Chromebook As an Alternative to a Tablet

Josh

Guru
5000 Post Club
It seems like a lot of folks go back and forth on wondering if they want a laptop or a tablet, especially in the field. I'm not sure how much being able to have them sign the tablet is the deal breaker, but for the $200 I paid for it (refurbished samsung) I couldn't be happier. The battery life is phenomenal (roughly 8 hours), the keyboard is basically full size, Chromium (the operating system) does full web browsing along with tons of extensions (apps) that make it feel like a "real" laptop. Hardly a desktop replacement, but I love this thing. I'm sitting at a diner right now using it and it's a lot less of a pain to lug around than a laptop. I also brought a paper notebook and they're basically the same size.

I would buy one today if the P&C companies here in Florida would get their raters to work on something other than IE.

I would buy one today if the P&C companies here in Florida would get their raters to work on something other than IE.

Which is jackassery. IE is routinely known to be not only unreliable, but insecure.

This is one of my favorites:

image8.png

Aetna doesn't even work on anything other then ie. rediculous.

Purchased an Acer Chromebook earlier this year for $250 that I love.

Do any of the Chromebook options have built-in cellular data capabilities, like a tablet can have, or just Wi-Fi? That's one of the items I'm surprised that laptop manufacturers haven't started including, now that tablets can have cellular data packages.

It's also a potential selling tool in favor of the tablet vs. laptop/Chromebook.

Do any of the Chromebook options have built-in cellular data capabilities, like a tablet can have, or just Wi-Fi? That's one of the items I'm surprised that laptop manufacturers haven't started including, now that tablets can have cellular data packages.

It's also a potential selling tool in favor of the tablet vs. laptop/Chromebook.

Some do, or at least did. They were fairly expensive as I recall. I do what most folks do and just tether it to my phone. It's easy enough to do and if you're out and about you'll have a phone anyway.

I had an iPad and my Dell is a convertible. I tried and tried and just can't get used to the touch screen. I need my keyboard, mouse pad, and M$ Office. I don't want to load websites in mobile view.

I recently purchased a 12" HP Elitebook i7 off corporate lease for $300, popped in an SSD, and that thing cruises. It weighs a few more pounds, but the performance and function is unmatched by any tablet/chromebook/oversized phone.

Some do, or at least did. They were fairly expensive as I recall. I do what most folks do and just tether it to my phone. It's easy enough to do and if you're out and about you'll have a phone anyway.

Don't some cellular carriers offer a usb plug in with 3g capability?

Back