Personal Lines License in FL

mariemerganser

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Does anyone know anything about the Florida Personal Lines license 20-44? Is this essentially a license created for CSR's to upgrade to higher license? Or...can anyone (with no experience) just go and get this license?

How is the personal p&c market in Florida?

As an independent agent, we are taking a ton of business from the large carriers daily. Mainly because State Farm, Nationwide, and Horace Mann are canceling a lot of policies and if they aren't canceling, rates are going up. It is a very good time for us on the HO side. Auto is very competitive as well.

Same thing as the 2-20 but you can't do commercial, just personal lines.

Respectfully correcting FL P&C Broker, the 2-20 is not the same thing as a 4-40 license.

A 2-20 license allows you to sell and advise clients on coverages. You can go out, meet with clients, collect premiums, and etc. Think of a Producer.

With a 4-40 license, you cannot sell insurance. You can only provide general customer service to clients, for example billing support, endorsement requests and etc. Think of an Account Manager.

Getting a 4-40 is a breeze. Getting a 2-20 on the other hand is harder but doable if you study enough.

I thought he asked about WD-40.

BTW, not to derail the OP's thread here....but I wonder is it possible to sell P & C /Commercial Insurance completely over the phone, without seeing any clients face to face?

He asked about a 20-44.

Sorry! You are right. I stand corrected. Obviously I had 4-40 and 20-44 in mind when I typed it in.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BTW, not to derail the OP's thread here....but I wonder is it possible to sell P & C /Commercial Insurance completely over the phone, without seeing any clients face to face?

Of course it is possible. So long you are properly licensed.

Last edited:

Seems difficult though, how would you evaluate the risk?

I ask because I was told of a story second-hand. Guy had built a huge book of business, $3 million in commissions working one ethnic group across the country. Turns out he never would go look at the properties. Eventually the carrier pulled his contract because losses were too high. Not sure, but I believe they cancelled coverages too.

Back