Dropbox?

I use Dropbox for access to my files when I am out of the office or on vacation. Not sure if its made for client files to go paperless.

Anyone here using dropbox? I am looking to scan in all my client files to go virtually paperless.

Any advice or opinions on if this is a good or bad idea would be appreciated.

Dropbox is also great for voice recordings of conversations with clients where they're archived. Within the same office you can use programs like Callgraph to automatically save the newest recordings to a shared folder that you can listen to right after the call. You can even check on your office folk's recordings from your Android or I-phone, etc.

This, along with the ability to access necessary files while remote/working from home or weekend, is great.

I use Dropbox but also Carbonite for everything (too slow for real time backup) and then an on-site external hard drive. You can never be too careful.

Oh, and to address the accidental deletion issue, Dropbox allows you to restore files and folders instantly using the web interface. This has come in handy a few times.

I would be carfull with storing sensitive info on dropbox as it's not very secure. Im paperless but use eagent.net and for a mere $70 bucks a month it's worth it to me.

I would be carfull with storing sensitive info on dropbox as it's not very secure. Im paperless but use eagent.net and for a mere $70 bucks a month it's worth it to me.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think dropbox isn't secure? Amazon is savvy about security.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think dropbox isn't secure? Amazon is savvy about security.

Sorry, Dropbox, I still don't trust you | ZDNet

Dropbox Admits it Suffered Serious Password Failure - CSO Online - Security and Risk

as insurance agents aren't we risk adverse or at least very analytic when it comes to exposure to risk. Not to say that the company I use can never have a security issue but at least I can call them and speak to someone and get answers to remedy issues fast. Try calling Dropbox...YOU CAN'T!!!! you get what you pay for

Its so funny to me how insurance agents complain about the commoditization of insurance by companies like Geico and Progressive yet with the same breath look for cheap and ineffective ways to cut corners themselves.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Let me add that I do use dropbox but only to share files for all my offices and my staff that work from home but we never store any information that has sensitive data in dropbox....just things like forms, fax covers, letterheads, sales logs etc.

Last edited:

When it comes to security, you have to think the other way. What makes you think it IS secure?

By the nature of the beast, the ability to sync files across computers and the ability to share files should make you question security of the platform. It can be done, but chances are, its not something you should store client files on.

The fact the files are not encrypted is icing on the cake for the insecurity of storing in this type of manner.

Dan

Sorry, Dropbox, I still don't trust you | ZDNet

Dropbox Admits it Suffered Serious Password Failure - CSO Online - Security and Risk

as insurance agents aren't we risk adverse or at least very analytic when it comes to exposure to risk. Not to say that the company I use can never have a security issue but at least I can call them and speak to someone and get answers to remedy issues fast. Try calling Dropbox...YOU CAN'T!!!! you get what you pay for

Its so funny to me how insurance agents complain about the commoditization of insurance by companies like Geico and Progressive yet with the same breath look for cheap and ineffective ways to cut corners themselves.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Let me add that I do use dropbox but only to share files for all my offices and my staff that work from home but we never store any information that has sensitive data in dropbox....just things like forms, fax covers, letterheads, sales logs etc.

Great post. I agree. Agents should not save important/ sensitive or private files on Dropbox.

Back