Modern Technology Initiative - Agency Management and Beyond

marin

INTRO
I just took over as IT director at an established 4 person Independent Brokerage. We've already made a lot of changes and have many more exciting changes in the pipeline.

My goals for 2013 are as follows:
1. Consolidate Technology.
2. Cut down on unnecessary technology costs.
3. Implement Modern Solutions.
4. Simplify and optimize workflow.

CURRENT SETUP + WHAT WE'VE DONE ALREADY

1. Replaced all Windows machines with new iMacs running 10.8.2 Mountain Lion.
2. Implementation of hosted exchange for email, contacts & calendars - the top of the line solution for business collaboration.
3. Implementation of a hosted, virtual environment, accesable from any device via RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) or Jump (iOS). The Virtual Environment runs on Windows Server 2012.
-Internet Explorer allows us to access carrier websites that haven't been updated to latest web standards (Hartford, Safeco, Traveler's etc.).
-Eclipse (Agency Management) has been migrated to the Virtual Environment.
4. Banished the fax machines and setup eFax through our exchange domain.
5. Implemented one-click, wireless scanning from ScanSnaps (1 per workstation) to each iMac.
6. Setup Box as our Hosted File Sharing System.
7. Launched new website

2013 QUARTER 1 TECHNOLOGY INITIATIVE STEPS
1. Replace Eclipse (Agency Management) with a cloud-based, modern, insurance-specific agency management system. As many of you know, the task isn't easy.
2. Replace Box with SkyDrive Pro (yet to be released)
-Box is great except sync between the Mac and PC (Virtual Environment) technically isn't supported. Dropbox for Teams was a consideration and is a great product, however, as per goal 1 for 2013 (consolidation), SkyDrive Pro is a better fit as it will be a simple upgrade to our existing Exchange accounts and will also be cheaper than Dropbox for Teams.

AGENCY MANAGEMENT

Requirements:
1. Cloud-based
2. Significant investment dollars going into maintenance and development of products/services.
3. Clean, modern interface.
4. Modern backbone (no Citrix server hosting the product)
5. Commission tracking
6. Accord integration
7. All-lines support
8. Good customer service

I've looked at the following agency management solutions:
•AMS 360
•Agencybloc
•Agency Matrix
•Quomation
•Aspire
•Applied
•SugarCRM
•Salesforce

Agencybloc seems the most modern, with a lot of investment dollars, a clean interface, great accessibility etc. The problem is that it doesn't support Accord Certificates of Insurance or some other features. They advertise themselves as a Life/Health agency management but when you speak with a rep, they will say that's just because of high entry barriers in the P&C market. At any rate, after almost joining, I've taken a step back and began weighing other options.

-----------------
CONCLUSION + YOUR FEEDBACK ENCOURAGED!
I would love input/questions. This is exciting to me and I feel like there is so much to do that can help this agency. This is applicable to most insurance agencies, at least from the research I've done. Many have been around for decades and have older managing partners that have lost touch with technology the last 5-10 years.

Looking forward to hearing from all of you!

-Marin

INTRO
I just took over as IT director at an established 4 person Independent Brokerage. We've already made a lot of changes and have many more exciting changes in the pipeline.

My goals for 2013 are as follows:
1. Consolidate Technology.
2. Cut down on unnecessary technology costs.
3. Implement Modern Solutions.
4. Simplify and optimize workflow.

CURRENT SETUP + WHAT WE'VE DONE ALREADY

1. Replaced all Windows machines with new iMacs running 10.8.2 Mountain Lion.
2. Implementation of hosted exchange for email, contacts & calendars - the top of the line solution for business collaboration.
3. Implementation of a hosted, virtual environment, accesable from any device via RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) or Jump (iOS). The Virtual Environment runs on Windows Server 2012.
-Internet Explorer allows us to access carrier websites that haven't been updated to latest web standards (Hartford, Safeco, Traveler's etc.).
-Eclipse (Agency Management) has been migrated to the Virtual Environment.
4. Banished the fax machines and setup eFax through our exchange domain.
5. Implemented one-click, wireless scanning from ScanSnaps (1 per workstation) to each iMac.
6. Setup Box as our Hosted File Sharing System.
7. Launched new website

2013 QUARTER 1 TECHNOLOGY INITIATIVE STEPS
1. Replace Eclipse (Agency Management) with a cloud-based, modern, insurance-specific agency management system. As many of you know, the task isn't easy.
2. Replace Box with SkyDrive Pro (yet to be released)
-Box is great except sync between the Mac and PC (Virtual Environment) technically isn't supported. Dropbox for Teams was a consideration and is a great product, however, as per goal 1 for 2013 (consolidation), SkyDrive Pro is a better fit as it will be a simple upgrade to our existing Exchange accounts and will also be cheaper than Dropbox for Teams.

