Remove Duplicates in Excel 2007???

VaDwayne

Guru
1000 Post Club
I have a new list of businesses to start calling. I would like to create an Excel file for all of our current clients, and then use it to remove those names from my new Excel file, to keep from dialing our current clients.

Is there a way to do this in Excel? What is the easiest way to do it?

2 ways...

1. You can use the VLOOKUP command to find what is on both lists. Then remove the current clients from the new contact list. You will need to make sure both list follow the exact format of the other.

2. Copy the current client list and paste it in the prospect list. Sort them, then the duplicates will be on top of one another so you can easily see them and delete them to make the list only prospects.

Here's the problem, will your new list format the cells the same way that you formatted them when you put them in there? Excel is really not a good program for what you are attempting to do. Access, or any other bona-fide database program is the weapon of choice here.

There is a way to establish a primary key in excel, but two issues with this:

1. It's terribly unreliable when it comes to adding new information to current information

2. It requires you to work with Visual Basics for Applications (VBA) so if you're not into programming at all it won't be a fun process.

Now, do you assign current clients at unique ID? This is the way a database would eliminate duplicates.

Are you still using mojo? What I use on my dialer should work there, what I do is upload the current client list (or any other list we don't want to call), and then have it remove duplicates when loading the new list.

Are you still using mojo? What I use on my dialer should work there, what I do is upload the current client list (or any other list we don't want to call), and then have it remove duplicates when loading the new list.

I cancelled MOJO just because my cold-calling time is getting less and less as I get busier and busier. I am going to try to use Call-Fire and just pay by the hour. I love MOJO but I just can't justify the price for 3 months in a row of not even opening it up, until now that is..LOL
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Here's the problem, will your new list format the cells the same way that you formatted them when you put them in there? Excel is really not a good program for what you are attempting to do. Access, or any other bona-fide database program is the weapon of choice here.

There is a way to establish a primary key in excel, but two issues with this:

1. It's terribly unreliable when it comes to adding new information to current information

2. It requires you to work with Visual Basics for Applications (VBA) so if you're not into programming at all it won't be a fun process.

Now, do you assign current clients at unique ID? This is the way a database would eliminate duplicates.

I have Access on my laptop but have never used it. Unfortunately, the current clients are not clients that I sold but are clients of the agency that I write commercial for. I know that is going to make it tougher to do.

Last edited:
I cancelled MOJO just because my cold-calling time is getting less and less as I get busier and busier. I am going to try to use Call-Fire and just pay by the hour. I love MOJO but I just can't justify the price for 3 months in a row of not even opening it up, until now that is..LOL
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have Access on my laptop but have never used it. Unfortunately, the current clients are not clients that I sold but are clients of the agency that I write commercial for. I know that is going to make it tougher to do.

pay someone on fiverr $5 to remove the dups for you.

It's easy enough in Excel if the data is the same format, meaning the text in one file is identical to the other.

Ex. File 1. Company B
File 2. Company B
File 3. CompanyB or Company B.

File 1 and 3 will match...examples in 3 will not.

Copy everything into 1 file...Sort Ascending. In column B type =if(A1=A2,1,0) In column C type =if(A2=A1,1,0), Then in column D =sum(B1:C1). Drag those down to fill all entries...then copy and paste special as value. Sort again by column D....anything with a 1 is a duplicate...anything with 0 is a new lead.

I agree with the same people above. Technology is great and allows you to get a lot of hard things done quickly.

Back