Dropbox?

Advisor06

Guru
100+ Post Club
Anyone here using dropbox? I am looking to scan in all my client files to go virtually paperless.

Any advice or opinions on if this is a good or bad idea would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes and I love it. It's a terrible solution for you to store your client files. You're better off storing everything on your desktop and using something like carbonite to backup everything. It's less messy and it's more stable. You can fairly easily delete an entire directory with dropbox.

better off storing everything on your desktop and using something like carbonite to backup

I have been doing that for years. Works like a charm and ez access anywhere I can get online.

So are you guys paperless now or do you still use paper files? I have been up in the air for a while now on what to use.

I'm paperless, but I'm mostly a Medicare/life guy. What lines do you do?

I do... Life, LTC, Annuities, Disability.

I like having the paper files for something to bring on appointments but I like the easy access of all my client data is a click away.

I love Dropbox. It works as a constant backup, but also coordinates files between my desktop and netbook. I can also login from the internet on my Blackberry or someone else's computer and get to my files.

I originally purchased the 60 gig version when my granddaughter kicked over my desktop tower and blew it up along with all my files. Fortunately I figured out how to restore everything, then uploaded everything to Dropbox and I've been content ever since.

My only improvement would be some way to lock the files or encrypt them or password protect them.

I have all my computers encrypted just in case they're stolen, but I don't like the idea that if the computer is open that someone can get into my "Cases In Process 20xx" file and see any of my client's apps or notes.

While dropbox isn't exactly a secure system to keep client files in, I understand the attraction.

Computer gets stolen? Delete the files from dropbox. Dropbox will then sync the deletion and the files will disappear. Of course, they will need an internet connection to do this. Not safe, but better than nothing.

Dan

Back