P&C - Need a Pick-me-up

Selvag818

Well, I made a decision a few months ago to make a career change (in my early 30s) and had a personal contact that was willing to hire a brand new agent with no experience.

I began my pre-licensing courses in Health, Life, LTC and passed all state exams and have since moved on to P&C. Here's the catch... In order for me to begin on May 1st, I have to pass both state exams by April 20th. I am currently still working at my previous job approximately 50-60 hrs per week and in any free time at home, had my face in the computer studying P&C. I am 75% through my prelicense Property course and have found it challenging as the material is foreign to me. I am hoping to get my state exam admission ticket by Monday and take the state exam Tuesday and Wednesday (hopefully won't need to). Once that is complete, will move on to Casualty and will hope to knock it out in a week. Realistic or not?

Just wanted to get your thoughts on my timeline and also hear about your experiences if you have passed these tests with no prior experience/knowledge.

Just curious, why are you taking the P&C components separately instead of at once? I'm currently studying for both at the same time through Exam FX. It is a lot of information to take in at once.

I had to purchase the courses separately and fulfill the required 20hrs of study time plus prelicense test before taking the state exam. May just be a North Carolina requirement? I have a close friend in New Jersey that was able to take a combined course prior to taking the state exam and I am assuming you are from that way due to your name?

Yes, I'm in the Philly 'burbs. Central NJ is only 30 minutes away so I'll be getting a non-resident license there. I'm adding auto and homeowners to my portfolio of Medsupps, final expense, term, etc.

I have both licenses in FL and work with a lot of agents who are preparing for exams throughout the Country. I have found that people who know how to study are actually more effective on insurance exams than agents who are well-experienced. The common key is to be able to provide the answers that the prep material requires - meaning that industry knowledge is not as important as test-taking skills. (BTW: Prelim classroom one or two day "finishing sessions" are excellent if you can find the time to do one in your area.)

Often, the answers that the experienced person thinks are correct, based on his or her gained practical knowledge, make little sense on the exam. However, the novice can often think through the questions more easily than we who have too much baggage in our minds!

With regard to your timeline, it sounds very ambitious but hope you accomplish your goals.

Best to you.

Just wanted to get your thoughts on my timeline and also hear about your experiences if you have passed these tests with no prior experience/knowledge.

Well, I'm going back many years, but in CA, I did a week of study and took the test. At the time, there was only one P&C test (what you call combined).

Don't worry about knowing the material for your job, it, like most licensing tests, has some relevance but doesn't apply to the real world in a large way.

For answers, if in doubt, pick the answer that protects the consumer the best. Odds are, that is the right answer.

Dan

Hey guys, I have not visited the forum in the past few days as I have been putting a lot of time into passing my P&C exams. Happy to report that I passed both and will begin my journey as a sales agent beginning May 1st! I appreciate the candidness and support and I'm sure this is only the beginning of the questions I have for you!

Hey guys, I have not visited the forum in the past few days as I have been putting a lot of time into passing my P&C exams. Happy to report that I passed both and will begin my journey as a sales agent beginning May 1st! I appreciate the candidness and support and I'm sure this is only the beginning of the questions I have for you!

Fantastic. All the best.

As long as you don't spend too long in the course you are going to be fine. just make sure you have a daily plan and stick to it. Schedule your test out in advance that way you have a firm end date on when you plan to take your test. Leaving it open ended will only lead to spending too much time in the course and you will fall into the trap of starting to memorize questions/answers to practice exams, giving you a false sense of confidence going into your state exam.

Back