Your Words of Wisdom is Valued. State Exam Advice Needed

InspiredThought

Hello forum community, & happy Easter. I hope everyone is having an enjoyable weekend.

I'm looking forward entering the world of Health & Life insurance as a career working for a company such as Blue Cross, Humana, or even United health. I picked up a book of the License Exam Manual Health/Life Insurance (2nd Edition) by Kaplan Financial Education online.

Contains 25 chapters; every chapter with end chapter questions. In between chapters contains mini questions while reading. Is the book alone to bear enough knowledge & study to tackle on state exam? If not, I may need some words of wisdom to shed light onto being geared & ready.

Looked between Skokie & North Chicago for a class to study on, however only one that stuck out were kaplan's two day class...I asked about it but quite frankly I couldn't take them seriously. A two-day class for an insurance on life & accident? Is this a serious class?

Last edited:
When I first took my exam we were required to sit in a class. Since then most people opt in for the self study. Make sure you have the latest addition and you should be ok.

When I first took my exam we were required to sit in a class. Since then most people opt in for the self study. Make sure you have the latest addition and you should be ok.

Yeah it's the latest edition. Is that all there is? I understand that is all is required a HS diploma (though I have an A.A. degree in science) but my aim primarily is knowing what their salary ranges. Based on some research the mean salary was 50k to 100k based on the BLS. Is this true?

Sorry if I'm getting too far ahead. I should focus over coming one obstacle at a time studying first.

You won't find many salaries in this business if that is what you are after. Most position in sales are commission.

You won't find many salaries in this business if that is what you are after. Most position in sales are commission.

Oh absolutely my friend. Everything takes practice. When I was a manager salary starters wasn't something to jump up & down until I became more and more experienced getting to that 30k a year. Everything takes time & practice and I assure you that is something I am already prepared for.

Personally, I would look at some type of classroom training for the pre-licensing. They have them that are self-study (recorded classes) or live classes. The video's are fine....its a much easier road than reading a book. Plus they not only teach you the info, but how to take the test. Most of the "packages" come with online practice tests also, which are a big help. Good luck

I messed up on the exam. I got a 71%... come on. I studied the book off tooth & nail, front to back page. I read the book twice. What did I do wrong? I was so sure I passed that thing without an issue and carefully looked at the questions twice.

I messed up on the exam. I got a 71%... come on. I studied the book off tooth & nail, front to back page. I read the book twice. What did I do wrong? I was so sure I passed that thing without an issue and carefully looked at the questions twice.

What is a 70% not a passing grade? I have no idea what I got 15 years ago in my state all they told me was I passed. If you did not get a passing grade I used a system that I could take practice tests made up of the same or similiar tests on the state exam and took it over and over until I could take 2 tests in a row with a 100....When I took my exam I was taking it with two woman retaking the test and they only needed to complete 1 or 2 parts where I had to do all 3, was a little worried when I finished and they were still working on it.

What state are you in? What is a passing score?

Back