Build Relationships with Drip Email

I was thinking daily emails might be too much.

Might have to rethink that!

It took me a long time to wrap my head around this. All the email gurus recommend sending emails 5 to 7 days a week. But I resisted.

Then I read something that said daily habits are stronger than weekly habits.

It finally clicked.

Also I realized the first people to unsubscribe are people who weren't going to buy anyway.

You might lose a few that were going to buy, but you'll gain more than you lose IMO (and in my experience).

This happened today:

Inbound phone conversation

Jack: I've got your magnet on my fridge and I get your emails every day. I can't think about Medicare without thinking of you.

Me: That's the whole point.

Jack and I laughed.

Jack now has a new agent and agreed to leave him a 5-star FB review.

A reply to my daily emails from another client. (Also today):

Dear Alston,

OK, enough already. I’ll hire you.

I will be 65 on Feb. 12, 2018...

It took me a long time to wrap my head around this. All the email gurus recommend sending emails 5 to 7 days a week. But I resisted.

Then I read something that said daily habits are stronger than weekly habits.

It finally clicked.

Also I realized the first people to unsubscribe are people who weren't going to buy anyway.

You might lose a few that were going to buy, but you'll gain more than you lose IMO (and in my experience).

This happened today:

Inbound phone conversation

Jack: I've got your magnet on my fridge and I get your emails every day. I can't think about Medicare without thinking of you.

Me: That's the whole point.

Jack and I laughed.

Jack now has a new agent and agreed to leave him a 5-star FB review.

A reply to my daily emails from another client. (Also today):

Dear Alston,

OK, enough already. I’ll hire you.

I will be 65 on Feb. 12, 2018...

What kind of content you send every day? Who writes the content for you? I know there are plenty of writers out there but there is a lot of fluff out there as well.

I send tips. A lot of it is common knowledge on this forum but is not known to the general public.

But some of the information we take for granted is very powerful. I have at least a dozen tips that can save the right person $1,000 a year. Few of them would surprise the people reading this.

For example: Switching to a preferred pharmacy can cut your costs for Rx in half.

Expand that sentence into 150 to 250 words, throw in your contact information, a soft sell CTA in the PS or PPS, and you have an email that could save a lot of Medicare beneficiaries $1,000 a year and tens of thousands over a lifetime.

(I use the PS to tease the next email. The PPS includes a link to my site.)

If a few hundred people in your target market read an email like that every day, you'll make more sales.

I believe in synergy so I use several different prospecting methods, targeted at the same list, at the same time. So I know there are many other options and the reality isn't this false dilemma but... "Would you rather spend an hour writing one email that 300 people will read or several hours prospecting?"

For me, once I have an idea or an email subject/headline, writing the rest of the email is easy. So I write down any ideas I have whenever I get them throughout the day. I keep a note pad on my night stand and 3 by 5 cards in my shirt pocket. Using a cell phone to record your voice will work too, but I'm more old school. (Plus my wife might "accidentally" kick me when she wakes up, if I use my voice recorder in bed.)

If you are paying attention, you'll come up with more ideas than you can use. You'll get ideas when you study for AHIP and when you attend AEP meetings. Clients conversations will give you ideas. You can create a survey in Survey Monkey with an open ended question and link to it from one of your emails.

When it is time to write, I pick the best idea from my list. I can usually write a good email in less than 30 minutes unless I have to check facts or figures. Or need to write a supporting blog post.

Of course I keep the extra ideas I don't use that day. I have a backlog of subjects I haven't turned into emails yet.

I send tips. A lot of it is common knowledge on this forum but is not known to the general public.

But some of the information we take for granted is very powerful. I have at least a dozen tips that can save the right person $1,000 a year. Few of them would surprise the people reading this.

For example: Switching to a preferred pharmacy can cut your costs for Rx in half.

Expand that sentence into 150 to 250 words, throw in your contact information, a soft sell CTA in the PS or PPS, and you have an email that could save a lot of Medicare beneficiaries $1,000 a year and tens of thousands over a lifetime.

(I use the PS to tease the next email. The PPS includes a link to my site.)

If a few hundred people in your target market read an email like that every day, you'll make more sales.

I believe in synergy so I use several different prospecting methods, targeted at the same list, at the same time. So I know there are many other options and the reality isn't this false dilemma but... "Would you rather spend an hour writing one email that 300 people will read or several hours prospecting?"

For me, once I have an idea or an email subject/headline, writing the rest of the email is easy. So I write down any ideas I have whenever I get them throughout the day. I keep a note pad on my night stand and 3 by 5 cards in my shirt pocket. Using a cell phone to record your voice will work too, but I'm more old school. (Plus my wife might "accidentally" kick me when she wakes up, if I use my voice recorder in bed.)

If you are paying attention, you'll come up with more ideas than you can use. You'll get ideas when you study for AHIP and when you attend AEP meetings. Clients conversations will give you ideas. You can create a survey in Survey Monkey with an open ended question and link to it from one of your emails.

When it is time to write, I pick the best idea from my list. I can usually write a good email in less than 30 minutes unless I have to check facts or figures. Or need to write a supporting blog post.

Of course I keep the extra ideas I don't use that day. I have a backlog of subjects I haven't turned into emails yet.

Hi @Alston , thank you for sharing your insight on how this has worked for you so far. I am fairly good at finding an excuse to reach out to previous clients (in the mortgage industry) but have long thought that something along the lines of a drip campaign could help me even more.

Couple of questions if you don't mind expanding on this topic just a step further;
-Are you using this as a front facing prospecting tool for new clients in any way or is this just an additional value/cross-selling tool you use with your current book?
-Is an email campaign the only medium you've applied this too or have you tried social media or video/audio outlets as well?

Latest posts

Back