Taking Maryland Life and Health Exam in 2 Days - Any Advice?

bacon27

Hey everyone,

I am taking the Maryland Life and Health exam in 2 days. I have used the "Able" software to study for the past month or so and feel pretty confident I should do fairly well.

I was wondering if anyone had any last minute tips or pointers to keep in mind as I do my final preparations for the exam. Whether or not it be MD exam specific I am sure anything will help.

Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone,

I am taking the Maryland Life and Health exam in 2 days. I have used the "Able" software to study for the past month or so and feel pretty confident I should do fairly well.

I was wondering if anyone had any last minute tips or pointers to keep in mind as I do my final preparations for the exam. Whether or not it be MD exam specific I am sure anything will help.

Thanks in advance!
Go for it! there should be no problem if you have completed the training and taken the simulation test.

I took the ohio test which would probably be similar but most of the test is common sense i barely studied and got a solid score. You will be Good!!

When taking the multchoice test. Go ahead and figure out which one of the answers it is not. You can quickly get rid of some of the bad answers. It just makes your odds a little bit better. This works on any kind of a multichoice test.

Example:

Who is on a ten dollar bill?

A: George Washington
B: George W. Bush
C: Alexander Hamilton
D: BEN Franklin

Well you try and figure out who it is not. I know it is not A since he is on the 1 dollar bill. I know it is not B, lot of reasons on that one. Could be C. Not sure about D.
So I have it between c and d. My odds just got better. I went from a 1 in 4, to a 1 in 2.

By the way, the answer is c. Alexander Hamilton.

Try asking people today who is on a ten dollar bill, most of the people won't know.

Thanks for the support!

I just seem to have a little trouble with all the different situations where taxes come into play. I am also having a little trouble with medicare questions.

The best advice, STUDY!:)

Take some sour ball candies with you to suck on----it helps keep your blood sugar up and you mentally sharp. I used that procedure when taking my Series 7 exam----it works. i learned from a CPA who taught all his students to do that when taking the grueling CPA exam. BTW, I am being serious.

Last edited:
The best advice, STUDY!:)

Take some sour ball candies with you to suck on----it helps keep your blood sugar up and you mentally sharp. I used that procedure when taking my Series 7 exam----it works. i learned from a CPA who taught all his students to do that when taking the grueling CPA exam. BTW, I am being serious.

I may have to try that, thanks!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
One of the reasons i am having some doubts about the test are because of questions like these that i get wrong on my practice exams.. Here is an example:

[FONT=&quot]#112. An agent talks his client into dropping a competing insurer's life insurance policy and purchasing a new policy from him. The agent is guilty of
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]a)Coercion.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]b)Boycotting.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]c)Rebating.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]d)Twisting.
[/FONT]
Answer D
[FONT=&quot]Twisting is a misrepresentation that persuades an insured/owner, to his or her detriment, to cancel, lapse, or switch policies from one to another.[/FONT]

I chose coercion which i believe is using physical or mental force to cause a person to drop their existing policy and go with another.

I found that the answer is "Twisting." My question is where in the question does the agent use any type of misrepresentation?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Here is another example:

[FONT=&quot]#126. It is the responsibility of the __ to notify the replacement company of a policy that is being replaced.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]a)Policyholder
b)Counselor
c)Producer
d)Executive offer of the replacing company
[/FONT]Answer: C
[FONT=&quot]When replacement is involved, a producer must perform the following duties: sign replacement notice (and keep a copy), provide a list of items being replaced, leave all brochures/sales material used in the sale, take new application, submit "Copy to Replacement" notice, and it attach to application. The replacing company notifies the replacement company.[/FONT]

First off, it frustrates me when there are typos in the questions or answers. (I am assuming "offer" is meant to say "officer") Secondly, my reasoning to choosing D was that the producer acquires and organizes all of this information and submits it to his company. The company in turn sends it to the replacement company. How does that make it the responsibility of the agent to make sure the replacement company gets the notification? I would think he fulfilled all of his responsibilities at the time he met with the policy owner, and turned everything in.

Last edited:
"Twisting" is the correct answer. If you held a pistol to your prospect's head the answer could be "coercion."

I agree with you about the typo----it should read Executive Officer..... In PA, as I assume is the case in most states, there is a requirement that the Producer complete a "Replacement Form" that is used to notify the the issuing company of the fact that another policy from a different insurer is to be replace by the new issuance. They will in turn notify the previous insurance carrier.

Some of the language used in the insurance business is jargon. Every profession appears to have its own jargon that often confuses the lay person. You just have to get used to it and will learn it with experience.;)

In PA, as I assume is the case in most states, there is a requirement that the Producer complete a "Replacement Form" that is used to notify the the issuing company of the fact that another policy from a different insurer is to be replace by the new issuance. They will in turn notify the previous insurance carrier.

Exactly! How is the "actual notification" to the replacement company the responsibility of the producer?? Anyone understand my confusion???

Last edited:
In Pennsylvania, it is required that a PA Department of Insurance (PA DOI) approved Replacement Form be used. It is a DOI regulation. In addition on PA DOI approved application forms the Producer must indicate on the app if there if this app is being used to replace another policy already in force. I am aware that often times a producer will check off the box that says "No" and advise his client to wait until after the new policy is issued before cancelling the other policy. This procedure is strictly not Kosher, but it is done to avoid additional paperwork and, also, putting the agent who wrote the other policy on notice to attempt to conserve the old policy.

Once the new policy is issued and the old policy cancelled it would be impossible for the other agent to conserve the policy that had been cancelled, particularly without the benefit of prior notice that such replacement was underway inasmuch the replacement would be a fait accompli.

Back