AGENCY MANAGEMENT

Requirements:
1. Cloud-based
2. Significant investment dollars going into maintenance and development of products/services.
3. Clean, modern interface.
4. Modern backbone (no Citrix server hosting the product)
5. Commission tracking
6. Accord integration
7. All-lines support
8. Good customer service

I've looked at the following agency management solutions:
•AMS 360
•Agencybloc
•Agency Matrix
•Quomation
•Aspire
•Applied
•SugarCRM
•Salesforce

Agencybloc seems the most modern, with a lot of investment dollars, a clean interface, great accessibility etc. The problem is that it doesn't support Accord Certificates of Insurance or some other features. They advertise themselves as a Life/Health agency management but when you speak with a rep, they will say that's just because of high entry barriers in the P&C market. At any rate, after almost joining, I've taken a step back and began weighing other options.

-----------------
CONCLUSION + YOUR FEEDBACK ENCOURAGED!
I would love input/questions. This is exciting to me and I feel like there is so much to do that can help this agency. This is applicable to most insurance agencies, at least from the research I've done. Many have been around for decades and have older managing partners that have lost touch with technology the last 5-10 years.

Looking forward to hearing from all of you!

-Marin

Yup!
<The message you have entered is too short> you have got to kidding me!

are you a life agent? If so agency bloc looks good. If you write P&C then there is a new system you should look at. Go to quikfuzion.com and look at the new Ajunt product. Everything you want at a very small monthly fee (charged by location - not user).

Sent from my iPad using InsForums

Last edited:
"Why would you change to a Mac?"

Is this a serious question? The single most pressing issue with the insurance industry is that companies don't invest in the future and seemingly are unaware that change is necessary. That is why most carriers still haven't updated to latest web standards and must be accessed via IE9.

Apple products are ascetically much more appealing, are more secure, and run Mac OS X, which is by far the most advanced OS in the world.

I totally understand any reservations one might have, but simply put: Apple is gaining market share and dominating new business purchases for a reason*– they make a far superior product.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
are you a life agent? If so agency bloc looks good. If you write P&C then there is a new system you should look at. Go to quikfuzion.com and look at the new Ajunt product. Everything you want at a very small monthly fee (charged by location - not user).

Sent from my iPad using InsForums

Thanks for the tip; I will check it out.

Agencybloc does look good for a life agency, however, we are full-service. Most of our business is P&C.

Last edited:
Hi Marin,

Take a look at Mantacore, a modern cloud enabled P&C insurance product using the latest Microsoft technology stack. The Back office application with a configurable product 'factory' is rendered in silverlight and therefore supports browsers across windows and OSX such as Safari, Chrome, IE etc.

The front office is also browser based asp pages using style sheets for white-labelling broker and direct portals, together with the development of mobile apps that are beyond simple claim notification but aimed at engaging your clients and helping to retain business. However, there is no current support for ACORD standards or USA ISO forms whilst this is not viewed as an onerous amount of development.

I can't post the URL, but just Google Mantacore UK.

PM me if you have any queries.

Regards,

Nav

Hi Marin,

I am curious to see which system you ended up going with. I am in a similar situation, looking for web based AMS that works well with Macs. I am very interested in Aspire, but have yet to speak with someone who has used the software. Can you also tell me why you did or did not choose them.

Thanks!

Hi Marin,

Sounds like you are taking a proactive approach to embracing technology in your firm, that's great to hear! Have you developed a strategy for mobile? If not, you should take a look at Manuscripted (can't post a link, just google it). Their platform is geared towards allowing small/midsize independent brokers to get onto mobile affordably but without sacrificing quality/user experience.

Good luck!

Hey Martin,

You should check out AgentRun. Its still in Beta but its free at the moment. That aside, it works on Mac as well as PC and has an ultra modern and clean interface as well. Also a lot of money going in to quick development and roll out of new features. Its completely cloud based and they have iPhone and iPad apps in the works.

Hey Martin,

You should check out AgentRun. Its still in Beta but its free at the moment. That aside, it works on Mac as well as PC and has an ultra modern and clean interface as well. Also a lot of money going in to quick development and roll out of new features. Its completely cloud based and they have iPhone and iPad apps in the works.

You really should identify yourself in your posts - when I was doing contract work for Quikfuzion - a true cloud based system that already has the features you hope to add - I always identified that. I am now a free agent so I have no need to now. The people who post from EZLynx, QQ etc all do.

There are a lot of shameless plugs on this site, but at the very least identify that is what you are doing.

Back