must be brutal!

"Timid Salesmen Have Skinny Kids." ~ Judge Ziglar
Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM   #7
Guru
Cornelius on Is the L&H Exam Even that Hard?

State: Cornelius is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Cornelius is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Study for 100% but just pass the test. Just make sure you read the questions before you answer and watch out for the word except.

When I saw the word except and had no clue what the answer was I would look for the similar words that may be an answer and choose the odd one.
Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM   #8
DHK
Guru
DHK on Is the L&H Exam Even that Hard?

State: DHK is an Insurance Agent from California
DHK is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Originally Posted by Mike Siegal View Post

Get the pass/fail records to see what your success rate will be.
It's not more difficult. If it was, CA would limit the number of attempts to maybe 3 times. However, in CA (the most heavily regulated state other than NY), you have up to 10 times to pass the exam within a 12 month period.

http://www.insurance.ca.gov/0200-ind...ExamLimits.pdf
Reply to Is the L&H Exam Even that Hard? 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Insurance Pre-Licensing Forum