Need a Recommendation on a Laptop

MrDrClover

Expert
I am going to need a new laptop soon, as my current one is a half a decade old. I am looking for under $600 but is quick to load up in front of a potential client. Thinking I need a 17" monitor as well. Just a business machine so I don't need crazy graphics or anything like that. Any suggestions? I know I can just go to Best Buy and ask them but I would rather hear from someone that is in our field with good results.

Thanks for the help!

I have had a lot of luck with HP machines. Booting up quickly isn't much of an issue if it is in sleep mode. Now is the time as you will find some crazy deals right before and after christmas.

I have decided to replace (as they wear out) all my computers with Chromebooks or Chromeboxes. No more slow and bulky laptops or desktop computers.

I have a Chromebook and two Chromeboxes with 24 inch monitors. Biggest screen on a Chromebook is 14 inches.

Chrome is not for everyone but if all or most of your work is done using the internet that is an option to consider.

For the last few years just about anything you buy is going to be overpowered for what you need it to do.

Do you currently make presentations in the field? What line(s) do you sell?

For the last few years just about anything you buy is going to be overpowered for what you need it to do.

Do you currently make presentations in the field? What line(s) do you sell?

I don't use my computer for my presentations as of yet but I plan to in the future. Really it is just to switch up quotes in front of the customer at this stage. I want it to be as quick and painless as possible. I am currently just selling MP so there is not a whole lot of complexity to it yet but I will be expanding my services as I get better at this and want to be ready for the future. Right now I am leaning towards an HP system as I have experience with them and have not had any real problems. You are right though Josh, just about anything will knock the socks off my 5 year old Dell. Thanks again for the responses guys.

I bought a 13" Sony flip last year. Boots up very fast. Light as a feather too.

I think Sony sold their laptop line off to another company recently though.

I had a 14" HP before moving to a Surface. The 14" replaced a 16". I do not think I would ever go back to anything bigger than 12 or 13 inches. It is like flipping up a wall between me and my clients. An advantage of HP beyond price is the availability of spare batteries.

You can find some deals on refurbished Mac laptops on the Apple site. In the 650-750 range. These machines last for years and seem to always be fast.

These are some great tips and I appreciate them all. I decided to buy the HP after hours of searching the web. Got a killer deal on one so as they say "it was an offer I couldn't refuse". Thanks again all.

One important consideration is that if you have to get a computer with Windows 8, make sure it's a touch screen. It works great with touchscreens, but it's worse than useless without.

Back