Very Young Aspiring Agent Looking for Advice

Dannyfdez

Alright well, after reading post for a couple of weeks I've finally decided to sign up and post my own thread. I always knew I wanted work in some business to business aspect whether that was through creating my own product, or getting into real estate, or becoming a master at internet marketing. Recently I found out about the insurance industry through a friends parents who are very successful in the health aspect of it.
After some research I've picked up a basic understanding of h&l and p&c. At first I was interested in this as a career in my youth during college(I am 17 and graduating high school this year) but then I found out about commercial. This would give me the freedom to work with business owners from different industries and from what I can see would be a career filled with learning and meeting people from all aspects of business.
My question to you guys of the forum is what do you recommend I do to enter the the commercial side of the insurance business as an agent and hopefully some day as a broker?
What courses would you recommend?
Do you recommend I start off with L&H?
Any knowledge that you guys can share on how I can become successful along the commercial lines of this business is greatly appreciated. Thanks- Danny

Hi Danny,
I do have a few "non insurance" suggestions for you, more specifically 4 books I highly suggest you read and if you apply the principles you will be successful in whatever you do:
How to Win Friends and Influence People-Carnegie(forget Shakespeare,this book should be required reading material for juniors/seniors in High School)
See You At the Top-Zig Ziglar (once again should be required reading)
The Magic of Thinking Big-Schwartz
The Greatest Salesman in the World-Og Mandino (there are 10 "scrolls" that you are instructed to each scroll 3 times a day for 30 days and the principles in this will change your life)

These books you can get easily for under 50 dollars. You will get no better return on your educational investment. If you read them and apply them and continue to apply them, your life will change for the better.

Best wishes my friend.

If you want to read those books... they're mostly okay.

My favorites are:
- "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen R. Covey
- "Think and Grow Rich" by Napolean Hill

Are you planning to go to college? It isn't required... but I think having a degree in business would only help you relate better to business owners, reading balance sheets, etc.

Since you have your friend's parents who suggested the ideas... I would definitely talk to THEM about possibilities. Get started as quickly as possible to start learning the business. Even if you're just a file-clerk, get your foot in the door and start absorbing what you can.

Since you're quite young (17), I would also encourage you to pursue some additional certifications to help "offset" your age. It seems that grey hair and designations help present you as an experienced expert... so some ideas will help in this area.

I would consider the FSCP designation from The American College. This is a SALES TRAINING designation with marketing "homework" assignments. Definitely take the class on multi-line sales.

Then I would look into studying for the CPCU designation, if you're going to keep your focus on business-to-business commercial coverage.

Now, I'm a "Life & Health" guy... so if you are going to be in that part of the industry, you may want to check out the CLU designation and learn about business succession planning and other areas to increase your value that much more to the business owner in a planning context.

You've got plenty of time to learn... so the sooner you can get a job working in an agency and get a license... go for it!

Hey thanks for the replies really appreciate it. Think and grow rich is actually sitting on my shelf and I was planning on starting this week. I've read a couple of business books already and my favorite was rich dad poor dad. Will definitely look into all these books.
Although most people would think otherwise I am quite familiar with business and have been educating myself for years on general entrepreneurship/finance/marketing/Networking.
I actually have my adwords certifications in place for Search Engine Marketing which I see as a great supplement in this business and has taught me Marketing of all types.
I'm also working with call options, risky but with the capital I'm playing with can yield great rewards. College originally wasn't on the plan, my family is in a very bad place financially to say the least and I need to start producing as soon as possible but on the other hand I have if not the best community college is in my city(Miami Dade College) and has great articulation agreements with great schools(UF, FSU, UCF) so I would be a fool not to take advantage of this. I have decided I will attend and apply for financial aid while I enter this business at the same time.
Anybody have any advice you can give me on being an agent though? My ultimate goal is really commercial insurance. Any recommendations on how to break into this field successfully?

I would post a new thread in the P&C, Getting Started, or General Insurance forums.

This subforum, while you did pick it based on your career stage, is primarily for those who are currently studying for, or looking for an education provider for their licenses.

You'll get a lot more responses in the other subforums.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the replies really appreciate it. Think and grow rich is actually sitting on my shelf and I was planning on starting this week. I've read a couple of business books already and my favorite was rich dad poor dad. Will definitely look into all these books.
Although most people would think otherwise I am quite familiar with business and have been educating myself for years on general entrepreneurship/finance/marketing/Networking.
I actually have my adwords certifications in place for Search Engine Marketing which I see as a great supplement in this business and has taught me Marketing of all types.
I'm also working with call options, risky but with the capital I'm playing with can yield great rewards. College originally wasn't on the plan, my family is in a very bad place financially to say the least and I need to start producing as soon as possible but on the other hand I have if not the best community college is in my city(Miami Dade College) and has great articulation agreements with great schools(UF, FSU, UCF) so I would be a fool not to take advantage of this. I have decided I will attend and apply for financial aid while I enter this business at the same time.
Anybody have any advice you can give me on being an agent though? My ultimate goal is really commercial insurance. Any recommendations on how to break into this field successfully?

Hello Danny I started in the industry at 22 and had my own off by 27 in South Florida. Extremely rewarding but the effort and time it took made it very difficult. Shoot me an email at [email protected] and I may be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck.

I started in p&c about 23 years ago. Worked hard made good $. It was different in that i thought i would have saved more for retirement. Always loved life insurance. Supplemented this line for years. Just a few months ago delivered my first db to my insured. It was a surreal feeling of helping her out and giving her some peace that she was going to be alright from a financial standpoint. I have since switched gears and now full time and have found a way to market the entire usa for my speciality, life insurance. If you have a slight interest, i am willing to share the plan. Blessings, mike robinson.

If you want to read those books... they're mostly okay.

"7 Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen R. Covey

AMAZING BOOK -

If I could add - "How to be a no limits person" by DR Wayne Dyers - changed my life

I prefer Commercial as it is not nearly as regulated. A lot more straight forward but much harder to get into. You need experience to compete against brokers that have been around for 20 years.

Personally I would suggest a mentor -ish type of deal with a commercial insurance broker that will teach you the ropes.

Last edited:
Hi Danny:

My question to you guys of the forum is what do you recommend I do to enter the commercial side of the insurance business as an agent and hopefully some day as a broker?

I recommend that right now you take a leap in the health insurance. It is one of a time thing that is going on. If you work hard in obtaining accounts, you can always spread yourself out later. A lot of agents passed up the 1st year, and I'm glad I jumped on it.

What courses would you recommend? Florida 2-15. I personally hold 2 licenses.

Do you recommend I start off with L&H? Yes

Any knowledge that you guys can share on how I can become successful along the commercial lines of this business is greatly appreciated.

My personal feeling, is that you can read books all day, and attend this class and that. Insurance is a "People-Network" type of business.

One client you must 'empathize,' the next client can be cold & you work hard in getting them to buy through you. It is also all about networking, and building your client list up. So, to be successful, you have to put your face in public about everyday. Listen to them!

Commercially speaking...I would say the MOST important thing, is be knowledgeable in businesses & the economics around you! Agents think they can just go sell commercially, but do NOT understand the business problems owners have, and why they may end up losing that policy because they over-sold & client stopped paying, etc., etc. You've got to understand businesses & hours they put into it. So, if you meet a start-up, you grow their policy as they grow, for example.

I wish you luck. I believe that you grasped onto a great business. My own daughter at 18 has already started WHILE she is in college. She is starting this year as an agent via our agency.

You can PM me if you need anything.

Back